Trying to figure what this is...

JJR60616

Reaction score
OK, so I ended up with this pretty cheap, and was toying with either putting it back to a 2 wheeler...because i have a swingarm and wheel set that would fit...

But also might keep it as a trike... Only not with those rear wheels (so dont bother flaming me for those...hahaha)

If i keep it, would do the usual 15 or 16, so I can get regular fenders etc.

However, I do have a couple questions, hoping someone knows the answers...

I am trying to find whose rear trike kit this is...only one I have seen so far similar, is the Frankenstein Trike Kits for Softail.

But those look like they have alloy spun axle covers (much fancier) than this one I have in pics.

So hoping someone will know so I can maybe just buy rear fenders to fit, rather than have to fabricate a set.

Also, cant tell what this little chrome box is (also in pics)... looks like either a starter box of some kind...(I assume, because I cant find a starter key or ignition of any kind... ) but had a couple people tell me it might be a air ride system.

I havent laid on the ground yet to look under... broken ribs... so hoping for an easy answer , before i have to start.IMG_20190820_184903172.jpgIMG_20190820_181440959.jpgIMG_20190820_181445018.jpgIMG_20190820_185016443.jpgIMG_20190820_185559359 (1).jpg

My first thought(s) was a Frankenstein kit but they aren't tubular I don't believe. Pure guess on my part is that it's home made but I'm sure you guys that have been triking would know better. I thought I might have a shot since I've been looking to convert for a long time but I've never seen anything quite like this one. Got me curious now too.:confused::Shrug:

:welcome: What a going , coming out of it :Shrug: hoses, wires , and what’s the green and red things ?

Ride Safe.

:welcome: What a going , coming out of it :Shrug: hoses, wires , and what’s the green and red things ?

Ride Safe.

Green is a indicator light of some kind.

Red button is a push button, so I was assuming starter.

Rocker switch is on it also... so was figuring air ride up/down or power kill switch.

I see wires in and out...but no hoses, but I cant see anything behind this, so the wires look like they are orderly, so might be going to a power panel, and maybe have air hoses behind ...

I'm leaning towards it being some kind of power box/starter assembly.

Once these ribs heal, I can get down and start pulling and looking etc...

But am curious , since I've been around motorcycles a long time, never saw any kind of box like this.

Also kind of dumbfounded that someone would build a bike like this, with no provision for a ignition lock, keyed security etc... so am going to have to sit down and see what I can do as far as that too.

Rear end appears to be a DNA. Mostly sold on E-bay. I think the rear end is durable enough, but I found the brakes to be inadequate. Hard to tell who made the mounts on yours.

Green is a indicator light of some kind.

Red button is a push button, so I was assuming starter.

Rocker switch is on it also... so was figuring air ride up/down or power kill switch.

I see wires in and out...but no hoses, but I cant see anything behind this, so the wires look like they are orderly, so might be going to a power panel, and maybe have air hoses behind ...

I'm leaning towards it being some kind of power box/starter assembly.

Once these ribs heal, I can get down and start pulling and looking etc...

But am curious , since I've been around motorcycles a long time, never saw any kind of box like this.

Also kind of dumbfounded that someone would build a bike like this, with no provision for a ignition lock, keyed security etc... so am going to have to sit down and see what I can do as far as that too.

Gota love a guy that answers his own question :clapping:Green light , ign on with rocker , push red , starter goes zoom , Simple starter relay under box. Doubt there is any air ride system. As it’s a simple trike set up. Heal up !

BTW, I like that thing , I’d leave it as a trike, and yup , those wheels are a little oversized and will screw up your low end take off. Could also be a early Frankenstein setup.

Rear end appears to be a DNA. Mostly sold on E-bay. I think the rear end is durable enough, but I found the brakes to be inadequate. Hard to tell who made the mounts on yours.

Thanks! Amazing how much more info I see on a search now that I know the DNA info. Really appreciated!

So looks like they have a decent rep etc... and I can handle upgraded brakes with no issues, I may even already have a set of PM calipers laying around.

But this will help me zero in on a fender system and sissybar assembly.

Thanks again!

Looks like you’ve got a good winter project!

Don’t rush those ribs!

Winter?!! I'm hoping to have this at least running by Labor Day.

Its been sitting for a few years in storage.

I scored it at a very reasonable cost, w/title so I grabbed it.

Battery and a few things, I should be able to do at least that.

Only real work is doing fenders and sissybar, changing those hideous rear wheels back to something respectable looking.

