Well this could be a big problem

GentleBen

Aug 3, 2019
Hudson, Florida, USA
Finally got to ride my new to me 1998 Goldwing with CSC conversion for the first time yesterday. After only 30 minutes my legs were cramping up so bad I had to stop. The bike has a nice set of highway boards as seen in picture but they really don't provide that much relief. Are there any options that would put my feet down lower, sure don't have to worry about scraping pegs on a trike. This would really be a shame because I'm loving the trike experience.

Floorboards.jpg

Look into Kuryakyn's Ergo II or Ergo III mounts ... personally I like the II's ... both are very adjustable, if you add the switchblades, you can support your heal too. I have the switchblades on my Trip, but, always have these on Gold Wings.

This is the II's with switchblades:

Ergo II w:Switchback 248.39 Kuryakyn.jpg

PS, You can get them on eBAY with the switch blades for like $200-$300 depending of shipping and sales. Prices have dropped a tad since the 18 and up GW have come out.

+1 on the Kuryakyn SWITCHBLADE pegs. I have these on my Gold Wing.

Just be sure you get the set to fit the 1998 Gold Wing. If not sure you could call Kuryakyn customer service.

You don’t have to constantly work those leg muscles to keep your foot from sliding off!

Other than the pegs.... evidently the ride home was a good experience?

gallery-14.jpg
Running boards from Motor Trike

+1 on the Kuryakyn SWITCHBLADE pegs. I have these on my Gold Wing.

You don’t have to constantly work those leg muscles to keep your foot from sliding off!

Other than the pegs.... evidently the ride home was a good experience?

I actually picked it up with a trailer, didn't want my first ride on a trike to be 90 miles in traffic. I might have been freaking out over nothing, I just got back from my second ride and everything was much better. I was probably just tense on my first ride.

I actually picked it up with a trailer, didn't want my first ride on a trike to be 90 miles in traffic. I might have been freaking out over nothing, I just got back from my second ride and everything was much better. I was probably just tense on my first ride.

Glad to hear that white knuckle grip is relaxing some already! Before you know it this will be old hat!

I had same issue with stock foot pegs on our '97 GL1500 trike after a few years, so I bought Add-On Floorboards #88597 … known as "Lowboys", they do sit your feet lower. I made some mods to eliminate the heal & toe shifter though. I made a longer toe shift that's adjustable for my boot choice, and I added a heel rest to use with the toe shift. Now, I can ride with heels elevated, or feet flat on floor boards, or feet on highway boards.

I used the brake pedal toe pad for a left side heel rest, then welded the OEM brake toe pad to brake pedal.

Under the two heel rests is a socket headed countersunk bolt, that's about the level of OEM pegs.

Attachments

• DSCI0003 (800x536) detailed.jpg
    DSCI0003 (800x536) detailed.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCI0027 (800x551).jpg
    DSCI0027 (800x551).jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCI0026 (800x600).jpg
    DSCI0026 (800x600).jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 244
That's what I was going to suggest...tension cramps. I used to get cramps on my Shadow, and my two wheel Wing, mainly when riding two up. I think I was just so tense with a passenger.

I put foot rests on the trike, and haven't even used them yet.

I have the ERGO III highway pegs. They can be mounted as FIXED position or DROPPED position. In other words they can be installed to hold their position in the UP location or they can be installed to drop down about 3-4 inches when you put your feet on them. They will move back up when you remove your feet.

On a trike of course there is no concern about cornering clearance but the ERGO III on a two wheeler will lower your feet position and will have the ability to move upward as they make contact in corners.

I have the ERGO III highway pegs. They can be mounted as FIXED position or DROPPED position. In other words they can be installed to hold their position in the UP location or they can be installed to drop down about 3-4 inches when you put your feet on them. They will move back up when you remove your feet.

On a trike of course there is no concern about cornering clearance but the ERGO III on a two wheeler will lower your feet position and will have the ability to move upward as they make contact in corners.

I can only seem to find them for the 1800, don't know why they don't list for 1500 or why they wouldn't fit.

My first trike ride was 1100 miles in traffic...Alabama to New York! For the first 100 miles or so I thought, "what have I done?...am I going to regret this?" After some time I got more used to it and by the time I got home everything was fine. I think most new trike riders go through this.

The initial trike experience is what we anticipated it to be for both my husband and myself.

I drove my husband’s trike home from the seller 130 miles .. my first trike experience .. and loved it! Immediately started a search for my own. Found it 4 months later and still have her. Still love the freedom it offers.

I will say that we had joined TrikeTalk prior to buying his trike and had picked up on some tips as to what to expect and how to handle it. Neither of us had any problems making the transition from 2 to 3 wheels. We both came from being drivers of a long line of 2-wheelers.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png