RV Toy Hauler Traveling vs Trike/motel traveling

ISP-FL

600+ Posts
Mar 16, 2017
Lake Suzy, FL USA
In the process of trying to determine which is going to be cheaper, traveling the country in our 44' Toy Hauler or leaving it on our leased lot in Florida and taking off on the Trike.

For the past several years we have been full time traveling around the country in the RV. Mixed in there we have also let the RV sit on a lot and taken off on extended Trike rides of up to 2 weeks, staying in motels. Generally speaking the weeks/months of traveling in the RV comes out cheaper. Now however with diesel going well over $5 per gallon in most of the country with no end in sight, I'm not sure.

One thing is for sure, I'm not letting it stop us from our travels. I'm heading to the southwest this year no matter what the fuel/gas prices do.

In the process of trying to determine which is going to be cheaper, traveling the country in our 44' Toy Hauler or leaving it on our leased lot in Florida and taking off on the Trike.

For the past several years we have been full time traveling around the country in the RV. Mixed in there we have also let the RV sit on a lot and taken off on extended Trike rides of up to 2 weeks, staying in motels. Generally speaking the weeks/months of traveling in the RV comes out cheaper. Now however with diesel going well over $5 per gallon in most of the country with no end in sight, I'm not sure.

One thing is for sure, I'm not letting it stop us from our travels. I'm heading to the southwest this year no matter what the fuel/gas prices do.

I think you should forget the word "cheaper" and do what makes you happy.

We are obviously all on the same page.

I did some estimates comparing the two ways for our travel. Considering inflation is still driving everything up to record levels I could only estimate some things. For example, I averaged motel room prices at $110 per night and capped diesel at $5.50 per gallon. Of course both of these could rise another 20% to 30% by the time August comes around.

Anyway, towing our Toy Hauler still comes out at around 40% less money overall. We will leave FL in a couple weeks, camp around family up north for a couple months, then head west. Can't take the money with me but I can take the memories!

Just curious… what kind of campground prices have you found and is electric extra at the site?

The only CGs that we pay extra for electric is on our leased site in central Florida. We lease it annually for $400 per month so the electric is in our name, water/sewer is free.

While traveling during the rest of the year we generally stay in regular CGs that provide electric, water, and sewer at each site. These places charge anywhere from $25 to $50 per night. Once and awhile we will dry camp in a Walmart or Cabelas parking lot if allowed. There is a park district owned CG up in central Illinois that is located around our family. They have sites for $330 a month (including all utilities) if you stay for a couple months with them.

We are full time RVers and each year have spent between $9,000 and $11,000 in campground fees. However, when we had our house the taxes and utilities were over $8,000 per year.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png