6-speed noise

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to stop a 6-speed tranny from sounding like it's throwing a gear right through the side casing when you shift; especially from neutral to first?

Also does baker or any other aftermarket tranny makers sell a quieter set of replacement gears or even a complete tranny.

Can I down grade to a 5-speed on my 103? Of all the Harleys Iv'e owned (this is my first twinky and 6-speed) Iv'e never had a noisy tranny.

Does anyone know how to stop a 6-speed tranny from sounding like it's throwing a gear right through the side casing when you shift; especially from neutral to first?

Also does baker or any other aftermarket tranny makers sell a quieter set of replacement gears or even a complete tranny.

Can I down grade to a 5-speed on my 103? Of all the Harleys Iv'e owned (this is my first twinky and 6-speed) Iv'e never had a noisy tranny.

Hank...Welcome to Trike-Talk....:clapping:....If you are talking about the Harley Clunk' Neutral to First...Every Harley I've had (4) of them had the Cluck .. Part of the Harley charm i guess?

From cold , neutral to first , the dreaded Harley clunk !

After the initial warm up , I shut down , put in first , clutch disingauged, restart then go .

Trans is quiet with out any clunks after warm up .

Question , why would you want to downgrade to a 5 speed :Shrug:

welcome Hank Try changing to a synthetic gear oil. One of the brands like redline or? It will make a difference.

On my 17 with a six speed I pull the clutch in and wait at least 10-15 seconds before dropping in gear. This allows the clutch basket to slow down just enough to avoid the CLUNK. At least 90% of the time, even on cold idle.

Try blipping the throttle ( with clutch pulled in) before shifting into first, this will help to unstick the clutch plates

All HD trannies are constant mesh, this is part of the mystery clunk, you will never get rid of it completely

What do you use in the primary and tranny for lube?

Use a good tranny fluid and primary fluid also

Welcome to Trike Talk and your first post

Has the clutch fluid ever been flushed?

Every 2 years for sure, if you are not sure, get it done

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png