Big guy sissy bar questions.

Aug 6, 2015
Holiday
I have an issue, hoping someone here might have an idea. As you can tell from my avatar picture I am a large guy (yah I guess that is an understatement. 6'1" and around 4 bills) My wife is a full figured lady. Here is the issue, we REALLY want to ride together on the FLRT, but when she is on the back with the sissy bar it pushes me too far forward, like my tender bits on the tank forward. Anyone have any sugestions on a sissy bar that would maybe push her back 2 inches or so? She really doesn't want to ride without a bar at all.

I would think you could mod the existing one. The welding and such is no issue, it's finding someplace to rechrome it. Maybe have a weld shop make a second one and have it power coated. One for one up and one for two up.

I'm pretty sure it's stainless.
A stainless adapter would be the easiest I would think.
My wife finds it to far forward for her, good thing I'm a small guy.
This winter i am going to make a new one. 4 inches taller and 2 inches forward.

The adapter can look kinda like a Z. I prefere to do a 45 degree bend, they look better.
Only costly part is the chroming. Its gone out of sight with the new regulations.
Powder coating is a lot cheaper
I do everything by hand with basic tools so it takes me a spell

Would seem to me you should be able to find round stock the same diameter as the stock back rest. Anyone good with a pipe bender should be able to fabricate you anything you want.

How close to max weight will the two of you be to the Free?? My wife suggested getting her a Free of her own. :D

Would seem to me you should be able to find round stock the same diameter as the stock back rest. Anyone good with a pipe bender should be able to fabricate you anything you want.

How close to max weight will the two of you be to the Free?? My wife suggested getting her a Free of her own. :D
Pretty close, might be a touch over. I would love to get her a free of her own, just need to find the cash flow, we did a new car for her, a new Crew cab Ram for me and a new free this year we have hit our fun money limit LOL

I'm pretty sure it's stainless.
A stainless adapter would be the easiest I would think.
My wife finds it to far forward for her, good thing I'm a small guy.
This winter i am going to make a new one. 4 inches taller and 2 inches forward.

The adapter can look kinda like a Z. I prefere to do a 45 degree bend, they look better.
Only costly part is the chroming. Its gone out of sight with the new regulations.
Powder coating is a lot cheaper
I do everything by hand with basic tools so it takes me a spell

This. Have an adapter made out of stainless. Polish adapter. (polished stainless looks like chrome)
Law of physics apply here. :)

My thoughts exactly Clint44
The backrest mount us 3/4 inch. Its pretty easy to find. I will use cold roll steel 3/4 inch and have it powder coated. I might just make a adapterinstead. I made one for our super glide a d since then i had to make 4 more by requests after they seen it.
Most things are really simple to make if you take your time. Lot less cost and a real good cool factor after making it.

My thoughts exactly Clint44
The backrest mount us 3/4 inch. Its pretty easy to find. I will use cold roll steel 3/4 inch and have it powder coated. I might just make a adapterinstead. I made one for our super glide a d since then i had to make 4 more by requests after they seen it.
Most things are really simple to make if you take your time. Lot less cost and a real good cool factor after making it.

I would love to see this adapter you're talking about if you happen to have some pics? I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out a good way to move the sissy bar back on my FLRT so my wife can ride comfortably without me ending up sitting on the tank, and I just can't come up with a good solution. Perhaps my engineering skills have wasted away with the years of non-use, haha.

big guy sissy bar

Have you ever seen the sissy bar-carriers set up thar were on the 2010 and 2011 flhxxx trie glides. you could copy one of those or buy one and put it on your freewheeler. then you would have a lot of room
PS if you did get one I would advise reinforcing it with some flat bar

Have you ever seen the sissy bar-carriers set up thar were on the 2010 and 2011 flhxxx trie glides. you could copy one of those or buy one and put it on your freewheeler. then you would have a lot of room
PS if you did get one I would advise reinforcing it with some flat bar

I'm very sorry, and I'm really not trying to be a dick, but I have absolutely no clue what you're trying to say here. Between the horrid spelling and the fact that no tri glide that I've ever seen has a sissy bar (they all have tour packs...), I cannot for the life of me figure out where you're trying to go with that comment.

