Carrying Extra Fuel When Traveling---Problem Solved (for me)

MDO

Oct 11, 2017
St. Louis, MO USA
I have been kicking around the idea of carrying extra fuel on any longer trips I may take in the future & how to do it.

I have considered the 1 gallon jugs made for saddlebags & fuel storage bottles, but a recent trip to Lowes solved the issue for me.

I found these quart cans of TruFuel that are ethanol free, 92 octane (minimum) & have a 5 year shelf life with included stabilizers.

They were $5.96 + I get a Vet's discount. 2 of these will make me feel better on the road.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TRUFUEL-32-fl-oz-4-Cycle-Fuel/3654390

Hey thanks for the heads up. Some might think the price is a little steep for fuel until they are stuck in the middle of nothing but brush. More then once I have gone to fuel up in the middle of nowhere to find the station is closed. They say 2 year shelf life after opening. Trust me there is no need to worry about it if you looking for the next place to fuel. Thanks again.

Reactions: MDO
Hey thanks for the heads up. Some might think the price is a little steep for fuel until they are stuck in the middle of nothing but brush. More then once I have gone to fuel up in the middle of nowhere to find the station is closed. They say 2 year shelf life after opening. Trust me there is no need to worry about it if you looking for the next place to fuel. Thanks again.

Your welcome. Yes, 5 year shelf life prior to opening & 2 years after opening. I'm already thinking of rolling them in bubble wrap & bagging them. In 5 years, I will use & re-purchase.

Yes they are pricey, but I was going to spend $20-25 on a container.

$23.00 a gallon is more than "a little steep". It's outrageous.

If I ever travel to an area where fuel is scarce I'll find another solution.

I think vigilance and common sense is a priceless commodity when triking some of those desolate roads out west. I for one have a hard time stopping and getting fuel when I have 1/2 a tank. I’ve never run out but I’ve been at the bottom of the tank a few times and must admit I passed a good chance to top the tank. With the internet and map apps and gas apps it’s not that difficult to have a travel plan that includes fuel stops for each day. Not saying it’s not peace of mind to have a $5 quart of fuel in the trunk but most the time I was close to “out of gas” because I didn’t wanna pay the price for gas at that little station in the middle of “nowhere”. My wife is my common sense factor when traveling so I try to take her as much as possible. :wave4:

There's another product named '50 Fuel' that is very similar and may be a bit less costly. Back when I was in the outdoor power equipment business, most of the customes would use the product exclusively in the last fuel load of the season because it had no alcohol, but did have stabilizers so their equipment would more likely start up again in the spring. I do not recommend Sta-bil. Never had any luck with the stuff - ended up having to service the fuel systems anyway.

There's another product named '50 Fuel' that is very similar and may be a bit less costly. Back when I was in the outdoor power equipment business, most of the customes would use the product exclusively in the last fuel load of the season because it had no alcohol, but did have stabilizers so their equipment would more likely start up again in the spring. I do not recommend Sta-bil. Never had any luck with the stuff - ended up having to service the fuel systems anyway.

I switched from Sta-bil to Seafoam & use it for several things.

I found a can fuel at Walmart, but it was only 90 octane, vise the 92 octane rating for my choice

I've carried these I have a 2 gallon that fits in the Tri Trunk laying flat, leak proof, fume proof:

https://n.stuccu.com/s/Rotopax+Fuel+Packs?drsm=5bb7fb7aeba0c90c088c1f2e

I have the Rotopax for my dual sport rides. More than once I’ve broken the piece that fits into the top over the funnel. I now carry spares. Last trip I couldn’t find my spares and went without. Off course I cracked one and had to cut a circular cover out of a plastic bottle. It worked fine. I repaired the broken piece with JB Weld. I don’t trust the Rotopax enough to put in my trunk given my past issues.

[I found these quart cans of TruFuel that are ethanol free, 92 octane (minimum) & have a 5 year shelf life with included stabilizers.]

I found similar cans at wally world. I had them in the trunk since April. Haven't used them, put they definitely are peace of mind. I checked them on hot days and they never showed signs of expansion.

[I found these quart cans of TruFuel that are ethanol free, 92 octane (minimum) & have a 5 year shelf life with included stabilizers.]

I found similar cans at wally world. I had them in the trunk since April. Haven't used them, put they definitely are peace of mind. I checked them on hot days and they never showed signs of expansion.

That's some expensive fuel. And I thought the station here that sells real gas was a rip-off.:confused::confused::confused:

$23.00 a gallon is more than "a little steep". It's outrageous.

If I ever travel to an area where fuel is scarce I'll find another solution.

It not designed to fill your tank up Mike, it's for an emergency. I spend $12 for 2 & have them for 5 years, then buy 2 more. Like I said, the nice gallon container I was looking at is $26. For me, the 5 year shelf life on these is a better way to go.

I saw those at my Walmart & they were a little cheaper, but they only had 1 & they were 90 octane, which is fine for an emergency.

It not designed to fill your tank up Mike, it's for an emergency. I spend $12 for 2 & have them for 5 years, then buy 2 more. Like I said, the nice gallon container I was looking at is $26. For me, the 5 year shelf life on these is a better way to go.

I understand the emergency use only part. But if your are managing your fuel properly, like you sound like your are doing, then it really is a waste of money. But I get it. I really do. Peace of mind is worth a lot.;););)

Very few places in the lower 48 where fuel cannot be found in a 50 mile radius.One would think that smart phones make running out of fuel a thing of the past-surprise.Its a $400.00 service charge if I run out of fuel, plus termination.Supposed to be a professional. Got my mailorder trucker diploma to prove it .Now Im studying to be a brain surgeon.Just cant find a donor head to practise on.

Very few places in the lower 48 where fuel cannot be found in a 50 mile radius.One would think that smart phones make running out of fuel a thing of the past-surprise.Its a $400.00 service charge if I run out of fuel, plus termination.Supposed to be a professional. Got my mailorder trucker diploma to prove it .Now Im studying to be a brain surgeon.Just cant find a donor head to practise on.

It's my trike rides from California to Hawaii that I have the most trouble with fuel.:)

If the brain surgeon thing doesn't work out, you can always be a double knot spy.

Very few places in the lower 48 where fuel cannot be found in a 50 mile radius.One would think that smart phones make running out of fuel a thing of the past-surprise.

This is true; however I ride many remote areas where fuel is not that available and cell service doesn’t exist. A GPS helps locate fuel where cell service fails, but the ability to carry extra fuel is always nice and gives one peace of mind. If I tow a cargo trailer I always have 2 gallons strapped on it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png