Does anyone know the maintenance schedule?

Boscoporp

TOI - North Carolina
Jul 28, 2009
Mooresville NC
I bought my 2003 Gold Wing about a year ago. It only had 3000 miles on it when I bought it. I have changed the oil a couple of times but now I have 18,000 miles on it I have to assume that nothing has ever been done.

I am getting ready to have it serviced at a Trike Shop. I am thinking that I should have it tuned, change the air filter and change the coolant. Maybe have him check the brakes and other fluids?

Is there anything else that should be done by the book. I don't have any books on this Trike.

Stan, If you are having a shop do the work then they should have the book on what needs to be done. I don't have a 1800 so I do not have a book. I usually purchase the book when I get a bike. Some things are mileage triggered some are time triggered others are either/or.

You will have two things to maintain: The motorcycle and the trike.

You should be able to get a book on both from their respective manufacturers.

I read the Goldwing maintenance schedule at least monthly so I do not miss anythig and have had the trike into a shop to fix the differential and lube the items that need greasing.

The Goldwing requires the coolants to be changed every 2 years. The book also says every 12,000 miles for the air filter which IMHO is nonsense unless you ride a lot in wet or very dusty weather. Most wingers change their air filter every 30,000 miles as its a 2.5 to three hour job to do so.

Engine oil with filter is due every 8000 miles although I do mine at 6000. Even learned to do it myself.

That is a great resource for sure. I picked up a Honda Manual on line and it has come in handy on many occasions as I do most of my trike/bike work myself. Enjoy your ride and ride safe.

Hey Wheels, we missed you at Daytona during the Biketoberfest luncheon. Hope to see you again at the Bike Week. :yes: As for the maintenance, at 12000 miles the manual calls for the change of oil/filter, air filter, chutch/brake fluids, and just check the rest.

No need to change air filter are plugs.
Flush brake fluid and clutch fluid,good time to check every thing over real good look for any lose bolts are nuts.
If you are going to be putting it up for the winter go ahead and change the oil and oil filter,fill the tank and put some stay bil in it and take it out for a short ride to get the stabil all through the fuel system.
Clean the bike real good put some moth balls under the seat in in the trunk and around the bike to keep the mice away.
Also a good time to clean and check your battery connections.
Put the bike on a battery tender just be sure to check the battery ever so often if you have a wet cell battery.
Cover it up.
DO NOT GO OUT AND START IT UP EVER SO OFTEN AS THIS WILL CAUSE CONDENSATION IN THE EXH. SYSTEM AND CAUSE IT TO RUST OUT.
Come riding season again uncover it and ride.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png