Park brake

Helen Tramp

Aug 9, 2019
Chilliwack, BC
My Suzuki Boulevard C50 Lehman Tramp trike conversion (2007, I think) is at the full extent of its park brake cable adjustment.

I need a new part.

I am in Canada.

Any help locating the part much appreciated. 😎

My Suzuki Boulevard C50 Lehman Tramp trike conversion (2007, I think) is at the full extent of its park brake cable adjustment.

I need a new part.

I am in Canada.

Any help locating the part much appreciated. 😎

Helen, Welcome to Trike Talk from West Virginia, USA.

The Tramp has drum brakes that do occasionally need adjusting at the wheels, usually at 5-10K intervals.

It sounds like someone might have been adjusting the brake shoes via the parking brake cables and not the proper way.

My suggestion to you is to have the brakes adjusted properly first before considering a cable replacement.

1. Back off the parking brake cables (each) about 1 "

2. Adjust the brake shoes at each wheel (until there is a slight drag at each wheel, press down on the brake pedal several times and check or adjust for a slight drag)

3. Adjust parking brake so that it applies at the 5th or 6th click on the handle.

Thanks

Thanks for this great, detailed advice. ❤

It does seem odd this has happened, as the trike only had 3000km on it when I bought it, so it really cannot have had its brakes adjusted many times.

Given its extremely low previous mileage, (and I have only owned it for one year) I was really surprised when I was told about the patk brake this time.

Does that prompt any other explanations, or foes that still seem like the most likely scenario?

Thanks for the consideration of my problem. 🌞

Hi Helen. Welcome to trike talk Just check out LEE H. MANN advice, he is the resident expert on Lehman Trikes. The brakes could not be adjusted correctly by the original installer.

[h=2][/h]

Hi rhino2 and Avatar.

Thanks for the welcome. 😎

I absolutely trust Lee H Mann's advice. He is obviously the expert.

It is wonderful to have someone with that knowledge and ecperience willing to share it for free. ❤❤❤

Thanks for this great, detailed advice. ❤

It does seem odd this has happened, as the trike only had 3000km on it when I bought it, so it really cannot have had its brakes adjusted many times.

Given its extremely low previous mileage, (and I have only owned it for one year) I was really surprised when I was told about the patk brake this time.

Does that prompt any other explanations, or foes that still seem like the most likely scenario?

Thanks for the consideration of my problem. 🌞

Another thought comes to mind, the original owner could have ridden the trike with the emergency or parking brake lever partially applied causing the shoes to wear prematurely too.:Shrug:

Lehman Bandit parking brake

Another thought comes to mind, the original owner could have ridden the trike with the emergency or parking brake lever partially applied causing the shoes to wear prematurely too.:Shrug:

I'm not sure how close your conversion is to the Bandit that I used to have. But when I bought it, as a basket case that hadn't run in seven years, the parking brake didn't work at all. Being an old school shadetree mechanic, I had an old brake 'spoon' that is used for adjusting drum brakes. I think they are still available at some auto part stores.

My rear brakes were so badly out of adjustment that I was amazed that they even engaged.

I'm not sure how close your conversion is to the Bandit that I used to have. But when I bought it, as a basket case that hadn't run in seven years, the parking brake didn't work at all. Being an old school shadetree mechanic, I had an old brake 'spoon' that is used for adjusting drum brakes. I think they are still available at some auto part stores.

My rear brakes were so badly out of adjustment that I was amazed that they even engaged.

Rich,

It has the same basic system as your Bandit had.:wave4:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png