• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

How did you save up for your trike?

Reaction score
How did you save up for your trike?

I read an article that a couple wanted a trike but could not afford one. They both
ended up getting part time work ( they already had full time jobs) and the
paychecks from the part time work ended up going into savings account. 3-4
years later they ended up buying a trike.

My plan is to have all my bills paid off in about 3 years ( should only have
house , car note and 1CC)
And after the 1st of the year my second shift differential will go into a savings
account hopefully
At the three year mark will have enough to buy or a least have a large down
payment for trike.

In our case we actually employed that bumper stiker slogan seen on RV'S..."I'm driving our kids inheritance" meaning I did not relish the idea of one day dying leaving a wad of ca$h behind when myself and spouse SHOULD be enjoying it so we took out a loan from the 401K to make the monthly payments....HAVE NOT regretted for one second making the choice.....Also my spouse spent tons of hours scanning all trykes on "CYCLETRADER.COM" till she found just the right tryke to meet our desires....ours formerlly belonged to a retired police chief in southern TEXAS...we made the deal over the phone and I had a shipper deliver it from TEXAS to my Maryland front door for $750.00 INSURED....no way could have gotten machine here cheaper or any safer and we ride the heck out of this good looking thing

We had 3 PRIME OBJECTIVES that had to be met
1. Had to Harley Davidson
2. Had to be RED...she would not consider anything less
3. Had to look damn good and be damn fast....MY requirements and yes it is all that

My credit union wouldn't deal with me on the used Gold Wing trike I wanted so, the Harley dealer got my business... Needles to say, the Harley bank also got my business. The trike has been a dream of mine for many years, ever since i saw my first service car back in the early 70s. At 49... my dream finally came true. Ride safe my friends :)

Bigjoey, mine was a little different. I have a wonderful wife who saved for years and put money aside that I did not know about. When I retired from the military (28years) she handed me a check and told me to start looking. We found a 1500 Goldwing we loved and we got it.
Best of luck to you.

2 yrs ago was doing a big job that kept me busy even though weekends. So last year (at 49) I went into HD and told them what year and color I wanted. They had it for me 4 days later. Did I mention how much they try and talk you out of not getting financing?

I bought a second home 30 miles north of my house. Moved my wife there 5 years ago.

With the increase in savings generated by her no longer having access to my paycheck to fuel her shoe buying frenzies and changing all the curtains monthly, I bought a two bikes, a trike, and a truck.

doug

In our case we actually employed that bumper stiker slogan seen on RV'S..."I'm driving our kids inheritance" meaning I did not relish the idea of one day dying leaving a wad of ca$h behind when myself and spouse SHOULD be enjoying it so we took out a loan from the 401K to make the monthly payments....HAVE NOT regretted for one second making the choice.....Also my spouse spent tons of hours scanning all trykes on "CYCLETRADER.COM" till she found just the right tryke to meet our desires....ours formerlly belonged to a retired police chief in southern TEXAS...we made the deal over the phone and I had a shipper deliver it from TEXAS to my Maryland front door for $750.00 INSURED....no way could have gotten machine here cheaper or any safer and we ride the heck out of this good looking thing

LOL!! That's been my philosophy for years, "When I croak, if there's anything left for my kids....I have BADLY mismanaged my finances"!!

LOL!! That's been my philosophy for years, "When I croak, if there's anything left for my kids....I have BADLY mismanaged my finances"!!

Agree. I plan on running out of money at the very moment of my death. If I die next Thursday, I will reach my goal!

No, seriously- my wife and I have saved almost to a fault for many years now. When we decided to get a trike, we wrote a check. Now we are on the path to doing the same to pay off the mortgage before we retire.

I had been looking for a couple years and was able to set money aside. I did take out a loan because I then changed my mind about taking money out of the bank, but ended up paying off the loan within 3 months. I get nervous about bills. Several years ago, I surprised my husband for Christmas by purchasing him a Yamaha VMAX. He had wanted one for a long time, and I was able to finance that one.

I did a drastic thing. Sold my Kubota Tractor and ordered a Champion kit for the 1500. Should arrive in a week or so and another week to get back. I'll miss the tractor but having the trike should soothe my nerves.

Peter

When I decided I wanted a triked-out Shadow in 09 I called my CU and told them how much I wanted to borrow. 2 working days later I was approved and called Motor Trike and told them what I wanted, when I wanted it and what accessories I wanted Then I gave them the phone number for the CU and let them worry about the paperwork between themselves. 45 days later I was in Troup, TX picking up the Shadow.

When I got the 82 Goldwing Interstate this past June I just paid cash for it.

I made myself a deal in 2003. I'd quit smoking...and use the money I saved to buy my bike. If I took the "bad habit" up again, the bike would go. So far, I not only bought and paid for my bike, I triked it too... and quit smoking now for 8 years, saving about 3.5 grand a year.

I made myself a deal in 2003. I'd quit smoking...and use the money I saved to buy my bike. If I took the "bad habit" up again, the bike would go. So far, I not only bought and paid for my bike, I triked it too... and quit smoking now for 8 years, saving about 3.5 grand a year.

Smart dude!!!

My DAD taught me to pay cash for everything possible. 26 years on NOFD and 32 years USAF res. worked part time on river in NO port loading ships and tying up and releasing, line man. All the little brown Gov. checks and part time checks were deposited and saved . I have always worked 2 or more jobs since High school. Part time work is a good way to pay for extras. I have friends at Home Depot and Sears. With the high cost of education today I've met several people working part time for their kids. If there was no other way I guess a low interest CU loan would work its important to enjoy doing the things you want to do while you can, time stops for no one. curley

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png