New user needs help with Motor Trike brakes

Oct 29, 2011
Knoxville TN
I have been combing the forums and have not found a defiinitive answer, so I thought I'd throw this out there. My wife's 1300 VTX has a Motor Trike conversion, and while I was changing out the air bags this morning I see that one of the wheel cylinders is leaking. I was hoping someone could tell me how to find out what part number the wheel cylinder is. I saw the documentation in the manual that is available here on the site. (A GREAT resource, I might add.)

The manual shows a rear end that has four bolt lugs, but this super sport Motor Trike rear end came with a five bolt set up, so I assume the brake parts may be different. Also, on the maintenance manual the same part number is listed for both the wheel cylnder and the adjuster for one side. I have seen references that range from Ford Ranger to Mustang, but no specifics. We questioned Motor Trike reps at Sturgis and Daytona, called them, and also tried several of their "dealers" and are coming up with dead ends... Please someone, help...:Shrug:

I have been combing the forums and have not found a defiinitive answer, so I thought I'd throw this out there. My wife's 1300 VTX has a Motor Trike conversion, and while I was changing out the air bags this morning I see that one of the wheel cylinders is leaking. I was hoping someone could tell me how to find out what part number the wheel cylinder is. I saw the documentation in the manual that is available here on the site. (A GREAT resource, I might add.) The manual shows a rear end that has four bolt lugs, but this super sport Motor Trike rear end came with a five bolt set up, so I assume the brake parts may be different. Also, on the maintenance manual the same part number is listed for both the wheel cylnder and the adjuster for one side. I have seen references that range from Ford Ranger to Mustang, but no specifics. We questioned Motor Trike reps at Sturgis and Daytona, called them, and also tried several of their "dealers" and are coming up with dead ends... Please someone, help...:Shrug:

Sorry I can not help but can I suggest going to NAPA. At least my NAPA guy recognizes alot of parts that I could not identify.

Can't help would like to find this out myself... I think stepping on a plumb would be more like the way I think of my brakes on motor trike, the front are great Harley originals ,but the rear motor trike brakes are almost useless to say the least !!!

Remove the wheel cylinder & take it to NAPA. They should be able to match it up & sell you a new one or a rebuild kit. The kit will be much cheaper & is not a hard job to install.

I believe I have the info here somewhere, and will try to dig it up...I think the MT/VTX1300 kit is exact same as the VTX1800... with the flipped diff, and 80's Mustang brakes. I believe MT sent me the brake part numbers...just to find them.

Ho'kay here it is-
Part # Vender
Brake Shoe- PAB 474R Wagner
Brake drum- BD 60355 Wagner
Auto Adjust kit- F98414S Wagner
Auto Adjust Kit- F98415S Wagner
Wheel Cylinder- F354876 Wagner
Combi-kit Hardware- F78550S Wagner
U-Joint- 369 Precision
Yoke- 2-4-583 Spicer
Flange- 2-2-939 Spicer
Axle seal- 8660 S National
Rear Cover Gasket- RDS 55081 Fel Pro
Pinion Seal- PT 3604 National
Axle Bearing- R 1563 Fed Mogle

For what it's worth, the sheet says this is the parts listing for a 7.5 Ford. And, it's a 5 lug bolt pattern on mine as well. Hope this helps ya out.;)

Can't help would like to find this out myself... I think stepping on a plumb would be more like the way I think of my brakes on motor trike, the front are great Harley originals ,but the rear motor trike brakes are almost useless to say the least !!!

Something's wrong. The rears on my 1300 VTX motortrike were quite strong.

I have been combing the forums and have not found a defiinitive answer, so I thought I'd throw this out there. My wife's 1300 VTX has a Motor Trike conversion, and while I was changing out the air bags this morning I see that one of the wheel cylinders is leaking. I was hoping someone could tell me how to find out what part number the wheel cylinder is. I saw the documentation in the manual that is available here on the site. (A GREAT resource, I might add.) The manual shows a rear end that has four bolt lugs, but this super sport Motor Trike rear end came with a five bolt set up, so I assume the brake parts may be different. Also, on the maintenance manual the same part number is listed for both the wheel cylnder and the adjuster for one side. I have seen references that range from Ford Ranger to Mustang, but no specifics. We questioned Motor Trike reps at Sturgis and Daytona, called them, and also tried several of their "dealers" and are coming up with dead ends... Please someone, help...:Shrug:

Are you sure it's the rear brake cylinder? I ask because I had fluid on the ground once. When I pulled the drum, the rear end seal was leaking into the drum.

No drums on mine it is disc brakes as you can see it is the new gladiator independent suspension !!! My builder even re bled them and they still are not up to par !!!

Might considering taking a look at the flange of the brake line where it goes into the cylinder. I was losing brake fluid on a regular basis on the Shadow until a local mechanic changed the flange from flair to a bubble flange. It's been over a 1,000 miles sinice the repair and I've not added a single drop of fluid.

When taking parts to parts man, might help to suggest he look at applications that use 9" Ford Drum Brakes. Used different sizes of wheel cylinders. Used on both 4 and 5 lug pattern axles like Ford 6.75" integral (integral rears have cast center with tubes pressed in & plug welds and a rear inspection plate) (Pinto, etc), 7.5" integral (T-birds, Mustangs too) or older 8" rear with a cast hogshead that drops out front (CSC & MT both used them years ago). So far, I haven't seen the old very stout & heavy Ford 9" rear or later 8.8" integral rear used in a trike. Even the 8" rear is heavy, but it is lighter than the 9" rear. There are bigger 10" drums, but I have never heard of them on a trike yet.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png