Bonus Day!

Doug D.

"Tin Man"
May 5, 2012
Vienna, MO USA
It’s the middle of January in the Mid West. Temperatures are warmer than average, with lows in the forties and highs expected in the fifties. There’s not a cloud in the sky and while weather like this in January usually brings rain, there’s no chance predicted until late the next night. Perfect…

I stepped out this morning to a temp of 42 degrees, and while it’s most definitely not summer, it’s a damn sight warmer than the brutal bone chilling cold of the last several weeks. There in the garage sits that gleaming machine I bought late last year, barely ridden since then and covered with a light patina of dust. I’ve waited for a day like this, a day to get in the sun and feel the wind, even if it’s just long enough to get the oils moving and shake out the cob webs.

Warmer than average or not, bonus days still call for the right gear. At sixty miles an hour, those fifty and sixty temps can feel like thirty, especially in lower lying areas. So, out come the chaps, heavy leather jacket and cold weather gloves, a bandana for the face, helmet skirt for the ears, and so on. Check the oil, air up the tires and we’re ready.

Seems like a lot of hassle for what might end up being just a short ride. More trouble than it’s worth, right? Maybe to most, but to a rider, days like these truly are a gift. They’re a rare chance to scratch that interminable itch that plagues us between the seasons, a chance to soothe a restless soul and get some relief from that burning hunger for the open road and the wind, if even for a short time. Just a few miles sometimes, is all it takes. Just a few miles and I’m good until the next chance to get out, which could be weeks or even months. Given that, I’ll take every bonus day I can get.

So enough of this. Go wipe her down, gear up and get out there. Go find yourself a little peace…

See ya out there!

I t sure beat up the snow here on the eastern coast, taking full advantage to get outdoor stuff done ✅Got thru about 1/4 of my wood splitting, will continue tomorrow and hopefully finish b4 the next chill sets in . The more I get done now the more time to play later :scooter:If it wasn’t for this dam splitting detail, I’d be on the lake ice fishing as this is the peeeerfect weather :fishing: However the chores must get done first.

I worked on the nomad today.New shield and a clean up.Flasher was acting up on the car so I swapped it out.I'll have a day off this week and the trike will get some attention.The temps will be ok for riding to work but the salt is so thick on sides and in the middle of the road it looks like a truckload of sand has dropped.I seriously could sweep up 100lb feed sack full in no time.Supposed to rain monday but just an inch so i'll be waiting it out a bit longer and living through those that can ride.

I worked on the nomad today.New shield and a clean up.Flasher was acting up on the car so I swapped it out.I'll have a day off this week and the trike will get some attention.The temps will be ok for riding to work but the salt is so thick on sides and in the middle of the road it looks like a truckload of sand has dropped.I seriously could sweep up 100lb feed sack full in no time.Supposed to rain monday but just an inch so i'll be waiting it out a bit longer and living through those that can ride.

NOMAD ? DoTell:wave4:

Everyone in TN has an old muscle car. I was waiting for a great pic of a 57 Nomad. Jim

Had a 55 that needed quarter panels and wheel wells. At the time neither replacement was available, after I sold it someone in Canada was stamping out replacements. Talk about being pissed off 😤. Gota sell my 37 Ford b4 I even think of another. Then all bets ar off and the ranch will get refinanced for another turn key. :clapping:

Marc, nice truck. I grew up in Madisonville, TN. Had lots of stuff while growing up. Gave up a 68 roadrunner, when I went in the Army in 68. Out here in NM there are a lot of old, not rusted down, vehicles. People just don't want to part with them or they are a mint. Jim

Thanks.It was a first car.Grandpa traded an old work truck for it and had it painted.Still a few old cars floating around but the ones sitting out or in barns are few around here.I see more out riding around Wartburg and places like that.I'd say Madisonville is still a good area to.Thats about 50 miles from where I am.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png