V8 Diesel Trike... old Uhaul truck

Who told you that you cant build one.. heck id luv to have that box truck up here in NH lol

- - - Updated - - -

Yep... should be interesting. *The engine is the 7.3 L IDI. Not a power stroke and no turbo. Simple and solid. Automatic transmission. Still heavy. I plan on building the front end from scratch and it will be extra heavy duty. Here is a pic of the uuuuugly bitch!!!

BAFQsSkxHDB

Yep heavy but built right that would be kool rolling coal .lolThumbUp

7.3 IDI.

like you say simple and if ever a EMF charge ever goes off your IDI will still start. lol.. Heck i made my own waste oil fuel mix for my 98 Cummings 5.9 diesel.. the thing luved it.. I have a 02 E350 ambulance 7.3 that is my daily driver now. To cold in NH for the waste oil mix. I absolutely luv this thing. ..

Ok. I had a wonderful talk with the senior state trooper that handles assembled vehicles in my area.... yes it is legal to build a trike from my uhaul truck! I need a dismantle permit on the truck first.... my next call today was to state farm insurance. I have my other vehicles with them. They told me to pound sand on the homemade trike... ugh... so... where do I go to insure the monster!?!?

No insurance, *no trike... :(

Update...*

So... Progressive gave me a quote online! Geico didn't give me the option to select "other" for make and model. I guess I'll call Progressive to make sure they won't shut me down on a home build.

Ok. I had a wonderful talk with the senior state trooper that handles assembled vehicles in my area.... yes it is legal to build a trike from my uhaul truck! I need a dismantle permit on the truck first.... my next call today was to state farm insurance. I have my other vehicles with them. They told me to pound sand on the homemade trike... ugh... so... where do I go to insure the monster!?!?

No insurance, *no trike... :(

Update...*

So... Progressive gave me a quote online! Geico didn't give me the option to select "other" for make and model. I guess I'll call Progressive to make sure they won't shut me down on a home build.

You might only be able to get liability don't know

As long as I'm legal I'm fine with that. It would suck to have everything squared away but couldn't find an insurance company that would cover me and get me on the road.

With that said... that trooper I talked to was awesome! *He was cheering on my project 100% and he is the man that makes the decision on builds like this in my area. He told me to save his number in my phone and call him with any questions!

When we had problems finding insurance years ago we found Bikeline. Almost anyone will do liability, but with pictures and documentation they did full coverage. Some time ago they dropped the Bikeline moniker and went with the company name, Markel. http://www.markelmotorcycleinsurance.com/

You will probably have to talk to an acutal person with a homebuilt.

Awesome! Thank you. I started the quote process online and when I clicked "custom" for model it went to a "you need to call us" screen! I'll give them a call tomorrow. *Thanks again.

Well... looks like I'm not building a trike. Small hole in the air cleaner caused the engine block to fill with rain water. Good chance it's ruined.*

Sorry to hear that was looking forward to reading about the build.

I'm going to pull the air intake off tomorrow and see how bad it is. *I drained the water and oIL today and flushed the engine through the air I take with 3 gallons of diesel. *The water got in within the last few weeks. Its possible it can be saved. Not sure.

Good news! A very good friend of mine has a Detroit Diesel 3-53 Turbo for sale!!! My dream engine for a trike!!!! He needs to bring it into his shop to double check it but it was in excellent running condition with new injectors and few other things before he put it in storage. I pray he comes back with a price in my range.

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. Been busy! This is my ultra heavy duty leading link!!!2016-02-16 17.10.07.jpg

2016-02-16 17.11.05.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

2016-02-16 17.10.39.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

2016-02-16 17.14.07.jpg

technik-aufmacher-04table100.jpg

It's going to be a lot like this front end. Just a lot bigger! The hub and wheel are from the front end of an F350 Ford truck. I'm also using the 10.25 dually rear axle. My engine and transmission will weigh in around 1,200 pounds. I'm overkillin everything!

- - - Updated - - -

2016-02-13 19.44.39.jpg

View attachment 33554

It's going to be a lot like this front end. Just a lot bigger! The hub and wheel are from the front end of an F350 Ford truck. I'm also using the 10.25 dually rear axle. My engine and transmission will weigh in around 1,200 pounds. I'm overkillin everything!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 33556

Heck my v6 ride weighs in at 1700 with me.. I think the weight may surprise you a littleThumbUp. That is a monster and i like it:clapping:

Yep. I went heavy on the swing arm due to the torque it will see since it's only supported on one side. The swing arm is made of 2x3 rectangular box tubing with a 1/4 wall thickness. I stacked two lengths of tubing and seal welded them together with two passes of 7024 jet rod. The pic shows a cross section of the tubing I used for the swing arm.2016-02-17 19.28.41.jpg2016-02-17 19.28.07.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png