Rev counter

Reaction score
I want to fit a tacho to my trike, i bought one from Ebay but could not get it to work, there were only three wire live & ground plus a green one that i thought would go to the electronic ignition to pick up the pulses......but no.

I want a small one not a big thing stuck up front....any suggeations (apart from not fitting one :) )

here is the diagram from mine
tach.jpg

See how I have it connected on this diagram (right side of the diagram on the coil)
trike_3.jpg

Rev Counter

You might check Trail Tech. I have their speedometer. It's a small magnet unit, easy to install and mounts any where and a really good price with good service folks. My unit is the cheapest of the 4 units they make and provides the least amount of info, and it is still more than I need or use. Mine is about a year old and works very well.
Thanks for your time,

I've always kept mine simple. Red wire to the (+) side of the coil, Green wire to the (-) side of the coil. Third wire is usually either a positive for the light or a ground wire as you indicate yours is. (If third wire is a ground then light positive power is pulled internally from the Red wire). A fourth wire would be required to make the light dimmable.:xzqxz:

Generally the red wire feeds the 12v positive (+) input and the green wire will feed pulsing negative (-) input so traditional tachs would work off just those two feeds. Wires beyond thos two were for light(s) or additional functions.

I've always kept mine simple. Red wire to the (+) side of the coil, Green wire to the (-) side of the coil. Third wire is usually either a positive for the light or a ground wire as you indicate yours is. (If third wire is a ground then light positive power is pulled internally from the Red wire). A fourth wire would be required to make the light dimmable.:xzqxz:

Generally the red wire feeds the 12v positive (+) input and the green wire will feed pulsing negative (-) input so traditional tachs would work off just those two feeds. Wires beyond thos two were for light(s) or additional functions.

Bit slow with the reply as i have swapped to a Mac and havr had a bit of a learning curve lol.
I did have it wired the way you describe but it did not work. I sent it back and got a refund. I have however got the engine running as sweet as a nut, ticks over like a baby, pickup is clean and sharp. I just need to get it taxed at the end of this month ( a UK formality otherwise known as a royal rip off)

Bit slow with the reply as i have swapped to a Mac and havr had a bit of a learning curve lol. I did have it wired the way you describe but it did not work. I sent it back and got a refund. I have however got the engine running as sweet as a nut, ticks over like a baby, pickup is clean and sharp. I just need to get it taxed at the end of this month ( a UK formality otherwise known as a royal rip off)

Hey! someone has to pay for the Royal Baby's up-bringing......:laugh:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LTCBB77
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png