Fork springs

Aug 9, 2015
East Peoria
This winter I'm replacing the seals and bushings in my forks, 2007 GL1800 CSC Cobra trike. Should I consider replacing the springs as well? Possibly progressive springs, or stay with stock?

Any thoughts or experience?

This winter I'm replacing the seals and bushings in my forks, 2007 GL1800 CSC Cobra trike. Should I consider replacing the springs as well? Possibly progressive springs, or stay with stock?

Any thoughts or experience?

not sure if the 1800 forks are any comparison to the valkyrie forks but i ran the valk trike for a year with the stock springs. and the forks always felt allittle mushy. so i installed progressive springs. then the forks felt really stiff to the point my shoulders would get jarred from bumps. i left the progressives in but when i changed the fork oil after installing new seals i put in 2 ounces less fluid per fork. that helped the stiffness. and the forks felt alot better.

Springs

Thanks guys, I've always felt my front shocks were a bit harsh on bumps so I guess progressives are out. Thought maybe they would be a bit softer initially then firm up, don't sound that way. I've seen where some have put lighter weight oil in the shocks, but don't have any idea what's in it.

I always replaced the OEM springs in my 2 wheel Goldwings (4 different bikes) with progressive. They improved handling of the bikes. I don't think they would do much on a trike other than make the suspension firmer..... Jim

Thanks guys, I've always felt my front shocks were a bit harsh on bumps so I guess progressives are out. Thought maybe they would be a bit softer initially then firm up, don't sound that way. I've seen where some have put lighter weight oil in the shocks, but don't have any idea what's in it.

if you have the money and want the best forks you can get. check out traxxion dynamics. i have yet to hear someone that doesn't like them. they are expensive though. but like i said with mine i removed 2 ounces of oil per shock and that made a difference with the progressive springs. race teck also makes fork springs but i don't have any knowledge of anybody that has used them on a trike.

Traxxion Springs

We are going to order a set to rebuild our front spring setup as they are getting weak on our 2010 Goldwing Trike. Doesn't have many miles but they are sagging really bad and doesn't handle well at all. Traxxion did suggest that i get the extended fork caps to use with the rake kit on Trikes, new seals, and new tapered roller bearings for the head, being it will be torn apart already. We already decided on the tapered roller bearings before contacting Traxxion.

They set the springs up for you and your passengers weight and the weight you carry in your trunks.

Also set them up for your riding style and if a bike or a trike. We are going with the AK20's.

[FONT=&quot]Besides better bump absorption, the AK20s calm down a lot of the normal trike jiggles due to the improved damping.

Not cheap but suppose to be darn good with no complaints that i have heard or read.[/FONT]

if you have the money and want the best forks you can get. check out traxxion dynamics. i have yet to hear someone that doesn't like them. they are expensive though. but like i said with mine i removed 2 ounces of oil per shock and that made a difference with the progressive springs. race teck also makes fork springs but i don't have any knowledge of anybody that has used them on a trike.

I took Progressives out and went to Racetech but I have a 1500.I didn't mess with fluid levels or anything with the Progressives.I had to mess with the spacer length a few times to get them where I wanted.I personally feel CrystalPistol has a great explanation for the Progressive in the 1500 and they just don't have the right rate mix for a trike.One thing to consider with a rake is you are not pushing down on the forks as straight down as before and the aftermarket springs that were great as a 2 wheeler are now too strong.

Wow, I never thought about the forks with my Indian CSC conversion. Should I be considering something to be done there as well. Like maybe a heavier fork oil or something else?

Front Springs and Rocky's Comfort Risers

Got our Traxxion front springs put in and Rocky's Comfort Risers for the handlebars installed and what a different machine we have now.

It rides great and the handlebars are set perfectly for us and now i can finally "fully" use the backrest on our Trike. No more neck, shoulder, back pain from reaching for the handlebars. The risers brought them back, raised them up, and we adjusted them closer together also. Couldn't believe we were driving the same Trike.

I knew the front springs were getting "soft" but didn't think they were that bad!

Changed the handling and ride for the whole machine to the better!

Got our Traxxion front springs put in and Rocky's Comfort Risers for the handlebars installed and what a different machine we have now.

It rides great and the handlebars are set perfectly for us and now i can finally "fully" use the backrest on our Trike. No more neck, shoulder, back pain from reaching for the handlebars. The risers brought them back, raised them up, and we adjusted them closer together also. Couldn't believe we were driving the same Trike.

I knew the front springs were getting "soft" but didn't think they were that bad!

Changed the handling and ride for the whole machine to the better!

glad you got it worked out and happy with the trike now.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png