Sidecars,Bike and tires

Smitty901

400+ Posts
Reaction score
This discussion has to take place here. Other Motorcycles sights don't know squat about sidecars. The Darkside post do not understand Sidecar rigs do not steer or handle anything like a Motorcycle. I ride my stuff. 20 to 50,000 miles a year. Tres wear faster on sidecar rigs.

Our newest sidecar is a breast. meaning big , it handles great does all it should right. A 2017 Harley Road Glide Ultra with Hannigan Twin Classic attached. The sidecar come from Hannigan with a car tire on it. It works fine .

The RGU rear factory tire is a 180/65B16 I run Dunlop Elites and on a two wheel bike they wear great and are outstanding. With the sidecar they do fine but you know they will wear right down the center faster . Three car tires are close to the factory size.

205/55R16 is .3 shorter and 1 inch wider Will fit depending on who you ask ?

195/55R16 is .8 shorter and .6 wider will fit according to anyone you ask.

195/60R16 Same height and .6 wider should fit .

The 195/60R16 seems prefect for the rear of the bike. Not all tire manufactures make every size tire. currently I am looking at a SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical. this is the only 195/60 R16 Dunlop offers. I would consider a run flat type tire, and am open to other brands.

If anyone has something to offer I am listening. Plenty of time new tire on the bike now and winter is on the way.

I like this new one. So much that it may stay on the bike all of the time, I have others with 2 wheels to ride.

There are two other forums with a lot of sidecar content and a lot of car tire/wheel discussions. Try the hacks section of ADVrider or the sidecar.com forum. ADVrider is kind of BMW and Ural focused but there is a lot of good technical discussion of tires and wheels. Bead shape differences between car and motorcycle wheels cause some issues but with the wider wheels on newer Harleys you may be able to find something that works better and wears longer for you.

I have never had to pay anything to be on either of those sites. Sidecar.com is connected to the United Side Car Association but you don't have to be a member to use the forum.

I have never had to pay anything to be on either of those sites. Sidecar.com is connected to the United Side Car Association but you don't have to be a member to use the forum.

Got back in to the sight seems they must have been going trough some changes. Thanks

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png