Level Tongue???

DTR 11TG

Aug 27, 2011
Evansville, IN
I was driving my pickup back from IN early today and saw quite a few trikes, at least 6 were towing utility & camper trailers. I noticed 4 of them towing with the tongue sloping down toward the hitch, that doesn't look right to me and my Mini Mate tows level. How do you have yours set up and doesn't sloped down cause problems?

I like mine sloping down toward the hitch. I always put 10-15% of the weight on the hitch and the trailers follow nicely. I would think that if the hitch were too high, that the trailer would wag.

I like mine sloping down toward the hitch. I always put 10-15% of the weight on the hitch and the trailers follow nicely. I would think that if the hitch were too high, that the trailer would wag.

:Agree:. I've always heard that you want about in inch of down sloop in the tongue. I probably have a little more than that, but I pack to keep the tongue weight in that 10 - 12 % range and it all works out great for me.

Yep, most any Trailer/Vehicle combination, including Trikes and Motorcycles, works best with a slightly downhill angle to the Tow Vehicle..."Flat" at the worst, but NEVER running uphill.....ThumbUp

If it was just a slight angle like most of you are describing I would most likely not noticed, they were at quite an angle and unlike 2 other trike & trailers I saw that morning. If I had to guess there had to be at least a 6in drop from the front of the trailer to the hitch, that seems & looks like far too much. On at least 2 of them it was bad enough my first thought was, that looks like it would try to lift the front end under hard braking.

I guess I'm learn more once I can get my trailer set up the way I want and get on the road, doing the traveling I been wanting to do.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png