• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

new to trike world

Hi Kenny! Welcome to TrikeTalk and the world of 3!

Thank you for your service sir!

Ride as many different bikes and kits as you can...and don't forget the Spyder RT Ltd..the 2020 unit is pretty darn nice.

Speaking from the seat of a Gold Wing... they are hard to beat for comfort, reliability, and low maintenance.

As to trike kit.... pretty much your choice...just hope you get a good installer...that is KEY to this conversion thing.

Let us know what you decide!

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

If you are looking for a "new" trike, you are pretty much limited to the Tri Glide, Freewheeler or the Can Am's. Sure you could buy a new Gold Wing, have it triked and it would be "new" but depending on where you are and how local dealers view them, you could have "issues" with getting warrantee or maintenance.

In my area, I had no trouble with the local dealer (Honda) working on my 08 with the champion conversion. I have heard of folks not being able to find someone to do their maintenance.

Usually, the Honda dealers will work on the front half and trike manufactures work on the back half. I'm guessing this is pretty much true with other trike conversions as well.

Do your homework, make sure you get a reputable installer. Then be a little pro active about followups. Find out who will work on your choice and honor warrantees.

Of course, if you are able to do your own wrenching, this isn't an issue. I did much of my own wrenching all my life. Most of us have some reason for migrating to a trike ... "age appropriate" generally sums them up. In my case it was bad knees and a loss of confidence in being able to hold the big touring bikes I love up when I stop. So, if I am unsure about holding them up, probably not able to get on the ground and do the wrenching. So in my case I went looking for a "factory" trike.

After I lost that in a bankruptcy, I did get a Gold Wing and loved it. It is true that the Gold Wings are "bullet proof" (basically, but, they do require occasional maintenance more than just oil changes). Something to think about, is if you are somewhere outside your normal area, IE on a 3k mile trip and something fails on your Gold Wing, especially on the rear end, you might be in a pickle finding someone to help. Same could happen on a Harley or Can Am, but, you have a better chance finding help simply because you are riding a "factory toy".

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from getting a non factory trike, just pointing out the obvious issues that could occur.

So for me, the biggest issue to decide is "Factory Trike' vs. Conversion. Once you decide that, then do as many test rides as you can and decide which one speaks to your heart. Again, do your homework and research so you go into it with open eyes.

You're off to a good start, you will find all sorts of advice here and 99.99% of it is good (threw in the 0.01% incase I give you some bad advice in the future ... :blush:).

In summary, find out what the local dealers, installers and independent motorcycle shops in your area are comfortable with and adjust your decision accordingly. The less you have to think about service and repairs, the more fun you'll have just riding ... :D

thanks for the welcome

hello trikers ! thank you for the welcome and advice from all who responded! Had both HD Ultra, and HGW on two wheels but i've done long distance on both riding from Albuquerque,NM home to Kansas City, Ks a few times and the HGW, was definately more comfortable! The HD ultra wasn't a bad ride, had to recoop a day or two once arrived in KC, but on the HGW, my brother and i was riding the next day! I definately miss my potatopotato rumble at times, but this US Army paratrooper bad knee and bad back at 62 years young is pass the looking cool stage and needs comfort..lol, But, i still get the best thrill when i do decide which to go with,And thats still getting to ride!!!!! yes! see all you Cool people on the road! AIRBORNE! HOOAH!

Thanks Fuzzy

Thanks fuzzy for the advice! yes, checking the factory HDTG and Trike dealers that have conversions already set to sale, Bad knee and back has me very insecure on two wheels now a days and have had total knee replaced twice on the same Knee, so the quad muscle is like jelly sometimes! thanks for the Advice!

Welcome from Southeast Arizona. Have to agree with Fuzzy, whichever you decide give me a yell we can go riding. I know about the knees from the Army lol.

KEP here, In Mesa AZ., I have had Ulta classics,Roadglides, yamaha, Honda goldwings Fatboy Suzuki BLVD! But because of bad knee and back, moving up to the trike world after riding my brothers trike for a while and ready for my own, just figuring which, Harley TG, or HGW! welcoming all suggestions on what is most reliable and Lowest cost on maintanence!

Ken......Welcome to Trike-Talk.........:clapping:.....

Hi Kenny, :welcome:to Trike Talk

Test ride is the best thing going when trying to decide. Good Luck;)

Thanks fuzzy for the advice! yes, checking the factory HDTG and Trike dealers that have conversions already set to sale, Bad knee and back has me very insecure on two wheels now a days and have had total knee replaced twice on the same Knee, so the quad muscle is like jelly sometimes! thanks for the Advice!

As an oh by the way ... when I was on two wheels ... my day on a Gold Wing was 600 miles max. On a Harley Ultra about 500 miles max.

Now on three ... on my Gold Wing and Triglide it's about 550 max for either. That's about 10 hours max ... so if I'm on smaller back roads with lower speed limits I default to the time limit ... or the next day is a no go ... LOL.

Kenny, welcome from San Antonio, Texas. Thanks for your service. Good luck in your search for a perfect-for-you trike. :wave4:

Hello and :welcome: to Trike Talk, glad to have U with us. :clapping:

Thank you for your service. May I suggest a Goldwing trike.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png