Reverse on FLSTC Trike Conversion

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced problems when installing Vance and Hines Short Shots on 2011 Softail with the Motor Trike Reverse Gear? Most of their installations show the shift lever at the rear of the transmission but mine is at the front. I ordered the pipes but now worried if they are going to work.

Short Shots on Softail with reverse gear

Got them today and they won't work. The reverse gear extends the clutch actuator out almost an inch and the pipes with not line up.

Got them today and they won't work. The reverse gear extends the clutch actuator out almost an inch and the pipes with not line up.

It should not move it out by an inch, should be more like 1/2 to 3/4 as that is the thickness the reverse kit's mechanism adds, and though I have not installed a MT reverse, they are built off the same design as the Champion reverse kits I install.

This is gonna sound shade tree, but Brad the main Hannigan tech installer who has done hundreds of installs, taught me this years ago. The common fix is to shim the pipes out at the bottom frame exhaust standoff mount using washers, and secure it as you normally would. It will be close, but in most cases it will clear.

Leave both the front and rear upper exhaust head pipe nuts loose while shimming and tightening the lower frame standoff mount bolt, then tighten both front and rear head pipe nuts.

It should not move it out by an inch, should be more like 1/2 to 3/4 as that is the thickness the reverse kit's mechanism adds, and though I have not installed a MT reverse, they are built off the same design as the Champion reverse kits I install.

This is gonna sound shade tree, but Brad the main Hannigan tech installer who has done hundreds of installs, taught me this years ago. The common fix is to shim the pipes out at the bottom frame exhaust standoff mount using washers, and secure it as you normally would. It will be close, but in most cases it will clear.

Leave both the front and rear upper exhaust head pipe nuts loose while shimming and tightening the lower frame standoff mount bolt, then tighten both front and rear head pipe nuts.

"Got them on just had to notch the heat shield for the rear pipe. Would have been neater if I had the right grinder"

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png