header

want to install catless header on 2017 tri glide.Can this be done without dropping mufflers?If mufflers do need to be removed what is the best way to remove the bolts from rear hangers seem like its pretty tight back there

You will need to drop the right muffler. You can get a combination wrench on the hanger bolts. A ratcheting box end wrench worked fine for me. It is 1/2 inch.

That should work fine. But I'll bet getting them re-installed is a bit more of a challenge. Never done it on a trike but it is as awfully tight space. Good luck with your mod.

I had to drop both mufflers but I removed the left side as an assembly with the crossover pipe. It's a tedious job getting to the bolts. I modified (a little grinding and bending) a combination wrench. Before reassembly, flip each isolator and bracket, and it will go back together much easier. BTW mine is a 2015 twin cam. I don't know if that matters. Good luck!

To make re installation of the mufflers easier, I put a stud in both rear holes of the mufflers

With this it is faster IMO to get the job done

Install a flat washer and lock washer before the nut, no need to flip the hangar or rubber insulator.

The nut will sit higher than a bolt making it easier to tighten;)

A ratcheting box end for sure that is why I think they were invented LOL mine is a flex head sears spline type not sure what they call them but it is great for muffler hanger bolts. just sayin Fred

Point to ponder, are you doing this for performance, sound, or less heat. From what I have read, a performance header doesn’t really help this motor that much for the cost, maybe 2-4 hp over a decatted stock pipe if your lucky. That changes with more motor enhancements. Many have decatted the stock pipe while on the, on two wheelers. I don’t know if it’s possible on the trike. They used a long drill bit for going thru walls, like $18/20 from Home Depot/Lowe’s store. You can find decatted stock headpipes on eBay around $120 or so.

To make re installation of the mufflers easier, I put a stud in both rear holes of the mufflers

Install a flat washer and lock washer before the nut, no need to flip the hangar or rubber insulator.

That's a great idea. The voice of experience.
icon7.png

Just turn it upside down and do it.....bolts are easy to get to. While out it ya might clean the bottom a little.

AND don't ask !!!

8~\o

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 264
  • trike upside down4.jpg
    trike upside down4.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 263
OH ME!

Sorry about that. Looks like right lower and fender might be on the concrete. BUT, I got to ask.....how did you do that? :confused: Ramps involved?

Sorry about that. Looks like right lower and fender might be on the concrete. BUT, I got to ask.....how did you do that? :confused: Ramps involved?

He said 'don't ask.' But inquiring minds want to know. Next question: how did you get it back up on its wheels. Looks expensive for sure.

Believe it or not, not a scratch on it. There were a bunch of boxes to the right of my bike. Eased over on the boxes.

What happened. Was jacking it up to work on the exhaust mounting for my V&H slipons. I have two different floor jacks. The normal every day pump it 15 times and a NASCAR aluminum jack that you pump twice and it all the way up. Forgot which jack I was using when I tried to raise it to up jack stand under the side frame tubing. Thought just one more pump and it's where I needed it, with barely one little pump The trike just eased over on it right side. Duh !!!Lucky I'd put those boxes there earlier. My neighbor came over and we just eased it back up right. I was totally surprised the only this I had to do is re-just the mirror.

8~\0

Texan you must be living right for that to have happened and no damage . . . and more importantly no injury. Thanks for posting the photo and the explanation.
icon7.png

what size bolt holds slip on to hangers?thanks

There is two ways I have decatted our stock pipes.

First was to cut it open at the stock welds from the inside face (motor side) only 1/2 way around then across, cut, chisel, grind scrape etc until cleaned out, then have a good welder weld it back together.

My second one (the 2018 Trike) I used long drill bits, spade bits and hole saws from the end. I think the long and larger bits from Harbor Freight worked best.

From my experience, the first one was better and easier but you need to know a welder.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png