Stage 5 Tire Shredder on Freewheeler

Just completed stage 5 on my 2015 Freewheeler. Went from 76 horsepower to 118 horsepower with 130 lbs of torque. A real nasty machine now. Pull the front wheels off the ground, guess I will have to mount some wheel extensions on back to keep it from going backwards and over. Put Vance/Hines headers with M/F extensions. Its got a real bad case of heart burn the way it sounds.

Since most of us probably don't know what Stage 5 entails, I know I don't, maybe you could give us a run-down on what was done to it to produce those numbers.

Stage 5

Since most of us probably don't know what Stage 5 entails, I know I don't, maybe you could give us a run-down on what was done to it to produce those numbers.

4.0" cylinders, SE CNC-Ported Cylinder Heads, matching 10.2:1 forged high compression pistons and rings, SE-259 cams, perfect-fit pushrods, high-capacity roller tappets, cam cover gaskets, heavy duty clutch spring, high flow fuel injectors

Screamin' Eagle® Super Tuner

58mm air cleaner and Cam Drive Retention

Just a few items to name.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, can you include an estimate of the cost?

Not cheap, but impressive after its done.

Never heard of a Stage 5 still haven't, what you call a stage 5 is a motor built out to drag and will be very unreliable for everyday use. Nice if you got the money and don't mind the expense it will bring.:AGGHH:

4.0" cylinders, SE CNC-Ported Cylinder Heads, matching 10.2:1 forged high compression pistons and rings, SE-259 cams, perfect-fit pushrods, high-capacity roller tappets, cam cover gaskets, heavy duty clutch spring, high flow fuel injectors

Screamin' Eagle® Super Tuner

58mm air cleaner and Cam Drive Retention

Just a few items to name.

- - - Updated - - -

Not cheap, but impressive after its done.

Not knockin' what you did, but you should've just put a big S&S motor on it with a new tranny. Same desired effect without 'taking down' your engine, just replacing it with one that was built that way.

Of course unless you're the mechanic that did all the work yourself.

Never heard of a Stage 5 still haven't, what you call a stage 5 is a motor built out to drag and will be very unreliable for everyday use. Nice if you got the money and don't mind the expense it will bring.:AGGHH:

The cams and compression are not that radical and would be fine on a street engine. It also sounds like it has a 58mm throttle body, which will work fine on a street application. Sounds more like a healthy Stage II or IV, like Sloride's Road Glide trike.

Steve, can you post a dyno sheet on your engine?

Thank you for this post, trikeharley. I've been contemplating this upgrade the last few days. Yes, it's pricey, but I think the net gains may well be worth it. I'm not necessarily looking to win races, but the extra power for passing on the interstate would be nice. The torque would be the real benefit for me, as I and my wife together are not light weight on our FW. The extra grunt would be greatly appreciated, especially when taking off. My only concern is my warranty. As this is an HD product, and if done by HD technicians, I imagine it would not void the warranty, however...one never knows.

I digress found what they are selling as a stage 5 http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/screamin-eagle-110ci-stage-v-tire-shredder-kit
for the money I agree would of been better to just put in an S&S..

Your post got me to digging, alien (a dangerous thing when my wallet is involved :laugh:) I checked the S&S website and found the lowest cost engine was over $6000 plus a few extras that would need ordered. The Stage V looks to be around $2700 plus a few extras, it seems. Are my numbers right? If so, the Shredder looks like a solid option. Too, I assume (we all know what can happen when we assume), can be done by an HD shop, and, hopefully, keep your warranty in tact, if you have warranty on the trike. If warranty is an issue, it looks to me like the Shredder is the way to go. If not, and especially if one can do the work himself/herself, the S&S looks truly sweet. Being new to this, I may be way off base, and apologize if I have spoken incorrectly.

Aaron

Your post got me to digging, alien (a dangerous thing when my wallet is involved :laugh:) I checked the S&S website and found the lowest cost engine was over $6000 plus a few extras that would need ordered. The Stage V looks to be around $2700 plus a few extras, it seems. Are my numbers right? If so, the Shredder looks like a solid option. Too, I assume (we all know what can happen when we assume), can be done by an HD shop, and, hopefully, keep your warranty in tact, if you have warranty on the trike. If warranty is an issue, it looks to me like the Shredder is the way to go. If not, and especially if one can do the work himself/herself, the S&S looks truly sweet. Being new to this, I may be way off base, and apologize if I have spoken incorrectly.

