Headlight Modulator

87Trike1200

TOI - New Jersey
Feb 23, 2008
The Jersey Shore
Installing a headlight modulator was something I was always going to do "next week". After reading about yet another (NJ) biker (age 58) in critical condition and his Wing all but broken to two, I just installed the modulator. It's a "Signal Dynamics" and works great. Automatically comes on at start-up, if for some reason you want to disable it, just click the hi-lo beam switch both ways within 1 sec and it returns to a "normal" headlight. Repeat to re-enable the flashing. It automatically goes into night mode (non-modulating) via a built in sensor. I'm not "pushing" this brand, it just happens to be the one I got.

Almost forgot, the accident referred to above was caused by a "young" driver turning left in front of the bike - sound familiar? Please consider installing a similar device - you never know, it may be that little bit of "extra help" that could make a difference.

Ride safe... :wave4:

GREAT advice,
I would be hard pressed to ride a bike without a headlight modulator!!!!! I have seen cars at a stop sign (as I approach) start to roll THEN stop again, there is no doubt in my mind it is due to the flashing headlight that catches their eyes. IMOP, headlight modulators are a must have along with flashing "Back Off" tail lights.

Use mine any time someone is turning or pulling out from the side. Works on high beam only, so just switch it and the sudden explosive lighting catches their eye.

We've had them on all our past bikes.
Got LOTS of comments about them when on the cb.
We thanked them for noticing, as that was the purpose.
Haven't purchased them for the trikes yet but plan to shortly...been busy buying other "stuff" for the trikes.

Installed 1 just a few weeks ago after 3 near misses last season. Most of the comments are that people don't like it but I don't care because them stating their opinion lets me know that they saw it!

To quote 87 Trike 1200 "Installing a headlight modulator was something I was always going to do "next week". I'm still procastinating myself. It's just when I start tearing off the front end, I want to install a couple of other things too.

I've been thinking about this for a long time also. I have the Hyper-Lites on the rear. I have then set for continuous flashing as long as the brakes are applied.

I was told you can't put a modulator on the LED headlight. One person did say that they are available but are very costly. Anyone have info on them?

So far in almost 54 years of riding I have not incountered that "left turn" situation - yet. I always slow down, keep my hand and foot covering the brakes, know where all the vehicles are around me and watch the drivers eyes and front wheels whenever I approach an intersection. Been doing it for so long it's just natural........But you never know. :Shrug:

I always drive with the high beam on during the day. That way when it burns out I still have the low beam left for another 10+ (?) years and it is more noticable then the low beam. So in effect doubling the use of the headlight.

I like the ability to turn on/off like the Signal Dynamics unit. ThumbUp

I can't remember what brand I have. Hade it on this trike for 9 years. Mine works in both hi an low beam works at 2 selectable speeds. Does not work at night. Has a 3 position switch ( fast slow and off ) weather at night on or off when I blow the horn it flashes 4 times. I love it. I did have an old lady pull over once and let me pass. And have people coming towards me pull towards the curb. I get people always telling me " do you know your headlight is flashing must be a loose bulb better get it checked. "

From my observations I like them from the few I see on the road. They really get your attention and am surprised there ain't more of them. My only hesitation on getting mine is not knowing what's involved in installing them.
I'll probably investigate it soon.

I installed one on my RSV Hannigan last May and its saved me a few time over this season Oh and I installed the rear flasher (4times flash then solid) seems to keep most of the cagers off the rear end. I don't have a bumper there. LOL

Lightnen

I installed one on my RSV Hannigan last May and its saved me a few time over this season Oh and I installed the rear flasher (4times flash then solid) seems to keep most of the cagers off the rear end. I don't have a bumper there. LOL

Lightnen

Which brake flasher did you use? I would like that to go with my Kisan high beam modulator.
A:)

I have a set of HyperLites on the back of my TriGlide and I set it to stay flashing as long as I hold the brake. I want everyone behind me to know I'm there even if I've been sitting there for 20 seconds or 2 minutes.
I had a guy in a car follow me into a mall parking lot just to ask me about my lites. He said he followed me for about 1/2 mile. Now that's getting attention. :laugh:ThumbUp

A,
That sounds like my Back Off modulator. I have the Kisan modulator running on the headlight. On my Lehman Jackal, there are multiple lights hooked into the brake light circuit. When I hit the brakes, I put on a lightshow. Mind you, I am not complaining.

Just got an answer back from Kisan. They say they do have one for an LED headlight, but didn't say it will fit my Harley LED headlight.
Guess I'll just keep waiting for a difinitive answer.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png