will conversion make motor run hotter

Hank62

Mar 7, 2017
Bournville, OH, USA
My o3 does not have water cooled engine so can I expect it to run hotter with a trike conversion, I have made 4 trips to black hills rally and have seen daily temps around 116, auto were blowing tranny fluid on road ways making for un safe riding. I have road a few different models out there none ever over heated, I spent time riding from morning till after dark, did not spend it in camp grounds talking about riding, will I have to worry with air flow keeping engine cool with trike conversion,

The plans are to make long runs out west or down southern states. will a add on oil cooler be a must?

will be riding 2 up most time and pulling a trailer sometimes.

I want to be able to ride long distance and only need to change fluids if needed.

I would guess that you will need an oil cooler, preferably one with a fan. Air flow past the body of a trike is not as efficient as it is on a two wheeler. Plus you are adding a lot of weight with the trike kit.

My o3 does not have water cooled engine so can I expect it to run hotter with a trike conversion, I have made 4 trips to black hills rally and have seen daily temps around 116, auto were blowing tranny fluid on road ways making for un safe riding. I have road a few different models out there none ever over heated, I spent time riding from morning till after dark, did not spend it in camp grounds talking about riding, will I have to worry with air flow keeping engine cool with trike conversion,

The plans are to make long runs out west or down southern states. will a add on oil cooler be a must?

will be riding 2 up most time and pulling a trailer sometimes.

I want to be able to ride long distance and only need to change fluids if needed.

Yes, it will run hotter.

Less air flow

More weight

More wind resistance is probably the biggest factor.

An Oil Cooler will help, but there are many things you can/should do to cool down the engine.

Here is a REPORT on why & how to cool down a Twin Cam engine.

Kevin

One of the simplest and most effective ways to cool your engine and engine oil is to install a set of the Love Jugs twin fans. Very simple idea, but they are well built and they just work.

Your air cooled VTwin engine has cooling fins for a reason. That reason is because those fins act as giant heat sinks and are the most effective and in most cases the only way Harley motors can be cooled since most are air cooled only.

Even the newer 'water heads' are not truly water cooled as they do not use water jackets around the cylinders like the metric bikes do. The piston and cylinders are the source of the heat and when you cool the cylinders you cool the oil that circulates through them.

Read more from testers HERE.

Yes, it will run hotter.Less air flow Kevin

Would appreciate an explanation of how adding a trike conversion restricts or lessens air flow over/around the engine when the conversion is behind the motor???

With the fenders hanging out on a trike, creating a "back draft" at speed, I would think this would flow more air on the motor, especially the rear cylinder of a V-twin!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png