Would you please try again and try to be a bit more coherent?

FLHXXX

The 2010-2011 FLHXXX Street Glide (no longer being made) had a luggage rack option that you could buy
that had a provision to attach a passanger sissy bar
to it.
This was avail because the trike had NO tour-pak.
After looking at a Freewheeler I do NOT see where
that setup will fit on it I.E. the area where it would be
mounted is the opening trunk lid.

I know the triple X pretty well as the Wife and I each
have one - and we LOVE THEM.

ThumbUpThumbUp

sissy bar

The FLHXXX carrier and sissy bar can easily be mounted on the freewheeler. Just put the FLHXXX carrier and sissy bar on the trunk lid where the freewheeler carrier goes. I cant explain it in writing but if you want to phone me I could explain it to you pretty easy. Doing this would move the sissy bar back about 6 more inches and would look as if it was made for it. I can be reached at 250-558-7705 any time after supper except on Thursdays
PS I don't know why you think my spelling was so bad. I only misspelled one word and that was just a key pressed accidently

Not so sure it would work. At least if you already have the air wing rack like I do, wish it would have. I am also not sure how the trunk lid would handle the weight of the rack, or the pressure from using the back rest. I looked into it a few months ago.....here is a pic of the FLHXXX rack... 20151017_104525_resized.jpg

The FLHXXX carrier and sissy bar can easily be mounted on the freewheeler. Just put the FLHXXX carrier and sissy bar on the trunk lid where the freewheeler carrier goes. I cant explain it in writing but if you want to phone me I could explain it to you pretty easy. Doing this would move the sissy bar back about 6 more inches and would look as if it was made for it. I can be reached at 250-558-7705 any time after supper except on Thursdays
PS I don't know why you think my spelling was so bad. I only misspelled one word and that was just a key pressed accidently
He can't read Canadian very well.

that is exactly what I have been searching for

Will that fit on the Lehmann Renegade rear?

Where would you find one these days??
NPR Harley had one a couple months ago, (that one is in the pic) they may still have it. Just ask if they have the Street Glide Trike rack. Harley does not make them anymore it seems. Talk to Joe Joe if you call he may remember it is the one James or JD was looking at for his blue Freewheeler....

sissy bar

the only difference in weight from the freewheeler rack and the FLHXXX rack would be the weight of the actual sissy bar which is about a pound and a half. I know it will work as I had a FLHXXX rack before I sold it to the Texan. I have a freewheeler now and before I sold the rack I set it on the trunk lid to see how it looked. You might have to add a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum for extra support but that is a simple thing. As for finding one. Go to any Harley shop and ask them to check which dealer has one in stock. If none are available in the states phone any Canadian dealer and they can also check. I know there was one in stock in Kamloops BC, Shipping costs $45 to the states

the only difference in weight from the freewheeler rack and the FLHXXX rack would be the weight of the actual sissy bar which is about a pound and a half. I know it will work as I had a FLHXXX rack before I sold it to the Texan. I have a freewheeler now and before I sold the rack I set it on the trunk lid to see how it looked. You might have to add a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum for extra support but that is a simple thing. As for finding one. Go to any Harley shop and ask them to check which dealer has one in stock. If none are available in the states phone any Canadian dealer and they can also check. I know there was one in stock in Kamloops BC, Shipping costs $45 to the states

It might fit and weigh about the same but I would be leery of using this on the FW. I would think that having someone leaning against the backrest plus the side to side stress while riding would not be good for the FW trunk lid, latch, gasket, etc. I would think it would be worse if you had a bag on the rack and a passenger leaning against the backrest. I may be wrong but I just don't think it would be a good idea. Has anyone actually used one on a FW?

Sunman

It might fit and weigh about the same but I would be leery of using this on the FW. I would think that having someone leaning against the backrest plus the side to side stress while riding would not be good for the FW trunk lid, latch, gasket, etc. I would think it would be worse if you had a bag on the rack and a passenger leaning against the backrest. I may be wrong but I just don't think it would be a good idea. Has anyone actually used one on a FW?

Sunman

I completely agree with Sunman on this topic. The FW's trunk lid is certainly not engineered for that kind of stress. One big crack of the throttle and the wife and lid are gone. ;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png