Knock, Knock...who's there?

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I have a champion trike kit that was installed in 2010. I have included pictures of where I think I am getting a loud knocking when going over bumps, pretty much any bump, in the road. It was suggested that it may be one of three things: 1) the mounting bracket for the anti roll bar; 2) the a-arm bushings; 3) the shock bushings. I was also told that if the rod end shown in the picture is the noise to adjust it to see if it changes. Problem is I have no idea how to do any of this. I am looking for some guidance. I do not live in the US and am not near any mechanics that are at all familiar with trike kits.

Thank you.
rjbii
DSCN5241.JPGDSC05451 (2).jpgDSC05455 (2).JPG

Welcome from New Mexico. I am not familiar with the gold wing, I know someone will chip in with a response. Good luck in getting it fixed. Jim

Welcome to Trike talk from Southeast Missouri. Several questions, can you make the popping by rocking the trike when the trike is setting level and no rider on it? If you can you need to get under the trike and see if you can see any of the joints that are loose or the sound coming from a joint. Is the sound only coming from the back?

welcome aboard. Don't have knowledge on your trike, but someone should. You might try calling Champion and see if they have a suggestion on the issue. Keep us updated

Hello RJ and from the U.P. of Michigan welcome to the website That adjustable swivel will rattle with slack in the linkage if it is worn. On each end is a small swivel that will wear out . If you can move the linkage and make it rattle, replace it.

Good afternoon,
I have a champion trike kit that was installed in 2010. I have included pictures of where I think I am getting a loud knocking when going over bumps, pretty much any bump, in the road. It was suggested that it may be one of three things: 1) the mounting bracket for the anti roll bar; 2) the a-arm bushings; 3) the shock bushings. I was also told that if the rod end shown in the picture is the noise to adjust it to see if it changes. Problem is I have no idea how to do any of this. I am looking for some guidance. I do not live in the US and am not near any mechanics that are at all familiar with trike kits.

Thank you.
rjbii
View attachment 39702View attachment 39703View attachment 39704

Suggestion:
Go to champion web sight and download installation instructions, maintenance requirements and trouble shooting info?

Its a large file but it's a champion bible.

My solid axle champion rides pretty rough in town but smooth's right out on the highway.
How about your swing arm bushings?

I'm a Harley guy but those are my suggestions?

thnks so much for the info.

Welcome to Trike talk from Southeast Missouri. Several questions, can you make the popping by rocking the trike when the trike is setting level and no rider on it? If you can you need to get under the trike and see if you can see any of the joints that are loose or the sound coming from a joint. Is the sound only coming from the back?

ok, So I can make the noise w/out the rider. All joints, bolts, nuts, etc. seem tight, bushings seem real good, not dry or cracked. I took the linkage in the pictures apart and checked them to see if there was anything obvious, and nothing. So I put it all back together and now it isn't making the noise. So go figure.

thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome from Southeastern Illinois.

:wave4:

thanks to everyone for the welcome aboard.

rjbii

- - - Updated - - -

Suggestion:
Go to champion web sight and download installation instructions, maintenance requirements and trouble shooting info?

Its a large file but it's a champion bible.

My solid axle champion rides pretty rough in town but smooth's right out on the highway.
How about your swing arm bushings?

I'm a Harley guy but those are my suggestions?

The reason I am on the forum is because the guys at champion told me I could get the answers here.

:) But I will look up the installation instructions and maybe there will be something that stands out.
thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Hello RJ and from the U.P. of Michigan welcome to the website That adjustable swivel will rattle with slack in the linkage if it is worn. On each end is a small swivel that will wear out . If you can move the linkage and make it rattle, replace it.

Thanks, that will be my next move. It didn't seem to have much play at all but maybe it doesn't require much either. Appreciate the time. Thanks

rjbii

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png