Replacing Rear Trike Tires / Cycle Dealer or Tire Dealer ?

Motogordo

Aug 3, 2011
Delanco,N.J. 08075 U.S.A.
Sept. 19, 2012

I would like to know if you replace rear tires on a GL1800 Trike, do you have the motorcycle dealer or an auto tire dealer replace it ? I am guessing that the tools and the tire removal equipment might be different at the cycle dealer then the auto tire dealer. Where is the best place to have the rear tires replaced where the installer won't damage the wheels or the tires ? Does the cycle dealer order the car tires for you or do you bring the tires to the dealer and have them install them ?
Motogordo :GL1800:

Re: Replacing Rear Trike Tires / Cycle Dealer or Tire Dealer ?

Looks like I'll be doing it at the auto dealer... The stinking motorcycle dealer wants $40.00 per tire just to change them out, new tires not included. No wonder he doesn't have many customers. I keep driving by looking for that gone outta business sign in the door.

He charges $40, because he rolls them down the street to the Firestine, Goodyear, Town Fair, or Pet Boys. And pays $20 each and charges you for the concvence. What would he be doing with a Car tire changing tool?

Sept. 19, 2012

I would like to know if you replace rear tires on a GL1800 Trike, do you have the motorcycle dealer or an auto tire dealer replace it ? I am guessing that the tools and the tire removal equipment might be different at the cycle dealer then the auto tire dealer. Where is the best place to have the rear tires replaced where the installer won't damage the wheels or the tires ? Does the cycle dealer order the car tires for you or do you bring the tires to the dealer and have them install them ?
Motogordo :GL1800:

Motogordo,

If you have a Good dealer he will take care of your rims. I have a small shop do mine when I had my Michelin tires installed and he use plastic inserts on his tire changer so as not to scratch the rims. I also had them put on chrome stick-em type weights when they balanced the tires on the inside of the rim.
Speak to the people who will be doing the job and make sure they take good care of your wheels and tires, if they sound funky or you don't like what they tell you, go some place else. Remember, it's your trike and your hard earned dollars they are playing with, and some don't give a rat's ___ if they scratch your rims or not.
Good luck!

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

most trikes have car rear tires. go to a good car tire shop. have you looked at rims on cars? They should know how to handle our rims. just go to a good shop.

90% of cars have mags... 100% of tire shops sell Mags ( some are $100 + each ). They know how to treat them. My tire shop mounted mine on the machine upside down they may all do it that way.

I took mine off and took them to Just Tires by our house. If they knew what they came off of they possibly may not want to do it due to liability. I know Discount Tires over in Countryside by us wont service my trikes tires due to liability.The salesperson at Just Tires asked me what car and I said Honda. He made a comment that he'd never seen a rim that big on one. But with the billet rims they went over them with me to be sure there was no damage from mounting the new tires on the rims. Considering how hard it is to remove the tires and jack them up I don't know if I would want a tire shop to do it or trust them to take as much care as I do while doing it.

I took mine off and took them to Just Tires by our house. If they knew what they came off of they possibly may not want to do it due to liability. I know Discount Tires over in Countryside by us wont service my trikes tires due to liability.The salesperson at Just Tires asked me what car and I said Honda. He made a comment that he'd never seen a rim that big on one. But with the billet rims they went over them with me to be sure there was no damage from mounting the new tires on the rims. Considering how hard it is to remove the tires and jack them up I don't know if I would want a tire shop to do it or trust them to take as much care as I do while doing it.
Mick,

Did they tell you what the liability was? I would think there was less of a lialbility a car tire on a trike as a car, because of weight, road hazzard, or wear. I would think a person on a trike would not take a trike to places some people take their cars or neglect them as much as I seen on cars. Some people never check their tires and are running on flats, low pressure, or just no thread left on their tires and wonder why they had an accident.
My shop never said a word about liabilty, but again, this shop has a Hot Rod Club so they are used to some strange tires on some neat cars, trucks, or Hot Rods.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

He charges $40, because he rolls them down the street to the Firestine, Goodyear, Town Fair, or Pet Boys. And pays $20 each and charges you for the concvence. What would he be doing with a Car tire changing tool?

Actually he's got a 3500.00 dollar machine that probably will do the job but at my tire store you buy the tires and mounting isn't extra plus you get warranty on the tires. They even fix your flats at no extra charge.

M/C dealer - no! Tire shop - no! Local independent M/C shop does all my work, including tires I take him. He changes fronts & rears on both trikes.

When Ineed to change tires I'll just go back to the shop which did my conversion.

Mick,

Did they tell you what the liability was? I would think there was less of a lialbility a car tire on a trike as a car, because of weight, road hazzard, or wear. I would think a person on a trike would not take a trike to places some people take their cars or neglect them as much as I seen on cars. Some people never check their tires and are running on flats, low pressure, or just no thread left on their tires and wonder why they had an accident.
My shop never said a word about liabilty, but again, this shop has a Hot Rod Club so they are used to some strange tires on some neat cars, trucks, or Hot Rods.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Rosy Discount told me that they would not do it as I am trying to put car tires and wheels on a motorcycle type vehicle. Even though its a trike and it has a Ford rear end and takes automotive wheels they couldnt get past the motorcycle type vehicle spiel. So when i went to the shop by my house even though I bought the tires from Discount tire online I didnt tell them more than Honda. I figured why open another can of worms.

Mick,
Well I least you got the tires put on and I hope all is well. I guess Discount doesn't need any new business at their shop.
Some people are very lucky to have their conversion shop nearby so they can take their wheels, tires, or trike in and have work done on it, others have to find shops who will do good quality work on their trikes.
I guess I am lucky in triple ways: My Hot Rod shops does my wheels: My Goldwing only shop does my work on my bike part of the trike: My trike dealer does all the works needed on the conversion. Can't ask for anything better! And the most travel time is an hour.
Find good shops and people in the area if you can, even some of the Ma & Pa shops are great at times, but you have to look beyond the "Big Box" dealers at times to find them.
Have a safe riding weekend!

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Rosy Discount told me that they would not do it as I am trying to put car tires and wheels on a motorcycle type vehicle. Even though its a trike and it has a Ford rear end and takes automotive wheels they couldnt get past the motorcycle type vehicle spiel. So when i went to the shop by my house even though I bought the tires from Discount tire online I didnt tell them more than Honda. I figured why open another can of worms.

Now that's the smart move, never give a big company a reason to whine and cry cause if you do they will. ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png