Texas Rides & Gatherings 2017

Papa Zook

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 14, 2007
Conroe, Texas
Looking for suggestions for Texas Rides & Gatherings for 2017. We have been doing the Hill Country for several years now and can certainly continue that tradition, but I'd like to hear from my fellow Texans with some suggestions.

Maybe A swath through.....Comanche and up around Granbury, Possum Kingdom Lake, Eastland, Wichita Falls, etc? I'll bet Clint or somebody up that way would know that area pretty well and at least be able to advise. This is extreme northern end of hill country. Also would still be kind-of "central".

More hill country would be the Marble Falls, Johnson City, Buchanan Dam, Inks Lake, Burnet, Llano, Mason, Brady areas.

I very much do NOT recommend the Big Bend region.
Carla

Maybe A swath through.....Comanche and up around Granbury, Possum Kingdom Lake, Eastland, Wichita Falls, etc? I'll bet Clint or somebody up that way would know that area pretty well and at least be able to advise. This is extreme northern end of hill country. Also would still be kind-of "central".

More hill country would be the Marble Falls, Johnson City, Buchanan Dam, Inks Lake, Burnet, Llano, Mason, Brady areas.

I very much do NOT recommend the Big Bend region.
Carla

Ive never been to the Big Bend region Carla...why do you not recommend it?

You have to be a certain type of person to appreciate the VERY rugged terrain out there. I do, but a vast number of people think it's just miles and miles of butt-ugly, and it is ugly compared to hills and dales and rolling green pastures.

Additionally you must go at the proper time which is November to, ideally, March. Temperatures are too warm to down-right unbearable otherwise.

Also, March is not the best time to go as Big Bend is LOADED with Spring Break people so you have to have reservations well in advance and restaurants are super crowded.

Lodging accommodations are not plentiful, gas stations are far-between, motorcycle repair shops would be iffy and medical is practically non-existent. They usually airlift to Medical Center Hospital in Odessa as it is the regional trauma center. The little Alpine medical facility doesn't handle much.

There are a few little shops to browse in Alpine, Marfa, and Fort Davis.

The Fort Davis area has a couple of interesting loops to ride and then there are the star parties at McDonald Observatory at night.

The Marfa Lights are elusive. I have seen them 1 time, back when I was a student at Sul Ross State in Alpine.

I have been to watch for them on many motorcycle camping trips at Fort Davis but have never seen them again.

Most of the motorcycle groups that go out there stay at either Alpine or Fort Davis then make day trips to Big Bend, the loops from Fort Davis, and the night rides to McDonald Observatory and the Marfa Lights.

I guess the bottom line is I'm thinking that most of the ladies wouldn't like it and repair and medical issues would be a challenge.

Not much for being an organizer of events or rides... But might I suggest Fredericksburg area they have several wineries and surrounding areas including Johnston city, Blanco, Luckenbach, Wimberly etc...there is also Canyon lake nearby . just a thought...:Shrug:

You have to be a certain type of person to appreciate the VERY rugged terrain out there. I do, but a vast number of people think it's just miles and miles of butt-ugly, and it is ugly compared to hills and dales and rolling green pastures.

Additionally you must go at the proper time which is November to, ideally, March. Temperatures are too warm to down-right unbearable otherwise.

Also, March is not the best time to go as Big Bend is LOADED with Spring Break people so you have to have reservations well in advance and restaurants are super crowded.

Lodging accommodations are not plentiful, gas stations are far-between, motorcycle repair shops would be iffy and medical is practically non-existent. They usually airlift to Medical Center Hospital in Odessa as it is the regional trauma center. The little Alpine medical facility doesn't handle much.

There are a few little shops to browse in Alpine, Marfa, and Fort Davis.

The Fort Davis area has a couple of interesting loops to ride and then there are the star parties at McDonald Observatory at night.

The Marfa Lights are elusive. I have seen them 1 time, back when I was a student at Sul Ross State in Alpine.

I have been to watch for them on many motorcycle camping trips at Fort Davis but have never seen them again.

Most of the motorcycle groups that go out there stay at either Alpine or Fort Davis then make day trips to Big Bend, the loops from Fort Davis, and the night rides to McDonald Observatory and the Marfa Lights.

I guess the bottom line is I'm thinking that most of the ladies wouldn't like it and repair and medical issues would be a challenge.

Yeah thats not what we are looking for as a destination for sure Carla.

Not much for being an organizer of events or rides... But might I suggest Fredericksburg area they have several wineries and surrounding areas including Johnston city, Blanco, Luckenbach, Wimberly etc...there is also Canyon lake nearby . just a thought...:Shrug:

Well Randall, being that you're just a baby at 49 years old, Id say you're the perfect pick for a organizer. ;) You got a lot more energy than us seniors do.

Yeah thats not what we are looking for as a destination for sure.

Well Randall, being that your just a baby at 49 years old, Id say you're the perfect pick for a organizer. ;) You got a lot more energy than us seniors do.

Thanks for the compliment Randy! :laugh: I've got Terry saying half a century and yourself referring me as a baby :Shrug: I would love to... But as demanding as my job is, it would prove difficult for me to do so. However being both a senior and retired certainly has its own built in perksl...Y'a do what you want, when you want to do it! I'm jealous

Thanks for the compliment Randy! :laugh: I've got Terry saying half a century and yourself referring me as a baby :Shrug: I would love to... But as demanding as my job is, it would prove difficult for me to do so. However being both a senior and retired certainly has its own built in perksl...Y'a do what you want, when you want to do it! I'm jealous

I wouldn't know about the retired part, only the senior part. OK, I understand about the job thing so how about you just meet up with us when we are in the area and I will buy you a root beer?

I wouldn't know about the retired part, only the senior part. OK, I understand about the job thing so how about you just meet up with us when we are in the area and I will buy you a root beer?

Sounds like a plan! Who knows...might be able to break away for maybe an entire day without them noticing :laugh:

Yes sir, you can get a large root bear and two scoops if you want son...so long as you come wearing that Buc-ee Beaver suit. ThumbUp

Shoot....I'd borrowed that just fir the picture but got something better...Beaver nuggets for everyone ! And there real, I promise :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png