Miles Between Oil Changes

Changing oil is so easy and simple (talking Goldwing here) if you do it yourself, I usually replace every 3,000ish miles (if yea have your dealer do it for you, then that's another story, very expensive then..Always replace BOTH filter & oil at the same time...

A couple of years ago, I had cut open a oil filter on one of my service trucks, I was just curious to see what it looked like after 5,000 mile...Well there was so much gunk in there that it would be hard to flow , all plugged up! That turned me into a true believer to replace oil/filter at the same time, and at a 3,000ish interval...

I purchase oil and filter(s) when I happen to see it on sale, I have approx. 8 to10 filters left (for my wing) unopened in my garage along with a case of mobile one synth, oil just ready to be used.....

PS: I just changed my plugs along with oil/filter last week on my bike getting her ready for this spring rides..(if it will ever get here:mad::mad:)

Ronnie

You bring up a really good point. If I was still using paper filters, I would probably still be changing oil and filter every 2500-3000 miles.

I've been using the Stainless Steel cleanable filter so long, I forgot about that...I just clean them out every time I change the oil...in fact, sometimes I'll skip cleaning the filter til the 2nd oil change. They flow that much better!

Kevin

Syn = 5K~6K

Dino = No more then 3K

Filter each time.

Amsoil 20-50 (preferably) but will use any brand name oil that's on sale = engine

Amsoil 75-140 Gear oil = trans

HD Formula+ = primary

If the engine oil is clear at time of change = it's NOT working.

I am new to Harleys and am going to do my own oil changes because
I got a quote of $300 for a 3 hole change. I watched a few youtube videos and it looks pretty simple to do. The manual calls for 20-50 in the trans. What is the benefit of Amsoil 75-140? Does the thicker oil affect power at all?​

I got a quote of $300 for a 3 hole change. I watched a few youtube videos and it looks pretty simple to do. The manual calls for 20-50 in the trans. What is the benefit of Amsoil 75-140? Does the thicker oil affect power at all?​

I’m old school, as gears need gear oil. Redline shock proof is what dealers are using. What ever you choose, use synthetic as it has a longer run life.

I can't feel and power issue....but I can say My trike loves the 75-140. Smooths a lot of those clunk shifts and all thru the RPM curve shifts...IMO only

There are SO many good answers here, IMO gear lube in the tranny is your best bet

It can cushion the gears better and stay put at higher temps than oil

It is your ride YOU decide what is right

I have ALWAYS run gear oil in ALL my bikes, and never had any tranny issues;)

Reactions: MDO
I’m old school, as gears need gear oil. Redline shock proof is what dealers are using. What ever you choose, use synthetic as it has a longer run life.

What dealers are using Redline instead of Syn 3? All the dealers in my area( 7 - owned by the same people) use H-D Syn3. :confused:

Although, I do remember my dealer using Bel-Ray gear oil back in 03 when I had a 6 speed put in my 03 Ultra.

What dealers are using Redline instead of Syn 3? All the dealers in my area( 7 - owned by the same people) use H-D Syn3. :confused:

Although, I do remember my dealer using Bel-Ray gear oil back in 03 when I had a 6 speed put in my 03 Ultra.

My dealer uses HD Formula + Trans oil Syn.....

I cannot believe a single product can do the best job of protecting three different functions. For the miniscule cost difference, I will use the best product for each application knowing I'm getting the BEST protection possible.

You have to be out of your mind to pay $300 for a 3 hole fluid change.

With all the complexities of a new motorcycle, changing the oil is one of the last simple things an owner can do themselves - if they have the right tools, time and place to do so. Good luck

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png