Loss of Power After Conversion?

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on Hannigan to decide if they are going to do my Kawasaki Nomad.

If they do, I have no reasonable alternative to going with my 1600 cc bike.

But if they don't, I'll probably buy a Road King and have it triked.

So, my question is this.

Is there a noticeable difference in power after conversion?

If I find a pre 2007 Road King, it would be 88 ci or 1432 cc. If I go with a 2007-2011 Road King, it would be 96 ci or 1573 cc. the 2012's or upgraded earlier ones are 103 ci or 1687 cc.

I do a lot of solo riding, but I'm robust, so it's like riding two up anyway. Any my current bike (actually around 1550 cc) is hardly a burner. Cruises nicely, but still not a burner.

Should I focus on the larger engines if I have to go with a Road King? Or at normal highway speeds, does it really make any difference?

If you're leaning that much towards the Harely's then I'd say just buy the Tr-Glide and be done with it.
You will lose a bit of power but not much cause the differential ratio's should be different then what's on the bike already. Harley or Nomad.
Except a 5-10 mpg fuel loss as well due to the added weight and lower gearing.
Larry

I'm still waiting on Hannigan to decide if they are going to do my Kawasaki Nomad.

So, my question is this.

If I find a pre 2007 Road King, it would be 88 ci or 1432 cc. If I go with a 2007-2011 Road King, it would be 96 ci or 1573 cc. the 2012's or upgraded earlier ones are 103 ci or 1687 cc.

I do a lot of solo riding, but I'm robust, so it's like riding two up anyway. Any my current bike (actually around 1550 cc) is hardly a burner. Cruises nicely, but still not a burner.

Should I focus on the larger engines if I have to go with a Road King? Or at normal highway speeds, does it really make any difference?

If you go the Road King route then see if you can pick up a 2007 or newer Police Road King. It comes with a 103 motor and 6 speed trans. I used this for a base on my build. It's been a great combo. I have a Champion straight axle conversion and have done all the work myself. 510G S & S cams, big sucker air cleaner. Power Commander (Dynoed) at 96 HP and 103 lbs of torque. Good Luck

My Ghost Wheels conversion only weighs 60 pounds, so its like taking my grandson for a ride as far as weight goes. That was one of the reasons for selecting them.

So, my question is this.

I ride a '07 Vulcan 1500 Classic with the Voyager kit which I bought last summer. I notice I have to ride the clutch some when taking off, and going up a grade will have to shift down earlier than I normally did riding two wheels. I keep wondering if I'll have to do a clutch job down the road because of my slipping the clutch. I guess I'll find out :confused: I rode a 2002 Nomad for lots of years, and it's a great ride, but still only 1500cc's which my Classic is..... If I had it to over again, I'd consider the Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 LT which has lots of balls ;)

We have an 08 Ultra with a 2010 Roadsmith conversion. This is the only trike I have owned and I love it.However, even with the stock 96 motor it was under powered. Of course we ride two up, and pull a trailer on long trips. Went with a Stage 3, 103 ci big bore and now have plenty of power. Still not a hot rod but definitely gets the job done. No regrets.

its all what you want to do
i had a suzuki t500 2 stroke trike.... i went every where on it
hard tail w soft tires... comfort wasnt a big issue back then... but had no complaints about the power
more resently run a 1340 evo with some slight porting in the heads
two up w a camper.....its not a rocket but no problems on the hyway ...
wont hold a candle to the v max trike but not many hds ive owned will :)

Whatever you decide to do be sure you go with yellow, they are much more powerfull and fuel milage is fantastic !! :wave4:

My Super-glide with a Lehman conversion is 96 ci w/ 6 speed. I will run circles around the 2oo1 Screaming Eagle Road-glide I had prior to it with a 95 ci engine and 5 speed. While I've just had the trike a couple weeks it doesn't have any problems getting us around 2-up. And I am robust myself :) Of coarse I am not looking to be a hot rod just enjoy getting out and cruizing. :)

a couple of things to remember :

additional weight drains power -- if the rear diff. is of the automotive variety, it will weigh alot more than the aluminum casings from the various conversion manufacturers (e.g. Frankenstein)

aerodynamic drag -- having a body kit, though cosmetically appealing, will usually add weight and create drag... ditto for add on's like high seats, and/or luggage

I weighted the rear axle when I did my Frankenstein coversion. It is all alumnum and weights about 80 pounds. Light weight makes a big difference and I am running a stock 80" EVO.

I have an 06 FLHTI with a CSC conversion. I think the biggest "loss of power" is from the extra weight and air the new rear end adds to the motorcycle. Also, I think the parasitic drain on the powertrain is bigger with the conversion.

I'm running a 95", with SE 204 cams, 10.5:1 pistons, larger throttle body and nozzle, and an SE programmer. It put out 96 HP and 106 fl lbs of torque on the dyno. I'm very happy with the power on tap, its plenty for me, and the fuel mileage is in the 36 MPG area. I do notice that I have to ride the clutch a bit more on takeoff...

I'm very happy with my results, and I hope that you find a suitable bike to trike. Good luck, and enjoy the process!

DFT uses the original Goldwing rear end with added shafts. After removing rear fender and bags the additional weight is a few 100 lbs
I never checked actual weight difference

Have a 99 88 ci, was a little short on power starting out & on hills, went 2 teeth smaller on primary, plenty of power now, but geared a little low 3000 at around 60mph, I think the best woul be 2 less teeth on primary, & 1 more tooth on secondary drive sprocket, that should bring rpm dow about 250 at 60mph, with enough power starting out, was gonna do that to start with but thought I'd try this first, is ok for me cuz I stay off interstates, no hurry at my age..lol P.S. gas milage came up also when I geared it down!

Oh & guys, the reason for loss of power is not the weight!, It's the 2 big heavy automotive wheel u have to get & maintain turning, they are to giant flywheels, ever notice how well it coasts compared to 2 wheels?

I am satisified with my stock 03 FLH/Hannigan conversion. I saved money by converting my bike compared to a new triglide and I like the ride of the Hannigan much better. At first I noticed a drop in performance, but you get used to it after a while. I lost about 5 MPG (getting about 35 now), lots of curves and hills. Just remember, when you gain power you have to give up something.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png