Aaron

You have a valid point with the labor and extras involved price would be higher.Still below an S&S. Good point on the warranty since you have a dealer wrench doing the work and not the factory. It just seemed false their calling it bolt-on, on the site since the hole top end is replaced. Not what i would call bolt-on. IMO;)

You have a valid point with the labor and extras involved price would be higher.Still below an S&S. Good point on the warranty since you have a dealer wrench doing the work and not the factory. It just seemed false their calling it bolt-on, on the site since the hole top end is replaced. Not what i would call bolt-on. IMO;)

I'd prefer the S&S, alien, there's no doubt about that. Unfortunately, I have no doubt my warranty would be flushed, and I would need someone to do the install and tune; I can barely change a light bulb. I called my local shop and asked about the 110 upgrade and my warranty, and was told they needed to check with HD to verify if my warranty either stays intact or is modified in some way. I agree wholeheartedly that the advertising is practically an outright lie. I am not a mechanic, but even I know this is nowhere near a simple bolt-on kit. Technical knowledge and specialized tools are needed for a job like this, and I suspect there have been a few poor novices that mistakenly assumed it would be a simple undertaking.

If you don't need to remove the engine and machine the cases, it's a bolt-on installation. Some jobs are just more involved.

stage 5

Your purchase a Stage 5 from Harley Davidson. Perhaps a visit to the dealer will help you.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd prefer the S&S, alien, there's no doubt about that. Unfortunately, I have no doubt my warranty would be flushed, and I would need someone to do the install and tune; I can barely change a light bulb. I called my local shop and asked about the 110 upgrade and my warranty, and was told they needed to check with HD to verify if my warranty either stays intact or is modified in some way. I agree wholeheartedly that the advertising is practically an outright lie. I am not a mechanic, but even I know this is nowhere near a simple bolt-on kit. Technical knowledge and specialized tools are needed for a job like this, and I suspect there have been a few poor novices that mistakenly assumed it would be a simple undertaking.

Stage 5 completed by your dealer will keep your warranty in tack. Anything else will void your warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

Even with extras, you are way under a S&S with about the same power.

I said I was wrong and stood corrected, as far as a stage 5 if that's what Moco calls it that's fine for them. Most people think of bolt on as something anyone pretty much can do. I don't think most could just bolt that kit in and not be in trouble. Plus the labor to Harley so you keep your warranty. Most would waited until warranty was gone to upgrade like that. But then I just finished a few months back rebuilding my old Evo myself so what do I know. It seems you have a good build there from the dealer, makes a big difference. When you first posted Stage 5 you sounded like you did it, was kind of vague in the first post my bad..

If you don't need to remove the engine and machine the cases, it's a bolt-on installation. Some jobs are just more involved.

I have so much to learn about modifying Harley's, Clint. I simply cannot fathom that installing this kit could be considered a bolt-on. I think of bolt-on as intake, exhaust, grips, etc. This kind of work, though, I'd be so in over my head I'd resemble the Three Stooges rolled into one.

Stage 5 completed by your dealer will keep your warranty in tack. Anything else will void your warranty.

Thank you much, trike. I'm waiting on a call with a quote from my local shop. I suspect with the Stage V, intake, exhaust and tuner plus labor, I'm going to be out about $5000. Pricey and I'll never get it back, but, man, the oomph and grunt capabilities are nearly too much to ignore.

Thank you much, trike. I'm waiting on a call with a quote from my local shop. I suspect with the Stage V, intake, exhaust and tuner plus labor, I'm going to be out about $5000. Pricey and I'll never get it back, but, man, the oomph and grunt capabilities are nearly too much to ignore.

No ones more die hard Harley than me, so says my pard.

but if ya want grunt i h ave a 425hp trike, that Ive never rode. My pard has tho. Selling it, and i have a 99 twin cam e glide trike, a 69 shovel trike, all low on power compared to my v8 trike or urs.

I understand the desire, i truly do, seems Harley could offer a trike like that already with engine in place and jus pick Ur pocket some more and go on.

But alas a tech has to make a living, so there goes that idea. I would love a test ride tho, mmm, might motivate me to invest in the insanity. :AGGHH:trike chev front right.jpg

Attachments

• trike chev front left at neck.jpg
    trike chev front left at neck.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 158
  • trike chev upper upl shot.jpg
    trike chev upper upl shot.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 158
  • trike chev rear shot.jpg
    trike chev rear shot.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 159

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png