More weight on front wheel?

OldNick

May 30, 2015
Perth Western Australia
I was reading the thread on the Avon Cobra trike tyre and there were comments about trikes' having more weight on the front wheel than the bike.

Why? On my trike, I canbnbot see where there is more load on the front wheel.

Any input appreciated.

Nick

I can understand why you may think that but, there is simply more weight to a trike due to the rear frame and body. Whether sprung or unsprung. Consider this for numbers; my trike kit shipping weight was 749 lbs. even if you subtract maybe 100 lbs for the crate and pallet that's 649 round off to 650. My Victory cross countries weight is 750. So let's say I removed 250 lbs from it with pulling saddlebags, fender, swingarm, rear wheel etc. now I have new combined weight for the trike at 1150lbs. I'm just guesstimating on these numbers but it should be pretty close. So you have more weight albeit spread over three wheels and tires vs. two.

If you do it simply without engineering for balance 750 lbs.

over two wheels is 375lbs per wheel tire. 1150lbs. Of three wheels is 383.33 per wheel /tire. Not that much different but then my math is way too simplistic for this. Anyone else?

I understand there is more weight, but it seems to me that it's all centred around the back axle. I need to find Valk specs for weight distribution and see what triking mine has done.

Nick

And then do the same procedure with an unmodified bike.

Yeah and that's the problem. There would seem to be _very_ few Valks in my city. I know of only one, untriked, and IIRC have never seen one on the road....oh that's right I saw a much newer model parked at a pub (bar) the other day. For a while (if not still) Perth WA had the highest per capita Harley ownership in the world! I barely go a day on the road without seeing more than one and usually several. The boss of Harley in the US came here just to visit.

I would suspect my Roadsmith puts more weight on the front wheel because of longer wheelbase then stock bike and increased weight.

If physics memory serves me correctly, the weight ratio is per axle, not per wheel. Then the weight per wheel is important only on the rear since it divides its load by 2. The front carries the additional weight by itself.

I've actually meant to weigh mine but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png