Hand controls?

kane100574

Reaction score
So saying I am a newbie isn't even close to the reality!

Okay guys, girls... whatever. lol...

I haven't ridden a motorcycle in 25 years. I have wanted a VW trike since I was 14, I'm 48.

I bought one. LOL... Yeah, i know... I am all 7th grade giddy inside...

SO... Buying something without thinking it through! lol...

I have bad legs... How hard would it be to get a shop to but hand controls for breaks clutch and throttle? I am getting a lot of work done on it. Paint job, etc... I haven't even gotten in my hands yet. These are all just posing questions I have. Sure, i could ask whomever I take it to, lol... But I was hoping you guys could point me into direction of quality and working!Vw trike.jpg

Thanks for any response guys.

K.

So saying I am a newbie isn't even close to the reality!

Okay guys, girls... whatever. lol...

I haven't ridden a motorcycle in 25 years. I have wanted a VW trike since I was 14, I'm 48.

I bought one. LOL... Yeah, i know... I am all 7th grade giddy inside...

SO... Buying something without thinking it through! lol...

I have bad legs... How hard would it be to get a shop to but hand controls for breaks clutch and throttle? I am getting a lot of work done on it. Paint job, etc... I haven't even gotten in my hands yet. These are all just posing questions I have. Sure, i could ask whomever I take it to, lol... But I was hoping you guys could point me into direction of quality and working!View attachment 109983

Thanks for any response guys.

K.

Tim......... Welcome To Trike-Talk.......:wave4:....

Thanks guys! Kenova is in west Virginia! lol, I said that too the first time i heard it.

You would probably need some kind of boosters to help with the brakes and clutch. Also drop down the page to the Enabled Trikers thread, you might pick up good ideas there.

Welcome:clapping:

You will need some power adders. It is really difficult to generate enough power with the grip of your hand to work automotive size systems.

Servos and/or brake boosters. Even something newer.....a lot of newer cars have a brake booster servo that is not vacuum..... electric instead.

It will take fairly heavy custom modifications/fabrication/engineering to get it all to work out.

Like said above.....find out what others have done.

Hyd controls

Tim/Rex, With the rear being VW how about Hyd. levers on the handlebars and VW clutch slave(s) for the clutch and brakes? Or is this idea too much over the top?

The VW rear brakes and the hydraulic clutch require a master with a larger displacement than the typical motorcycle master can provide.

There are a few oddball/unusually large piston size motorcycle masters out there. I have seen it done.

A very light (low clamping force) pressure plate.

And it has to be a pressure plate that does not need much stroke.,...ie a diaphragm type.

Then use the long type throw out lever like what is used on race cars with stuff clutch.

The dune buggy slave.

And then the oddball large piston motorcycle master.

Do some big hand exercises to build up some monster grip strength.

And then you can have a direct hydraulic handlebar clutch.

I have yet to see someone get a usable handlebar on the VW brakes. Sorta the same thing as the clutch set up but once you get there on displacement it then takes more force than you can put out on the lever.

Your best bet would be to remote actuate a powered master for each.

It is do-able.....it will just take more than you think it would.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png