Tri Glide trunk lock

PosseRider

3750+ Posts
Jan 29, 2016
Dayton, Ohio
Been reading a lot about locks breaking on trunk. IS this mostly on the older trikes ? Seems to be alot of 2011's. Hopefully this has been corrected on the 16's ?? SO, any newer Tri Glides having problems. Most of my riding is across the US & dont need to have this if there is something preventive, I can do. Also, being new to trikes, has anyone had the trunk door come open going down the road. Thanks in advance.

Yup, my 14 door came open once. I quickly learned it takes a bit of a "slam" to shut it and then a tug on the handle to make sure it's shut.<br />
At times the push button is a bit sticky, but no big deal.

Been reading a lot about locks breaking on trunk. IS this mostly on the older trikes ? Seems to be alot of 2011's. Hopefully this has been corrected on the 16's ?? SO, any newer Tri Glides having problems. Most of my riding is across the US & dont need to have this if there is something preventive, I can do. Also, being new to trikes, has anyone had the trunk door come open going down the road. Thanks in advance.

My 11 Tri's trunk when it was new would pop open '' After the second time i very carefully adjusted the latch pin [spade] and it hasn't opened since then... Once last summer for the first time i locked the trunk' and it took a heck of a time to unlock it... That was the first time i ever locked it and the last... Probably dirt got in it...:Shrug:

The Tri's trunk latch is a rather poor design IMO. It takes either two hands (one on the button and one on the door) or a hand and a knee to get the door to shut completely, and even then you have to tug on it to make sure it is actually closed.

On one e of my very first rides after I got the Trike I had pulled up to a light and was beaming from ear to ear as a proud new owner. A Cop on a motorcycle pulled up next to me, I looked over and gave him a nod, thinking...We Bad! He looked over and towards the back of my bike and said...."Your trunk is open" and then rode off. Way to burst a new want-to-be bad ass biker bubble :laugh:

The Tri's trunk latch is a rather poor design IMO. It takes either two hands (one on the button and one on the door) or a hand and a knee to get the door to shut completely, and even then you have to tug on it to make sure it is actually closed.

On one e of my very first rides after I got the Trike I had pulled up to a light and was beaming from ear to ear as a proud new owner. A Cop on a motorcycle pulled up next to me, I looked over and gave him a nod, thinking...We Bad! He looked over and towards the back of my bike and said...."Your trunk is open" and then rode off. Way to burst a new want-to-be bad ass biker bubble :laugh:

Good thing he didn't notice the empty 6 pack of Bud's bouncing around in the trunk.......:laugh:

I always lock the trunk on my 16 so i havent had it open yet,the only issue and it mat be petty is the cables,if not careful the one one the left will turn out and get stuck in the door and when opening they some times get hung up on the hinges and wont let the trunk open all the way.

On my 2011 I had the lock fail once. It actually came apart and I did manage to put it back together but took it in the next day to the dealership. The service manager did say they had a couple latches break and they put a new one on. He also said to put a squirt of WD-40 in it every month and first thing after you take it out of storage in the spring. I always pull on the handle after I close it to make sure it latches and I always lock it. On my new 16 I haven't had any problems with it and I still pull on the handle and lock it to make sure it's closed. I do have the problem of the cable catching on the right side hinge when opening and one time it did interfere with it closing but only the one time. I never had that problem on my 11.

2016 Jade Green and Black TG.

I always lock the trunk on my 16 so i havent had it open yet,the only issue and it mat be petty is the cables,if not careful the one one the left will turn out and get stuck in the door and when opening they some times get hung up on the hinges and wont let the trunk open all the way.

This worked for me on my 2010. Remove the screw from one end of the cable and twist it 1/2 turn toward the inside, then replace the screw. When you close the trunk, they move toward the center of the trunk instead of outward.

mine is waiting for parts to come in the plastic latch assembly broke

Probably from "slamming" the trunk door closed!! Mine broke the plastic that holds it in and I just had a new lock installed and adjusted by the HD Technician and now all I have to do is push it shut and press with the palm of my hand and it works better than it did new (2013 TriGlide). Also during the experience we ordered a new "black plastic" housing that broke and fixed the existing OEM lock. When mine finally broke, the push button came almost out and I just took a hold of what was sticking out and it came out very easy.

Bottom line, "do not slam the door closed" as the plastic that holds the lock in will not take it. If you have to slam the door, use a small amount of WD-40 and continue to close it easy and press to latch with the palm of your hand. Works for me anyway!!!

Roger

Ours is a 15 with 7000 miles and we have never had a problem with it coming open, we always have it locked when riding, maybe we got lucky from the factory. I don't slam it but just ease it closed till I hear the click.

I can relate to that. When they rode my 2013 off the showroom floor the Trunk came open. :laugh: It also happened one time when I was riding down the road, a car pulled up next to me and told me it was open. I keep it locked now, and so far it stays that way. ThumbUp

yep, push, click and it's shut. don't slam. i had to tell the saleman this when i was looking at my trike.

Same here, when I got my 2011, I found it hard to shut, so I got into the habit of holding the button in and shutting it. Then pulling on it to make sure it was locked. Second nature now doing this. So far never had any problem with it or with locking or unlocking with the key.

I have a 2015 with 12,000 miles on it and have already had to have the lock replaced. The plastic clip that holds it in place broke and would allow the cylinder to turn when you locked or unlocked it. Almost impossible to unlock. Replaced under warranty. All good now.

Ours is a 15 with 7000 miles and we have never had a problem with it coming open, we always have it locked when riding, maybe we got lucky from the factory. I don't slam it but just ease it closed till I hear the click.

This ! Ease it shut till you hear the very audible click. Then lock it !! In fact, I lock mine before I close it. Over 15 k since I bought it in May and never had it come open.

I have fixed numerous <span class="highlight">trunk</span> latches where you no longer slam them. They close smoothly and easily and the lock works like butter. There is a multi purpose spray made by a company called motorkote. You remove the cover on the inside ( 2 screws) and just spray everything heavily and pit it back together. This stuff penitrated the metal and makes everything work friction free. You do this once and your done. WD40 just lays on the metal parts and needs to be reapplied occasionally. The motorkote only needs to be applied once.

I have fixed numerous trunk latches where you no longer slam them. They close smoothly and easily and the lock works like butter. There is a multi purpose spray made by a company called motorkote. You remove the cover on the inside ( 2 screws) and just spray everything heavily and pit it back together. This stuff penitrated the metal and makes everything work friction free. You do this once and your done. WD40 just lays on the metal parts and needs to be reapplied occasionally. The motorkote only needs to be applied once.

I see you are not too far from me. Where do you buy this stuff ??

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png