Brake calipers w/4 bleeders 2019 Goldwing converted with California Style rear end

John1116

Sep 7, 2019
Davenport, Iowa USA
Brake calipers w/4 bleeders 2019 Goldwing converted with California Style rear end

Earlier today I wrote and posted the following on a trike fans group on FB, so if something doesn't seem to read correctly,l thaty may be the cause....or it's just that I may be ain't do the right so good...

[Hello to all who come across the following and thanks in advance for any assistance. My dad is trying to help our next door neighbor, who recently bought a 2019 Goldwing that was converted into a trike immediately using a kit/style called "California Style." BTW, I only know what it is that they tell me, I am helping them by, hopefully, middle manning some answers online, as they are kinda behind on the modern technology of the world. I know little of mechanics on bikes, trikes, planes etc

So, he's been unhappy with the feel of the rear brakes, they appear to be nearly non existent. In the 4 months or so since the purchase he has taken it in to where it was built for him, a fairly reputable Honda bike dealership, 4 times now in the short time since he received the trike. He says that every time he's gone to the dealership to have them look at it, they're only gone long enough to have barely gone around the block, then upon giving their assessment of the situation he's told there's nothing wrong. He leaves and then repeats the scenario.

Today he wanted to break the scenario cycle by bleeding the brakes and he asked my dad for help with it. upon getting into the project they realized that both of the rear calipers have what seems to be 4 separate bleeder valves, which was definitely an issue as neither had seen this before in there 70ish yrs on the planet. So, I am being asked to ask the internet if you/it/anyone can explain what the proper protocol would be to bleed these calipers would be? Again, thanks in advance for any response as well as for taking the time to offer assistance

Mario

Your conversion probably has anti dive

Do you have 2 bleeders on both rear calipers? Total of 4

Try this, keeping master cylinder full at all times

1: Front Left Caliper Upper Bleeder Valve 8mm

2: Front Right Caliper Lower Bleeder Valve 10mm

3: Rear Caliper Lower Bleeder Valve 8mm

4: Anti-Dive: bleeder valve on top 10mm

5: Rear Caliper Upper Bleeder Valve 10mm

Your conversion probably has anti dive

Do you have 2 bleeders on both rear calipers? Total of 4

Try this, keeping master cylinder full at all times

1: Front Left Caliper Upper Bleeder Valve 8mm

2: Front Right Caliper Lower Bleeder Valve 10mm

3: Rear Caliper Lower Bleeder Valve 8mm

4: Anti-Dive: bleeder valve on top 10mm

5: Rear Caliper Upper Bleeder Valve 10mm

I will be asking sortly, but I am almost certain that he will tell me that theres 4to each caliper, making a total of eight. this will become increasingly enjoyable as time goes along....

Oh and thanks to all for the welcome, the replies and the help!!

John116

(actually Mario his son)

Go to page 16 in this link....f

If its a 2019 Goldwing from what your saying I think you have a California Sidecar Encore kit....

Hello again, all!

I hope that I have correctly multiquoted this response and my apologies if not. My father, upon looking at the instructions provided by the 2 (hopefully correctly) quoted members, tells me that, from what he saw in the linked instructions, he performed the bleeding as directed in on page 39. For whatever reason, it seems to have not really changed much of anything in the feel of the how the trike brakes.

with all that being said, he did ask me to post a thank you to those who responded to the post. He says it was much appreciated. I say thanks to you guys as well. Especially considering that, because he wasn't looking for these directions on google as being a side car kit, there was practically nothing of any real substance to be found. So again, much, much appreciation to you guys for the quick and accurate assistance!

Thanks to you all very much,

John Noriega and (by proxy) Mario Sanchez

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png