I'm learning a ton now that I know the rear end manufacturer (DNA)

Noticed the drive is now chain drive, versus I guess you can also keep a belt drive.

At this weight, I imagine this is a good thing.

Also heard some stuff about rake and trail, so I guess it would behoove me to know what I have going on with this also.

Any info, tips and advice welcomed and gratefully received! Thanks for all the welcomes also.

With that much extension and rake, I bet you hardly feel the front wheel contact at all. That could be a good or bad thing depending on the road, speed, etc. Looks like a fun project. A fellow here in Salem has almost the exact same set up and it's a DNA kit. Fortunately he is not running airplane sized wheels on it...lol. Have fun with it and leave it as a trike!

With that much extension and rake, I bet you hardly feel the front wheel contact at all. That could be a good or bad thing depending on the road, speed, etc. Looks like a fun project. A fellow here in Salem has almost the exact same set up and it's a DNA kit. Fortunately he is not running airplane sized wheels on it...lol. Have fun with it and leave it as a trike!

I just scored a couple 15 x 8 Chrome Half Moon Rims, to replace those...going to throw a new set of 225/60r15 on them.

Got a set of fenders too...

So changes are gonna come.

I live in Chicago so some gang member or tire shop will take the big ass wheels off my hands.

lts all coming together pretty fast now...all this info helped, a lot.

OK...so, have run into another case where no matter the search, cant find the info...

So looking for rear fenders , I tripped over a few I like...

But cant seem to find a separate bracket to mount them.

I dont have a body kit planned, so no way to hang them off a body.

The kit I liked, that looked easy and made for the DNA Trike kit/axle, has a too small fender.

And is "Out Of Stock" anyway.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/178-348/paughco-trike-conversion-black-powdercoat-fender-kit

And I saw another that had the whole kit...with a bracket I liked... but I just need the bracket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-TRI...ET-BRACKETS-FOR-DNA-PAUGHCO-NEW-/122857885754

So, does anyone know where I can just get an axle mount bracket for any fender that I decide on?

If its only for a half fender, fine...I just need to have fenders on this...

Running a 7 inch wide 15 rim and a 225/60r15 tire. 225 Tire is 8.9, so its a little tight I think for a 9 inch fender.

But as I'm not familar with tire/fender close tolerances, or trikes... maybe I'm leaving a little too much room if i go for 10 inch wide fenders, so any opinions (and or sources) are welcome.

If you can't find any "Bolt on" fenders/mountings for your ride, you'll have to either have a shop fab up something or do it yourself.

Not sure how handy with tools you are, but something from TS could potentially be adapted fairly easily to your framework.

Here's a link to some ideas on pre-fab fenders:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/trailer%20fenders

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carry-on-trailer-aluminum-fender-10-in-w-x-32-in-l?cm_vc=-10005

Good luck...

OK...so, have run into another case where no matter the search, cant find the info...

So looking for rear fenders , I tripped over a few I like...

But cant seem to find a separate bracket to mount them.

I dont have a body kit planned, so no way to hang them off a body.

The kit I liked, that looked easy and made for the DNA Trike kit/axle, has a too small fender.

And is "Out Of Stock" anyway.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/178-348/paughco-trike-conversion-black-powdercoat-fender-kit

And I saw another that had the whole kit...with a bracket I liked... but I just need the bracket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-TRI...ET-BRACKETS-FOR-DNA-PAUGHCO-NEW-/122857885754

So, does anyone know where I can just get an axle mount bracket for any fender that I decide on?

If its only for a half fender, fine...I just need to have fenders on this...

Running a 7 inch wide 15 rim and a 225/60r15 tire. 225 Tire is 8.9, so its a little tight I think for a 9 inch fender.

But as I'm not familar with tire/fender close tolerances, or trikes... maybe I'm leaving a little too much room if i go for 10 inch wide fenders, so any opinions (and or sources) are welcome.

Joe,

I believe you have a Santiago Chopper, or a copy of one. They are out of Florida and used the earlier version of what was to become the DNA rear axle. I think they fought with DNA over the rights. The picture below is one that I worked on in 2004 maybe. A VET bought it in Florida and brought it home to Baltimore. It had heavy fiberglass fenders and a steel 'fan mount' for the fenders. It is not a rigid but rode like one.

http://www.badassglass.us/trikefendersbodyaxle/13flattoptrikefender.html

Santiago Chopper.jpg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png