"Never" pull a Trailer

Reaction score
That is the label, on the top of my Air Scoop. Never pull a trailer. Whay is that? Iv'e never seen such a label on a two wheel ?

Harley does not endorse pulling trailers nor displaying flags

Kind of silly IMO considering they sell flags and mounts. As for pulling trailers I dunno their logic if any. I would bet it is a liability issue. Seems to me some motorcycle tyre manufacturers do not recommend this either, Dunlop is not 1 of them, they are the major contract holder of tyres to Harley. Go figure

Tire manufacturers don't recommend pulling trailers? Holy cow the rears are nothing more than glorified car tires. Do they also recommend not pulling a trailer with a car/light truck?

Trail Rider

HD as well as Honda and others claim pulling a trailer puts to much stress on the bikes drive train! I have seen many posts on many forums, over the years about this.

I read posts where people have taken their bikes to dealers only to have drive train warranty canceled because the bike has a trailer hitch on it!!!

Others posted having the dreaded Wing tranny failure warranty denied because a heel/toe shifter was installed. That makes no sense as many bikes come stock w/heel/toe shifters!

Also, unless your dealer installed a trike conversion and will cover drive train warranty for you, most likely drive train warranty will be denied if you have a trike conversion. One good reason for buying a factory trike rather than converting a bike!

HD as well as Honda and others claim pulling a trailer puts to much stress on the bikes drive train! I have seen many posts on many forums, over the years about this.

I read posts where people have taken their bikes to dealers only to have drive train warranty canceled because the bike has a trailer hitch on it!!!

Others posted having the dreaded Wing tranny failure warranty denied because a heel/toe shifter was installed. That makes no sense as many bikes come stock w/heel/toe shifters!

Also, unless your dealer installed a trike conversion and will cover drive train warranty for you, most likely drive train warranty will be denied if you have a trike conversion. One good reason for buying a factory trike rather than converting a bike!

I tell the Sweetie to pack light. Wear the clothes until they fall of and go buy something else. If you buy something ship it home. Jim

HD as well as Honda and others claim pulling a trailer puts to much stress on the bikes drive train! I have seen many posts on many forums, over the years about this.I read posts where people have taken their bikes to dealers only to have drive train warranty canceled because the bike has a trailer hitch on it!!! Others posted having the dreaded Wing tranny failure warranty denied because a heel/toe shifter was installed. That makes no sense as many bikes come stock w/heel/toe shifters!

Also a good reason buy a used trike from a reputable & trusted dealer or private party.

Most of the issues have been addressed, a lot of the extras you would put on anyway

are already installed and included in the price, and someone else has paid the depreciation.

The warranty issue only holds true if you are converting a new or near-new motorcycle.

Not pull a trailer.....How would I haul the 12 pair of shoes my better half takes on a trip. :laugh: Warranty considerations must vary by dealer. Mine even assisted with removing some torx screws so I could mount a hitch. Of course, I am out of the original warranty but still have an extended one. ThumbUp

My trike, I'll do what I want. Take it all off before service....take your chances...

Casper, I totally agree with your statement. Lets all stop doing what we love doing like camping, driving across county, etc, because some insurance company or dealership doesn't recommend it. Been running trailers for years and no issues. Best advice, use common sense when packing your trailer and then go have fun.

Casper, I totally agree with your statement. Lets all stop doing what we love doing like camping, driving across county, etc, because some insurance company or dealership doesn't recommend it. Been running trailers for years and no issues. Best advice, use common sense when packing your trailer and then go have fun.

Yep, we've pulled a trailer since 98. I feel it's safer than over loading the bike/trike....especially two wheels. We have a Bushtec now and love it.

I'm with you Casper,I have a 17 trike an I bought a small trailer this year weights 140 lbs.Pulls great,the hitch comes off in about ten minutes,plug and play wiring so if i need warranty work I will remove it.

Why you wasting your life reading that crap? Last time I read a warning on a bike it was under the "lid" (seat) of a 500 cc scooter. It said, "Do not put pets or children in under seat storage."

Why you wasting your life reading that crap? Last time I read a warning on a bike it was under the "lid" (seat) of a 500 cc scooter. It said, "Do not put pets or children in under seat storage."

I agree with y'all. Question I still have is "why is H-D so adamantly against trailers when so many people use them without any problems?".

I agree with y'all. Question I still have is "why is H-D so adamantly against trailers when so many people use them without any problems?".

There are a couple of significant reasons I can think of:

It does present additional risks, so no doubt lawyers are involved in limiting HD liability

It limits how much they have to pay out in warranty claims (whether the claim is because of the additional stress on the bike/trike from pulling a trailer, being able to deny the claim if a trailer was pulled is a savings/additional profit to them)

Kevin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png