• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Oh GEEZ! ANOTHER question? When will it end?

Reaction score
Ok guys....now I have a real problem. I could use some advice. Seriously.

....no, shooting her won't solve the problem.....

Ok, I'm supposed to pick up a 1977 Honda GL1000 Goldwing at the end of the month for $200. I've posted pics of it. It's a real basket case. I'm going to have to do a complete strip on it, and pray the frame is still solid, then build it up from there.

Today while in town I was talking about it to a buddy of mine, when he introduced me to a friend of his. His buddy has a 1984 Pontiac Fiero that needs some work (clutch, neutral switch, alternator), but other than that it's in fully operational condition with low miles on it. He offered it to me for $200 as well, on one condition: he gets 50% of any profits from parting out and selling the pieces I don't need.

When I first looked at building a trike, I had originally decided I was going to go with a VW powered trike, but couldn't find a VW that was reasonably priced anywhere near me, so I switched over to the idea of using a motorcycle as my donor vehicle, and found the Goldwing. Now I get offered a rear/mid-engine car and could go back to my original idea....and I'm stuck. I honestly don't know which way is going to be more advantageous.

Could any of you add some thoughts for me to consider? I'd really appreciate your input on this one.

Thanks
~SD

I have seen Fieros made into trikes, and it seems to depend on the builders fabrication, planning and design skills. I have seen one that was beautifully done, with fiberglass body work seamlessly blended into the rear part of the Fiero body, well done welds and gussets, lights and paint. The whole thing looked factory made. On the other hand, I have seen one I didn't want to be within 20 feet of it when it was running.

Other things to consider is how your state views home built trikes, or modified cars. Some states would consider a trike from a Fiero a modified car, in some it may be a home built trike or a special construction vehicle. Insurance, registration and licensing may be impacted by what your state decides what kind of vehicle you end up with and how much of the original car is still used on the trike.

I have seen Fieros made into trikes, and it seems to depend on the builders fabrication, planning and design skills. I have seen one that was beautifully done, with fiberglass body work seamlessly blended into the rear part of the Fiero body, well done welds and gussets, lights and paint. The whole thing looked factory made. On the other hand, I have seen one I didn't want to be within 20 feet of it when it was running.

Yeah, I was looking at those last night. I know how I WANT it to look...which is going to take planning and skill.

Ozarkryder said:
Other things to consider is how your state views home built trikes, or modified cars. Some states would consider a trike from a Fiero a modified car, in some it may be a home built trike or a special construction vehicle. Insurance, registration and licensing may be impacted by what your state decides what kind of vehicle you end up with and how much of the original car is still used on the trike.
By Michigan law, I'm going to have to get an ASPT (ASsembled from ParTs) title, and it'll get it's own VIN. It would be the same if I used the GL1000, as by MI law, anything with 2 or 3 wheels is considered a motorcycle and falls under those regulations.

I know what I don't want...I don't want it to look like; I don't want what looks like the back half of a fiero tacked onto a motorcycle frame. As a matter of fact, I only want the power plant, drive train and axle from the fiero...if that's the route I go.

As the Lovin Spoonful said back in the day:

"Sometimes there's one with deep blue eyes, cute as a bunny
With hair down to here, and plenty of money
And just when you think she's that one in the world
Your heart gets stolen by some mousy little girl
And then you know you better make up your mind
Pick up on one and leave the other one behind
It's not often easy, and not often kind
Did you ever have to make up your mind?" :D

I seen a Fiero Trike a few weeks ago that was really nice.
Whoever put it together did a real good job.
I have always wanted to build one but with the condition of my knee my next trike has to be a Automatic (no clutch)

I seen a Fiero Trike a few weeks ago that was really nice.
Whoever put it together did a real good job.
I have always wanted to build one but with the condition of my knee my next trike has to be a Automatic (no clutch)

Yeah, I know how that goes. That, and the Dragon, I mean the wife, can't drive a manual either. She's asked me to swap out transmissions and put an automatic in.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png