Blackstone Oil Analysis Labs

MDO

Oct 11, 2017
St. Louis, MO USA
I just took a sample of my engine oil and I am sending it off to Blackstone Labs for an analysis. I have 6,101 miles on my engine & 2,201 miles on the oil since switching to Lucas 20W50 Full Synthetic High Performance Oil. The CA HD dealer put in Syn3 at the 1,000 mile service & I kept it till I had around 3,900 miles, then switched to Lucas.​ Those miles were mainly highway from CA back to STL. I know switching to Lucas gave me better shifting & it was immediate.

I have never done this before, but am curious to see how that oil is doing. Hopefully, this will tell me how that brand is doing & if I can go longer. I know I rode in several 95-100 degree days.

Anyone try them & how were the results?

Blackstone has a great reputation

I have not used them, how ever the trucking firm my dad worked for used them when breaking in Mack diesels

Blackstone strongly recommended @ that time they switch to Shell oil from the Penzoil they had been using;)

I am curious to see the results.

I hope they don't tell me the Lucas is junk, I have 2 more changes of it left. I have Quicksilver for the diff. & tranny this winter.

Blackstone has a great reputation

I have not used them, how ever the trucking firm my dad worked for used them when breaking in Mack diesels

Blackstone strongly recommended @ that time they switch to Shell oil from the Penzoil they had been using;)

Don't know squat about Blackstone Labs, but I'd be leery of any lab that "steered" me toward another alternate product.

Now if they were to compare my oil to at least a few different brand x offerings, and their molecular laboratory analysis/breakdowns, I might make a switch to a superior product.

Bottom line: Buyer Beware...

I used Blackstone Labs to test four different oil samples over four oil changes on a new motorcycle about nine years ago. I did this to see which oil I preferred for the operating conditions the motorcycle would encounter.

Blackstone will provide you with a side by side spreadsheet comparison sheet comparing for your each of your samples along with good recommendations for your consideration.

I am still riding the same nine year old motorcycle today using the oil test results that were made back then. I have not changed brands and I am happy with the data presented from the oil reports. I have 110K miles on the engine and will continue to use the same brand of oil with oil changes every 4K to 5K miles.ThumbUp

Last edited:
Don't know squat about Blackstone Labs, but I'd be leery of any lab that "steered" me toward another alternate product.

Now if they were to compare my oil to at least a few different brand x offerings, and their molecular laboratory analysis/breakdowns, I might make a switch to a superior product.

Bottom line: Buyer Beware...

Pete, the company had been using Penzoil, had the tests run side by side

The Penzoil had more wax and higher sulfer content

That was Blackstone's reason for switching the Macks oil;)

I used Blackstone Labs to test four different oil samples over four oil changes on a new motorcycle about nine years ago. I did this to see which oil I preferred for the operating conditions the motorcycle would encounter.

Blackstone will provide you with a side by side spreadsheet comparison sheet comparing for your each of your samples along with good recommendations for your consideration.

I am still riding the same nine year old motorcycle today using the oil test results that were made back then. I have not changed brands and I am happy with the data presented from the oil reports. I have 110K miles on the engine and will continue to use the same brand of oil.ThumbUp

Now David, you need to give up the name of this oil. You can trust me, I won't tell anyone!:D

For anyone not familiar with Blackstone, you go to their website & request a collection kit.

They ship in a few days & it arrives. It consists of a collection bottle, a oil absorbing pad & a bag to put it in. You then put the sample & the form you fill out in a black postage prepaid contaiiner & send it off via the USPS. They have a motorcycle specific form you can print out on their website.

They want year,make, model, miles on the bike, miles on the oil. They recommend you ride for 30 minutes to burn of any fuel or moisture, but if you don't & take a cold sample, just tell them.

They also want to know if you took the sample during an oil change or just drew some out, which I did.

They request about a 3 oz. sample & the analysis cost is $28. I will try to post the results when I get them.

Now David, you need to give up the name of this oil. You can trust me, I won't tell anyone!:D

Michael, I'd be glad to share the name of this oil but I don't want to start another oil thread war.:laugh:

Anyway, this $14.95/gallon JASO MA rated oil will only work in "one hole" engines that share the same oil for the crankcase, wet clutch and transmission such as the Goldwing. The Blackstone Lab reports confirmed the lowest "wear metals" from both the upper and lower bearings and transmission gears.

Last edited:
Michael, I'd be glad to share the name of this oil but I don't want to start another oil thread war.:laugh:

Anyway, this $14.95/gallon JMSO rated oil will only work in "one hole" engines that share the same oil for the crankcase, wet clutch and transmission such as the Goldwing. The Blackstone Lab reports confirmed the lowest "wear metals" from both the upper and lower bearings and transmission gears.

David, Jack & I like oil threads! He's always asking me to start 1!;)

Pete, the company had been using Penzoil, had the tests run side by side

The Penzoil had more wax and higher sulfer content

That was Blackstone's reason for switching the Macks oil;)

Jack, I had heard years ago that Pennzoil had a lot of paraffin in it. That's why I never used it. I don't know if it has the same formulation now.

Jack, I had heard years ago that Pennzoil had a lot of paraffin in it. That's why I never used it. I don't know if it has the same formulation now.

At the risk of venturing out on that thin 'oil thread' ice we used to refer to Pennzoil as "Pennsylvania paraffin based crude" and

Blackstone's recommend to switch to Rotella in the diesel's was a good one.

I am a Rotella fan, the dino kind, if I could determine that the synthetic is worth the price, then I'd probably switch. By the way, I'd not be concerned about naming a brand oil, Zook and his mods are pretty lenient on this forum, unlike the 'other' forum. I do not believe TT folks will 'jump you' unless the thread gets really nasty. That's why I like this forum, reasonable riders can have reasonable discussions and opinions without getting busted for every little thing.

Taco Bell, Pizza Hut & KFC are 1 company too!

Yeah.... I like their Pepperoni stuffed tortilla extra crispy chicken bits chipotle mozzarella chimichanga grande... I buy em by the bucket....cheaper that way

Looking forward to the analysis. Thanks in advance for sharing. It will be interesting

PS... I too am interested in the name of the nine year 110k mile mystery oil (reference to Marvel's Mystery Oil for those who remember it :laugh:)

PS... I too am interested in the name of the nine year 110k mile mystery oil (reference to Marvel's Mystery Oil for those who remember it

Good stuff

I use it in the gas and oil

Dad had a oil injector on his pick up truck back in the early 60s

Marsden oil injector feeding Marvel Mystery oil into the intake

He was very cutting edge, growing up a self taught diesel mechanic ( note, there is a difference between mechanic and tech);)

The best lesson he taught me Keep it clean, oil changes with Marvel mystery oil before to flush out more crud, then add just a bit during oil change.

Reactions: MDO
Good stuff

I use it in the gas and oil

Dad had a oil injector on his pick up truck back in the early 60s

Marsden oil injector feeding Marvel Mystery oil into the intake

He was very cutting edge, growing up a self taught diesel mechanic ( note, there is a difference between mechanic and tech);)

The best lesson he taught me Keep it clean, oil changes with Marvel mystery oil before to flush out more crud, then add just a bit during oil change.

A lot of people do the same with Seafoam now.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png