Replacing Vinyl on Fender

FRR

Oct 12, 2012
Batavia Ohio
Anyone been brave enough to replace a damaged piece of vinyl on you fender? My kit came with vinyl guards and I had an object hit it last week. It looks as though it torn the vinyl but I think ( and hope) it didn't get to the paint. Anyone taken the vinyl off and more importantly, tried to replace it. I know it is easier on some models, but I have a newer Hannigan kit and it looks like it may take some stretching and pulling to shape it correctly. That is what gives me a bit of hesitation.

Repairing fender vinyl. BE CAREFUL!

Anyone been brave enough to replace a damaged piece of vinyl on you fender? My kit came with vinyl guards and I had an object hit it last week. It looks as though it torn the vinyl but I think ( and hope) it didn't get to the paint. Anyone taken the vinyl off and more importantly, tried to replace it. I know it is easier on some models, but I have a newer Hannigan kit and it looks like it may take some stretching and pulling to shape it correctly. That is what gives me a bit of hesitation.

I had the same problem about 18 months ago also on a Hannigan kit. My bike is dark burgundy so it shows EVERYTHING. I was able to remove the old vinyl by using a heat gun (LOW setting) and just my fingernail to get it started from the outer top corner. TAKE YOUR TIME. Heat a small area at a time (only a couple of square inches), while GENTLY peeling the old vinyl away from the fender. KEEP THE HEATGUN MOVING AT ALL TIMES. TOO MUCH HEAT WILL BLISTER THE PAINT. Work diagonally from one corner to the opposite corner. It worked great. It took me about 35/40 minutes with no damage to the fender or paint.

Consider an option. I had the fronts of my fenders shot with Line-X. It's almost indistructable, looks great and has a lifetime guarantee.

The Hannigan fender bras look good on the kits also. I had a body shop install mine but if you take your time it shouldn't be too hard and I found an excellent video on UTube that showed how to do it.

I had the same problem about 18 months ago also on a Hannigan kit. My bike is dark burgundy so it shows EVERYTHING. I was able to remove the old vinyl by using a heat gun (LOW setting) and just my fingernail to get it started from the outer top corner. TAKE YOUR TIME. Heat a small area at a time (only a couple of square inches), while GENTLY peeling the old vinyl away from the fender. KEEP THE HEATGUN MOVING AT ALL TIMES. TOO MUCH HEAT WILL BLISTER THE PAINT. Work diagonally from one corner to the opposite corner. It worked great. It took me about 35/40 minutes with no damage to the fender or paint.

Consider an option. I had the fronts of my fenders shot with Line-X. It's almost indistructable, looks great and has a lifetime guarantee.

I'm going to either put on Expel or have the Expel guy do it. Great advice on the removal. I appreciate it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png