Sidecar questions and help?

Smilam

Sep 15, 2013
Olathe Ks
A friend of mine thinks he is interested in getting a sidecar for his Harley. Are there any sidecar owners around Kansas City that he could talk to to learn the ins and outs of having a sidecar? Any clubs, groups, or like minded people in the area? I see a Ural on the streets once in a while but have never been in a position to talk to him.

Have had a Spalding and a Harley sidecar. Owned the Spalding while dating a young lady with MS. The Spalding was a clam shell style where the top and front opened up allowing her east access. The Harley car you have to climb into which she could do.

Riding with a side car you don't ride you DRIVE. AND getting one set up can be a chore. The toe-in and camber can be a pain. If you ride roads with a pretty good center crown you're going to get a dang good shoulder workout. I loved 'em once I got use to them. Have Parkinson's and had to go to a trike because of balance issues. Wish I'd kept the sidecar....would have been a hell of a lot cheaper and accomplish the same thing.

First thing you have to do is replace the triple tree to a greater angle and install a reverse in the tranny.

In making turns you go into a right turn and power out. Left turn you power into the turn then let off. Not the easiest thing to get use to but works great. I use the same for riding my trike.

My two Rotts loved the sidecar.

8~\o

Have him join up. There is a lot of good knowledge here. Not everything with a sidecar is straight forward. Answers to question need to be explained . I have two and there are major difference in them. Cost is just one of them.

Road Glide/CSC sidecar rig

I'm on two wheels, but my wife rides a California Sidecar Friendship 2 SE mounted on a 2019 Harley Road Glide. I'm not sure which was the worst part, trying to mount the bike or waiting 5 months for the paint shop to match the HD paint for the sidecar to match the new bike.

I *think* we've got it dialed in now, but I think the tire will need replacing.

That said, we love the sidecar rig. It's the 2nd one we've had, wife even ran up to Hood River OR to take a class from Adventure Sidecars on sidecar driving (sadly they dont offer the class any longer).

Wife loves piloting that rig, and we've been from our home in Utah to Maine, Kamloops BC, West Virginia, Missouri, plenty of long rides. It's novel (lots of trikes, but not many people have sidecars), its easier to ride in bad weather, carries a lot of stuff, and is a sure conversation starter at any gas pump.

I would advise your friend to start with a used rig, since new can be quite an investment for something your buddy may not enjoy.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png