Tri Glide Reverse Motor

Mykneesbehurtin

1500+ Posts
Apr 27, 2016
Dayton Ohio
My buddies reverse motor took a crap and he was looking for places to get it rebuilt. The two places he found wanted 500-600 bucks, one in Texas and one in Canton Ohio. So I contacted a local shop called Dayton Quality starter and they said yes, they rebuild them, so he dropped it off yesterday and they called today and said it was done. $256.00 and it comes with a one-year warranty. So needless to say, he was more than happy, and I know where to take mine if I need mine fixed.

My buddies reverse motor took a crap and he was looking for places to get it rebuilt. The two places he found wanted 500-600 bucks, one in Texas and one in Canton Ohio. So I contacted a local shop called Dayton Quality starter and they said yes, they rebuild them, so he dropped it off yesterday and they called today and said it was done. $256.00 and it comes with a one-year warranty. So needless to say, he was more than happy, and I know where to take mine if I need mine fixed.

.👍…..

nice find Steve,, Canton was ok a few yrs ago. This should be a great deal.. Cya tomorrow

Another Reverse Motor Issue

Hi all. I have a strange one.

My triglide (2018) reverse motor stopped working for about a week. Then it worked like normal, for a couple days and then stopped. I took it to the dealer just before winter .. they said I need a new starter motor $1600, 175 labor and tax .. well over $1800.

I figured I could change it cheaper ... just took it out and tested it .. it seems to work fine on the bench (pops out and spins). I put it back in and it clicks near the fuse/relay , no action or clicking at all from the starter.

Strangely enough, if drop the starter leaving the two wires attached ... and use a jumper cable from the original ground wire hanging from the trike to the starter casing.. it works.

I have sanded everything down so it's making a good ground when installed. But does not work when mounted ... ??? Any ideas ???

signed

Stumped !!

thanks for any input

RustyB

My triglide (2018) reverse motor stopped working for about a week. Then it worked like normal, for a couple days and then stopped. I took it to the dealer just before winter .. they said I need a new starter motor $1600, 175 labor and tax .. well over $1800.

I figured I could change it cheaper ... just took it out and tested it .. it seems to work fine on the bench (pops out and spins). I put it back in and it clicks near the fuse/relay , no action or clicking at all from the starter.

Strangely enough, if drop the starter leaving the two wires attached ... and use a jumper cable from the original ground wire hanging from the trike to the starter casing.. it works.

I have sanded everything down so it's making a good ground when installed. But does not work when mounted ... ??? Any ideas ???

signed

Stumped !!

thanks for any input

RustyB

Junk , have a macanical reverse installed ….

signed

Stumped !!

thanks for any input

RustyB

Take out the reverse motor it’s not a starter motor. It’s a dedicated high torque low rpm reverse motor open it up and check the brushes. I’m gonna bet they are corroded so just by banging it around a little bit. It’ll work for a time…But Eventually it will completely fail…

Take out the reverse motor it’s not a starter motor. It’s a dedicated high torque low rpm reverse motor open it up and check the brushes. I’m gonna bet they are corroded so just by banging it around a little bit. It’ll work for a time…But Eventually it will completely fail…

Thanks for input , will have to check that out. It was just strange , I bench tested it three times and it worked every time. Reinstall it ... NOTHING !!

What rhino 2 said check the brushes take it apart and clean them until they move easily, on my 2014 I found the ground bolt right behind the motor had paint on it and was not making good connection it had more to do with the cranking but it may help.

Thanks for the input like Rhino said. Next time i get a chance I'll have to check out the brushes.

REVERSE MOTOR

Hi rhino 2,

In case you don't remember .. I was stumped on a reverse motor that bench tested perfectly but didn't work when mounted. You bet it was the brushes ?? I ordered a rebuild kit for the reverse motor .. and just rebuilt it and it works like new . So ..... what did we bet ????? LOL THANKS ..

RustyB

Mo' reverse motor stuff

What rhino 2 said check the brushes take it apart and clean them until they move easily, on my 2014 I found the ground bolt right behind the motor had paint on it and was not making good connection it had more to do with the cranking but it may help.

Hi Woody,

Just wanted to let you know you and rhino 2 bet correctly. I rebuilt the reverse motor today and it works like new. I was stumped because it bench tested fine.

so .. Thanks

rustyB

If you can’t do it yourself a starter generator shop should be able to easily.

Easily the hot tip.

Ya know Harley is gonna gouge the consumer. ( $1800 for HD vs @250 of an electric motor shop.)

If you can’t do it yourself a starter generator shop should be able to easily.

Easily the hot tip.

Ya know Harley is gonna gouge the consumer. ( $1800 for HD vs @250 of an electric motor shop.)

Harley has gouged my extended warranty for a new reverse motor but so far hasn't gotten me. My buddy has replaced a couple on two of his last trikes. This week his newest one started going out. He will have it replaced with a mechanical reverse. I'll do the same the next time mine takes a crap.

We think there are numerous advantages. First of all, you won't be replacing the electrical reverse motor every few years, plus if you wanted to back up a long steep driveway you absolutely could do that. He got an estimate from his dealer a couple years ago and if his memory was correct it was cheaper than $1,800.

Hi rhino 2,

In case you don't remember .. I was stumped on a reverse motor that bench tested perfectly but didn't work when mounted. You bet it was the brushes ?? I ordered a rebuild kit for the reverse motor .. and just rebuilt it and it works like new . So ..... what did we bet ????? LOL THANKS ..

RustyB

Just a hypothetical cigar,..😁..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png