How often do you clean yours?

hbrogan57

Reaction score
As I was cleaning this morning before our weather here gets crappy again. The thought occurred to me that, maybe, I am a little overly obsessive about my cleaning. I usually give a quick wipe-down after each ride. Mainly to make sure that there are no leaks. Then, during heavy riding, I try to give it a really GOOD cleaning at least once a week. What about everyone else? And what products are you using?.....

DSC_0133_zpsb74be5c6.jpg

DSC_0130_zps15288c1b.jpg

DSC_0128_zps31e4f146.jpg
[/LEFT]​

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live in Minnesota you get a vacation from cleaning your bike, as it is in storage about 6 mo of the year. pepper

I can relate as I used to live in Nebraska. Winter is usually for upgrades, overhauls and additions!!!!!

If you live in Minnesota you get a vacation from cleaning your bike, as it is in storage about 6 mo of the year. pepper

As I was cleaning this morning before our weather here gets crappy again. The thought occurred to me that, maybe, I am a little overly obsessive about my cleaning. I usually give a quick wipe-down after each ride. Mainly to make sure that there are no leaks. Then, during heavy riding, I try to give it a really GOOD cleaning at least once a week. What about everyone else? And what products are you using?.....

I rarely clean my Tri-Glide, Buy when i do I'll use Honda Spray cleaner or H/D spray cleaner. I do clean the rear wheels often though , Can't stand to look at the black brake dust, For that i found just recently' might have seen/found it on this forum?

Bar Keepers Friend, I allso use it on my truck/car wheels and it does the job. works great on chrome also.ThumbUp

This will sound crazy to a lot of folks, but I have been using Pledge furniture polish after I clean my bikes. It has the same chemical qualities as many of the products advertised for bikes, and it sure costs a lot less. It protects just as well and the bugs sure do slide off the bike easier. I use it on just about every part of the vehicle, even the windshield, which I normally use only Bed Bath and Beyond's Perfect Glass. It is a great cleaner and does NOT damage or hazy any motorcycle windshield I have ever owned.

I have a spray bottle of water with a little vinegar and spritzer off the bugs after most every ride. Typically I will do a thorough cleaning once a year or so.

I will not ride a dirty or dusty bike or trike. Everytime I go out-I wipe it down so it is presentable (clean winshield, and no spots or bugs etc.). This being stated, I am not OCD about it, and clean it with a q-tip and a toothbrush, that happens a few times a year!

One of my friends is rediculous about cleaning his bike, you could eat off the motor on his. He is that way about everything, has a perfect yard and a spotless house. He drives me nuts!!

I am not a nut about cleaning... I will wash the trike at a car wash whenever it gets nasty enough... usually after going exploring on dusty dirt roads. We get a lot of butterflies (or moths or whatever) in season and they are a losing battle... I like to ride more than clean but try and keep the trike presentable.

I usually give it a wipedown before a ride with one of those California Dusters to get rid of the dust. If it is bad enough after a ride I'll hit it with that Original Cleaner in the black and purple spray can.(used to be the Honda cleaner) Gloria cleans houses, and gets ionized water from one of them. Works fantastic on buggy windshields. Spray, let it sit a bit and the bugs come right off. The trike might get a deep cleaning 2 or 3 times a year if there is a bike show or a week of rain and I have to get the motorcycle fix somehow.

Years ago a greybeard told me, "A bike can be really clean or really ridden. Not both at the same time."

Years ago a greybeard told me, "A bike can be really clean or really ridden. Not both at the same time."

I'm learning that lesson also. Between work & nasty weather, I'd rather ride than clean. :D

Like FRR, I have been using lemon Pledge for quick cleanups. Works well on our love bugs down here, leaves a clear shield. I've found it works good on the trike's fiberglass also.

When the teenage grandkids need money, is when the engine and accessory chrome gets polished. ThumbUp

As your already aware.............. me almost never.
I do once a week whipe it down with some natural cleaner in a spray bottle with soft cotton cloths. 100% cotton baby diapers being actually what I use.
Washing and waxing is too taxing on me and time consumming.

I would have to disagree a bit. I keep mine clean so that any leaks that can lead to possible problems, are easier to spot.

Yep brogan, I've used that excuse a few times myself.
smiley-face-laughing.gif

Truth is though, I just happen to like a clean shiny trike!

That doesn't keep me from riding either. I'm an early riser and when I'm on the road, give me my TurtleWax Ice, 10 minutes and a good cup of coffee and I'm ready to roll, lookin' like it came off the showroom floor.

I take "Pride in my Ride" even if it's old. I clean the windshield and wipe down the trike with Meguiars carnuba spray wax every time before I go out. I may be old, but I still love to see people do a double take when I ride by. I'll polish the aluminum once a month. Besides, people will only notice the shiny stuff and not the bad parts on the trike then. lol Just me.

I get tons of compliments on the trike wherever I go. Whether that be going to the grocery store or the gas station. Seems people are always interested. I have even had a few folks wanting to take photos. Which is fine with me. And I really don't want them to see a filthy bike. Black shows dust and dirt a LOT faster than some other colors. So a quick wipe is sometimes needed while the motor is warming up.

Yep brogan, I've used that excuse a few times myself.
smiley-face-laughing.gif

Truth is though, I just happen to like a clean shiny trike!

That doesn't keep me from riding either. I'm an early riser and when I'm on the road, give me my TurtleWax Ice, 10 minutes and a good cup of coffee and I'm ready to roll, lookin' like it came off the showroom floor.

I like to keep my clean got one of them blowers to help blow it off after washing cut the time of wiping way down ( hate bugs on my trike) be safe

What sort of blower do you use? If I wash mine to the point of soaking wet, I usually use that as an excuse to make a trip to the bike shop and back. Blowing most of the water off.......

I like to keep my clean got one of them blowers to help blow it off after washing cut the time of wiping way down ( hate bugs on my trike) be safe

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png