Trike Trailer???

rmrc51

Lost In The 50's
Reaction score
I might be in the market for a trailer to haul my trike. I currently have a regular utility trailer but the problem is loading & unloading.

The angle of the drop down ramp and trailer bed at the pivot point is a bit too sever causing the trike to bottom when she's at the midpoint. I've also tried elevating the ramp with blocks and then set planks from the ground to the raised ramp but that's a real PIA!

I know I've seen trailers that either have a larger ramp and or lower bed. Do any of you have suggestions for a decent Trike hauler/trailer?

Thanks in advance. :)

Rich,

I have a CarryOn 6'x10' high side that I bought from Lowes for about $1,200. The high side (24") has a bit longer ramp and 2"x6" PT wood plank floor. This model also has an a-frame tongue with 2" hitch and an unusual combination of both leaf springs and TorFlex axle which provides a cushioned ride for the trike.

The inside is actually about 74" width and accommodates my HD/CSC, which has a bit wider and longer wheelbase than most.

I bought a 7'x30" sheet of polished diamond plate for $96 and cut filler panels for the front to deflect the road spray and stones and give the trailer a sharp look. I also added a $149 Gorilla Lift system that allows one-handed lowering and raising of the gate. That 6' gate is very heavy, even for me, and now my wife can put it up and down with ease.

I pulled the trailer from PA to SC and back with the trike loaded and with its 15" wheels, it rides and tracks like a dream at 70-80 mph with no problems.

I do raise the front a bit above level to avoid bottoming when loading on level ground, but I don’t have to use blocks or planks and in fact don't even have to disconnect from the truck.

I plan to eventually switch to a lower profile tire which will lower the bed enough to eliminate the bottoming all together.

I have less than $1,500 in the whole thing and it makes a great rig.

I'll post a couple of pics when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Rich, I had a 2" drop hitch. I turned the hitch over and replaced the ball. The ball is higher which may help with your clearance.
I was surprised how well the trailer pulled being higher in the front.

Rich: I went through what your going through now . I first hauled the Trike on a Triton enclosed snowmobile trailer 102" but it had the tilt bed. I then started looking at all types of enclosed trailers. I have a 2004 Ultra with the Hannigan kit, so I had to go with the 7' wide model at least. After more looking I finally bought a 7' X 12' Haulmark V-Nosed low hauler. It pulls and tracks great, main reason I purchased trailer I'm hoping to head South this winter when it gets to cold in N.Y..

Rich, here's the one I talked about. It pulls like a dream and has along enough ramp to avoid any bottoming of the trike when loading or unloading.

where do you get the gate lifters from?

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png