Freewheeler Gas Mileage

Sunman

900+ Posts
Apr 6, 2011
Bellville, Texas, USA
The advertised MPG is pretty high. What are owners actually getting? A couple of years ago I converted a Honda GL-1800 to a trike. Before conversion I consistently got 40 - 42 MPG riding 2 up. After conversion the MPG was 30 - 32 if I kept the trike below 3,000 RPMs. Above 3,000 the MPG was normally 28 - 30.

So, what is really the MPG on the Freewheeler?

Thanks,

Sunman

Yeah, Fuelly is a good way to go if you want to track your mileage/MPG. They even have a mobile app so I usually enter the info before I leave the station. Click the 'Fuelly' icon at the top of my signature below. ThumbUp

Fuelly is nice; but, I just use an Excel spreadsheet for tracking mine - done it that way for years and for a lot of vehicles.

Anyway, I think it may be a good idea to make this FreeWheeler Gas Mileage thread a Sticky.

My Freewheelr is pretty new (under 1500 miles) and I am getting 36.3 as my average MPG. But, I always like to wait until I have 2500 to 3000 miles before setting my marked MPG on a vehicle. Also, I have always got "less than stellar" mileage on new Harleys in the first few fill-ups as the motor was breaking-in.....

But, I think its a good think for all us owners to post what we get as an average for everyone to take note.

Springman

Fuelly is nice; but, I just use an Excel spreadsheet for tracking mine - done it that way for years and for a lot of vehicles.

Anyway, I think it may be a good idea to make this FreeWheeler Gas Mileage thread a Sticky.

My Freewheelr is pretty new (under 1500 miles) and I am getting 36.3 as my average MPG. But, I always like to wait until I have 2500 to 3000 miles before setting my marked MPG on a vehicle. Also, I have always got "less than stellar" mileage on new Harleys in the first few fill-ups as the motor was breaking-in.....

But, I think its a good think for all us owners to post what we get as an average for everyone to take note.

Springman

Thanks for the reply. That is great MPG for a trike. If I could get that I would be very happy. The trike I had a couple of years ago was a GL1800 with a MotorTrike conversion. Around 60 MPH I would get maybe 34 MPG above 70 MPH it went to 30 MPG or below. MotorTrike did not have an optional fuel tank available. A couple of times while on trips in remote locations I almost ran out.

Sunman

Harley Electra Glide, Champion conversion kit, I get around 47 to 50 with big ole me and 60 pounds of gear.
The advertised MPG is pretty high. What are owners actually getting? A couple of years ago I converted a Honda GL-1800 to a trike. Before conversion I consistently got 40 - 42 MPG riding 2 up. After conversion the MPG was 30 - 32 if I kept the trike below 3,000 RPMs. Above 3,000 the MPG was normally 28 - 30.

So, what is really the MPG on the Freewheeler?

Thanks,

Sunman

my '13 Triglide (approx 18000 miles) gets 31-33 mpg, my Freewheeler runs 36-38 (approx 3500 miles). Freewheeler is stock, Triglide has stage one air cleaner, V&H headers, Rhineheart mufflers, and is reshot with S.E. tuner. First couple tanks on each was MUCH worse, as usual. It is what it is. love both but I do prefer the Freewheeler.
:)

my '13 Triglide (approx 18000 miles) gets 31-33 mpg, my Freewheeler runs 36-38 (approx 3500 miles). Freewheeler is stock, Triglide has stage one air cleaner, V&H headers, Rhineheart mufflers, and is reshot with S.E. tuner. First couple tanks on each was MUCH worse, as usual. It is what it is. love both but I do prefer the Freewheeler.

Wow, think I'll stick with my stock engine LOL ... My oils too, I get at least 230 on a tank LOL

I also have a 2013 TriGlide, only I have installed the SE 120r crate motor (also recently re-built with dumbed down cam), and I generally get 33 - 35 solo and about 31 - 33 two up. You can see from my signature that I am far from being stock in any area. I think the larger motor with more tq/hp does not have to work as hard as the OEM's and the stage 1 OEM's!!

Roger

I also have a 2013 TriGlide, only I have installed the SE 120r crate motor (also recently re-built with dumbed down cam), and I generally get 33 - 35 solo and about 31 - 33 two up. You can see from my signature that I am far from being stock in any area. I think the larger motor with more tq/hp does not have to work as hard as the OEM's and the stage 1 OEM's!!

Roger

:Agree:A larger motor doesn't work as hard so it can return decent fuel mileage with a good tune. My 06 Ultra with a 120" Head-Quarters build will return 41 mpg if I ride sane, I'm sure I could get a but more if I would be willing to run a touch leaner AFR. If I start horsing it the mileage will drop down to 35 mpg.

:Agree:A larger motor doesn't work as hard so it can return decent fuel mileage with a good tune. My 06 Ultra with a 120" Head-Quarters build will return 41 mpg if I ride sane, I'm sure I could get a but more if I would be willing to run a touch leaner AFR. If I start horsing it the mileage will drop down to 35 mpg.
yep that's a fact .... like my 88 ;-)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png