Being held hostage by State Farm

Sep 13, 2010
Indian River, Delaware
Agent was here last Weds to update home insurance, since I built a detached garage. She took pics and made lots of notes as she went in and around the property. I told her I'm getting a trike next week, and wanted a quote on insurance.

Friday, she says to me, I see you have a bike and boat that is not insured here (my bike is with Progressive). You have to insure everything with SF. I asked for quotes for the bike and boat, and they were more than double what I'm paying now, so I said I'll keep them where they are.

She said, your umbrella policy will be going up 50% (to more than $550 for 1 mil), and that is non-negotiable. We've been with SF for more than 40 years, and I am ready to make some changes.

Any suggestions on a stand-alone umbrella from somebody else?

I am ready to make some changes
I would be too.

Can't comment on your specific situation, but I call around EVERY year when my auto comes due. For the last 20 years I've been with the same company, and nobody could beat them. This past year I called around as usual and Geico had better rates, so I switched all vehicles and my boat to them. My old company wouldn't beat them - I tried. I'm loyal to whoever has the best rates. Next year I'll call around again. Businesses are hurting now just like everyone else, and it's a buyers market. Screw State Farm.

Switch..you owe them nothing...Odds are you will find better rate...You need to shop your insurance every 3 to 5 years regardless of your service..it's a business like anything else.

I'm curious as to why you didn't just buy an umbrella policy from GEICO.

Not sure if that question was for me, but I have nothing with Geico .right now. I tried to get an online quote from them, but they do not offer online qoutes for Delaware, and only write insurance via local agents in the other 2 counties,but not in this one (Sussex County).

Agent was here last Weds to update home insurance, since I built a detached garage. She took pics and made lots of notes as she went in and around the property. I told her I'm getting a trike next week, and wanted a quote on insurance.

Friday, she says to me, I see you have a bike and boat that is not insured here (my bike is with Progressive). You have to insure everything with SF. I asked for quotes for the bike and boat, and they were more than double what I'm paying now, so I said I'll keep them where they are.

She said, your umbrella policy will be going up 50% (to more than $550 for 1 mil), and that is non-negotiable. We've been with SF for more than 40 years, and I am ready to make some changes.

I would call around and get the best quote on both senarios then call her....then if she didn't get the idea that you were on to her bs I would contact your Delaware State Insurance Comissioner and file a complaint .....actually I might file a complaint anyways ..... TAKE NO PRISONERS . :machinegun:

Will: I have sf in west pa. My trike is a 2005 roadking. With liability of 100/300/100, 500 deductible with comp and coll, and uninsured, underinsured o 100/300 each, my yearly premium is
310.97. I talked with a sf claim representative prior to insuring my bike to make sure i'd have coverage based on a trike and not a two wheeler. I was assured that i did. Hope this helps you compare pricing.

I think my first call would be to the contact information on the internet for the company. Ask them if what your agent is doing and saying is right and part of company policy. Maybe they don't know what she's doing?????

Most companies will only sell you an umbrella if you have home and vehicle with that company. Thats the only way they can really asses their risks

:mad:Lemme tel ya something about MOST Farmers agents....Crooks. My EX, and emphasis on EX, was an adjuster for them. I was a Paramedic/fireman. We were on different sides of the fence. I saw many people get shafted by them. Nope, don't like em either. I just found out, my life ins. of 18 years, was tapped out by them. The rates went up, and they never made mention of it, and so to make up the difference, (I was unknowingly not paying), they took the balance out of my cash value every month till it was gone, and THEN sent us a letter that we must now make this bigger payment. :machinegun: Needless to say, we are shopping,too.:yes: jimsjinx

Your comments, jimsjinx, are no more valid than trying to generalize any other group. Yes, there may be bad Farmers agents, just as there are bad parameds, but as a group, they are dedicated professionals.
AS for your life insurance, my guess is you have a type of policy whose equity is based on interest earnings. If you bought the policy 18 years ago, rates were significantly higher than recent years. I'm sure you received information from the company annually (it's required by law) that described how your policy was performing. Just because you didn't read it doesn't make the company at fault...

HI i have progressive on my Valkyrie Trike with a 8000 rider to cover the trike kit --i was told by several ins. agents that the trike cant be covered --allstate would not cover my trike--- so i get the replacement cost of the valkyrie + 3000 in chrome and acc.plus 8000 for the trike kit and i pay 500.00 a year in CHICAGO --years ago i had ins.on a trike and thank god nothing happened because the agent had it listed as a 2 wheeler !!

If you are over 50, check out AARP/Hartford. I saved over a GRAND by switching to them. Bikes insured through AARP/Foremost. Don't know their present policy on trikes but worth checking into.

In Texas, there is no such thing as a trike. A three wheeler is a motorcycle. So, I have adequate comprehensive insurance on the motorcycle plus $9000 additional insurance to cover the accessories (trike)

indiana resident.umbrella for house, two cars and bike.lowest rates.changed to a trike. agent said no prob.month later called and cancelled on trike.said"my underwriters dont like the placement of gas tank."went to progressive,agent walked out ,said"whats wrong with how the tank is placed?"no prob got a years coverage for 100.00.second year went to 90.00.i'm happy with it. View attachment 3350

indiana resident.umbrella for house, two cars and bike.lowest rates.changed to a trike. agent said no prob.month later called and cancelled on trike.said"my underwriters dont like the placement of gas tank."went to progressive,agent walked out ,said"whats wrong with how the tank is placed?"no prob got a years coverage for 100.00.second year went to 90.00.i'm happy with it. View attachment 3350

Rider of every 1800 Gold Wing is sitting on top of a plastic gas tank. It just happens to be hidden under all the "tupperware", re "out of sight-out of mind.:Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png