I need a reputable swing arm manufacturer/paghco style trike conversion kit

pcombe

Feb 25, 2013
casper,wy. usa
I need a reputable swing arm manufacturer/paghco style trike conversion kit

:Shrug: Hi Folks:
I am trying to convert my 24 yr. old 1989 Tour glide ultra witha paughco style trike kit.
The company only makes a swing arm that goes back to 1991.
I am told that the current paughco swing arm will work but there may be some battery relocation issue?
Does any one out there know what those issues are?
What the solution may entail?
I live in Wyoming and resourses are not as good as in other parts of the country.
Can any one give me the name of a REPUTABLE manufacturer that can make the swing arm i need?
Is someone out there a swing arm manf. That has made a swing arm to meet my requirements?
Thank you so much for any efforts on my behalf!
Pau

Re: I need a reputable swing arm manufacturer/paghco style trike conversion kit

:Shrug: Hi Folks:
I am trying to convert my 24 yr. old 1989 Tour glide ultra witha paughco style trike kit.
The company only makes a swing arm that goes back to 1991.
I am told that the current paughco swing arm will work but there may be some battery relocation issue?
Does any one out there know what those issues are?
What the solution may entail?
I live in Wyoming and resourses are not as good as in other parts of the country.
Can any one give me the name of a REPUTABLE manufacturer that can make the swing arm i need?
Is someone out there a swing arm manf. That has made a swing arm to meet my requirements?
Thank you so much for any efforts on my behalf!
Pau

The Paughco kit is basically a DNA Trike kit. You could use the 91-2001 Swingarm but you will have to do some spacing modifications at the back of the transmission. The battery issue is solved by relocating it to under the passenger seat. The trike swingarm will hit the bottom of the battery box if left in the stock location. DNA is having a sale right now....might be able to get a better deal.

I relocated battery to under seat on my 1991 Tourglide. Get a 1992-93 (I believe) battery tray off ebay for about $25. You will have to trim both ends off to clear oil tank and frame. I think your frame will already have the correct holes in it to mount the later model battery frame. Use a late model smaller Sporster battery with high cranking amp and shorten battery cables. I have been using this battery setup for two years with no problems. Most raked trees are made for later models and you will loose use of fork lock. Also stops on frame will not line up with raked triple tree stops, but no big problem that cannot be fixed easily.

I relocated battery to under seat on my 1991 Tourglide. Get a 1992-93 (I believe) battery tray off ebay for about $25. You will have to trim both ends off to clear oil tank and frame. I think your frame will already have the correct holes in it to mount the later model battery frame. Use a late model smaller Sporster battery with high cranking amp and shorten battery cables. I have been using this battery setup for two years with no problems. Most raked trees are made for later models and you will loose use of fork lock. Also stops on frame will not line up with raked triple tree stops, but no big problem that cannot be fixed easily.

Thank you buster:
That info will help.
Paul Combe

The Paughco kit is basically a DNA Trike kit. You could use the 91-2001 Swingarm but you will have to do some spacing modifications at the back of the transmission. The battery issue is solved by relocating it to under the passenger seat. The trike swingarm will hit the bottom of the battery box if left in the stock location. DNA is having a sale right now....might be able to get a better deal.

Thank you for saving me from my self!
I guess my old brain clutch is slipping again? It never crossed my mind that Paughco was not the manufacturer of DNA axles and such (DUH?)
I went to the DNA website and it is down for construction. (just like the nations hyways when i want to ride over them huh?
There are more than one way to skin a cat, i shot them an e-mail.
I still see a link to their 2012 catalog.
Paul combe

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png