Too Loud: Vance And Hines Shorty Staggered

Bubba_Richard

Reaction score
After playing around on my new trike I've discovered I will receive probably weekly tickets for the Vance and Hines Shorty exhaust. I'm going to have to buy the Quiet Baffles I'm guessing but I wanted to check first if anyone else has them and what they think. I'm getting mainly laughter when I start the trike.

Bubba

Bubba, In my experiance, the V&H 'quiet' baffles do very little to attenuate overall loudness. How they would sound on a trike, with the back tire in a line behind the pipes would presumably be louder than on a 2 wheeler tho. You might want to look at something like a true dual system that you can run all the way out the back.
Of course, I still believe in the old 'loud pipes save lives' but they do tend to upset my GW friends.

I agree with Ultra. I have V & H with the true dual that i modified to the trike. When they exit out the back they are not 2 load.

If we can hear each other over speak with the Quiet Baffles installed than I will be happy. We literally have to shout and everywhere I find the Shorty Staggered sold there is a recommendation for the Quiet Baffles. I actually wanted the louder pipes but these are just wrong and probably illegal in Texas. :)
Bubba

They are probably illegal everywhere if they are that load.
I've ridden in Arkansas, Missouri and live in Oklahoma and have never been stopped for my load pipes. At one time even took the baffles out but they were too load so we put them back in without the fiberglass wraps. I love the sound of my pipes but then I don't have anyone riding with me. Guess I'm just young at heart. There's just something about the sound and the wind in my face.

Couldn't hear a radio over it with a 200 watt amp, at least where it was understandable. Too loud is too loud. I'll find out if the quiet baffles work over the Holiday weekend. It sounds like they only take it down a few dbs and that should be good enough for me.

Bubba

Good news, Bubba :). So........ the weekly tickets won't be for noise now??? :D :D :D

Not trying to be "Debbie Downer" here what's so ever, BUT on long rides doesn't that loud noise get to your head after a while?? :blush: Whenever I have to ride with loud exhaust riders >I get a head ache<.....I'll either ride (far) behind them OR I'll ride ahead of them..............(what about your neighbors/in the morning?)

OK enough said.............Enjoy the ride!!

Ronnie

too loud

I have the Vance and Hines short shots. I also have the quiet baffles, they were still too loud. Firstly on the quiet mufflers the fiberglass packing is wrapped in plastic so they slide in easily but once the plastic burns off they are almost impossible to remove. so to solve that problem I took muffler repair tape and wrapped that around the fiberglass after taking the plastic off. Now they go in and out with ease. Then I got some take off sportster mufflers. I cut the end off the mufflers and found a 3/4 steel baffle inside that had holes drilled in them similar to the quiet baffles. I inserted these pipes into the quiet baffles and welded them in. I now have a exhaust that registers 79 decibels at 2000 rpm. I then got the bike tuned on the dyno. The dyno guy said that with these extra baffles welded in I have more low end torque than with just the quiets themselves. He said it also improved my top end

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miner
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png