Ok,Gravity or electric fuel pump?

Aug 19, 2010
st james mo
:confused::confused:
I want to put a bigger fuel tank in a non traditional place on my vw trike.Will try to put a pic on to help with the answer.Do I have to have gravity flow,or can I use an aftermarket electric fuel pump.I want to put it in the wedge shaped area under the instument cluster,all the way to the floor.Then hopefully have a working fuel gauge also.I know,too much to ask.:no:

Unless the lowest point in the new gas tank will be higher than your carburetor float bowl, then you will need a fuel pump.It is not a matter of quantity of gas and weight pushing it down, or triangular shape or anything else - it is purely and simply a matter of level gravity, the fuel will only feed downhill by itself.

Electric pump will work fine, but I would stick with one of the lower pressure pumps, maybe 3-5 lbs (they can be bought with up to 20 lbs pressure). The final shape of your tank design may dictate the type fuel level sending unit you can use. If you access to junked VWs, you might want to look at/rob the sender and gauge from a 1967 Beetle - it was a mechanical gauge with a cable from the sending unit in the tank.

For one thing , there is no room for a vw gas tank in that area and for the gas gage to work properly, just use the stock fuel pump off the vw motor you have it will pull the fuel to the motor abd will be fine, as far as a fuel gage, well that is another thing,
ray

ahhh heck, drill 2 holes about 12 inches apart and put an elbow 1/4 in fitting it the hole and put a clear plastic fuel line on it and it will show you how much fuel you have in the tank, one fitting on the top and one near the bottom of the tank, and works fine till someone comes along and cut the line, grinn
RAY

ahhh heck, drill 2 holes about 12 inches apart and put an elbow 1/4 in fitting it the hole and put a clear plastic fuel line on it and it will show you how much fuel you have in the tank, one fitting on the top and one near the bottom of the tank, and works fine till someone comes along and cut the line, grinn
RAY

HA....done this before.....;):laugh:

I have an electric fuel pump with a "shut off valve" attached (shuts the fuel off when power is shut down) I also have a fuel gauge on the 9 gal. dune buggy allum. round tank. I had the mount for the gauge put in by an experienced welder. Works great.
Also if you use the Weber 34ict's for carbs and don't have a "shut off valve" installed make sure you shut the fuel off if you are going to be off of it for awhile. The fuel will drain down into your engine and mix with the gas and there goes your seals, etc., Don't ask me how I found that out.........
You can see the gauge and mount at the top left side of the tank in the picture........

QUOTE=Doc37;46978]Now that is one sweet looking trike, love everything you have done to it Don. How is it when that second stage on your Webber kicks in?[/QUOTE]

You can deffenty feel it kick in when you floor it.......:beerchug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png