Oil Leak

May 27, 2019
England
Hi all

After fitting the Arlen Ness Method Clear to my freewheeler, I’ve noticed oil on the floor after riding.

Ive watched a bit on good old YouTube to try and diagnose the fault, but I trust you guys better.

Am I correct in thinking I need to fit a crank case breather?

Is this normal behaviour after changing the air filter? I have also fitted new Cobra 909 mufflers, and the FP3. If this helps.

As always if anyone has any advice for this novice I’d really appreciate it.

Hi all

After fitting the Arlen Ness Method Clear to my freewheeler, I’ve noticed oil on the floor after riding.

Ive watched a bit on good old YouTube to try and diagnose the fault, but I trust you guys better.

Am I correct in thinking I need to fit a crank case breather?

Is this normal behaviour after changing the air filter? I have also fitted new Cobra 909 mufflers, and the FP3. If this helps.

As always if anyone has any advice for this novice I’d really appreciate it.

Are you sure it isn't blow-bye......And a little less oil in the crankcase will cure the problem.....:Shrug:....Very common problem with some bikes....I had that with my 11 Tri.. and i solved it by using less oil [1/2 Qt] in the crankcase..

Thanks Rhino

sorry mate i’m no mechanic and this is my first Trike/bike. Can you explain what blow by is please.

Thanks Rhino

sorry mate i’m no mechanic and this is my first Trike/bike. Can you explain what blow by is please.

Sometimes if the crankcase [Engine oil] is filled to the top of the full line on the dipstick oil will blow back out the air box and then seek its own level.....The early Can-am Spyder's were notorious for that...

So much so the air box was nicknamed ''Oil box''...[I had one]..And Harleys have been doing it for ever...Some call it .''Puking''...

Rhino

once again many thanks.

Ill keep an eye on it then, and fingers crossed it sorts itself out.

Ive checked the level and it is at the upper end.

If it makes any difference, I didn’t notice this until I changed air filter. It may be a coincidence as I’d not really ridden it much prior to that.

Rhino

once again many thanks.

If it makes any difference, I didn’t notice this until I changed air filter. It may be a coincidence as I’d not really ridden it much prior to that.

Just a thought I'm not familiar with that air cleaner but make sure you installed the gasket correctly. There is a breather hole in the gasket that aliens with a hole in the throttle body. I believe there is only one way to alien the gasket but in case check it out.

Rhino

once again many thanks.

Mechanics 101........Go back to the last thing you changed....:)

The new filter is less restrictive and lets the oil drip out....Or with the new filter you might run the engine a little harder ..Higher RPM's...:Shrug:..We all tend to do that when we first add performance equipment......Voom-Voom.....:)...

Just remove the air filter cover & air filter & look for oil by the throttle body & inside the cover.

From the factory the 2 crankcase breathers are routed via rubber hoses to drain back to the intake.

You can clean everything up & the air filter can be washed, if oil soaked.

On my 17 Freewheeler, I keep the oil level right in the middle of the dipstick marks when checked cold.

If overfilled, you can remove some oil with a big syringe & small rubber hose.

Thanks for the advice MDO

ill remove it tomorrow and have a good look at everything.

Ill let you all know how I get on.

Reactions: MDO
Hi Harrison

i have seen those.

Im in the U.K. and I couldn’t find them over here.

i wanted to see if it was anything els before paying out for something like that.

It is nature of the beast for these engines to puke some oil from the head breathers into the air filter

Some puke more than others

As already said try running your oil a bit lower in the oil pan

Also get a hold of D K Customs for a EBS for your trike, Read here http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/external-breather-systems-ebs-dk-faq-ebs

You probably did not see this with your stock set up, the hose from the head breather was routed into the intake, the oil would have been getting sucked back into the engine along with water vapor

Reactions: MDO
Jack

I’m just glad it doesn’t look like it’s something I have done. As advised by others and yourself, I’ll drop my oil down a bit, after checking the correct fitting of everything.

if I need a breather system, ill have a good look on uk websites for an equivalent version to DK Customs.

Not sure why they don’t build them with the similar set ups to stoke with a direct return pipe.

Jack

I’m just glad it doesn’t look like it’s something I have done. As advised by others and yourself, I’ll drop my oil down a bit, after checking the correct fitting of everything.

if I need a breather system, ill have a good look on uk websites for an equivalent version to DK Customs.

Not sure why they don’t build them with the similar set ups to stoke with a direct return pipe.

Most after market air cleaners still dump the oily mist back into the intake

I was surprised to see the Ness air cleaner with open bolts as you have

The oily mess has no clear path but to saturate oil and eventually drip out

Not a very well thought out set up IMO

Hope you get it sorted out and keep us posted;)

Jack

Because that direct return pipe spits oil into your intake air, which is about the last thing you want in your combustion chamber.

Hi all

As an update, I need to hold my hands up and say this rookie has found the oil leak.

I changed the derby cover and missed off the gasket. Only realised when cleaning the trike.

still putting the external breather on, but glad I found the problem. Got a manual coming which will teach me how to do things properly.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png