Improving How We Hear When travelling on our Trikes

I rarely ride alone, always choosing to enjoy the riding company of friends. There's no secret that being able to connect with our friends by CB or other communication device, enhances the safety and pleasure of the ride.

Unfortunately, as we age, many of us start to experience hearing loss - no matter the quality of our headsets, we're not always certain we're hearing the communication correctly.

Earlier this year I attended the Phoenix Motorcycle Show and found myself observing the activity buzzing around the Fit-Ear (http://www.fit-ear.com) booth as fellow bikers were getting fitted for ear buds to use in conjunction with their communications system. I soon found myself in the chair getting ear canal molds taken and about five weeks later, the finished product along with appropriate cord adapter arrived in the mail.

The ear buds fit amazingly well and now with about 6000 miles of travel under my belt since then, I have to declare that I wish I'd had them years ago. I hear my riding buddies on CB very well, my wife and I chat back and forth freely and the music now is absolutely fantastic. Whether riding the desert roads of southern Arizona or in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies, I get to enjoy every crisp note from Willy Nelson's guitar as he picks his way through a song.

I must admit I'll not easily forget the gasp from my wife when she saw the price, but whats to be said when you get to make a 'quality of life' decision. :)

If your looking to enjoy your rides more, check out the link: http://www.fit-ear.com

I have no business connection or financial interest in Fit-ear!

:) :) :) :)

Here's the link to what I purchased SMSgt:
http://www.fit-ear.com/products-page/aviation/m-2-dual-driver/

In addition to motorcycle use, I frequently use the ear buds to plug into my iPhone, iPad, MP3 player etc., to enjoy good sounding music.

:) :) :) :)

Didn't know such a product existed. Bet they work real well......

Many years ago I realized that anytime I got over 50 or so mph the wind noise just destroyed my ability to hear any audio so I modified my helmet to allow noise canceling ear buds to be plugged in which at the same time cut out the installed mini speakers. Around town the speakers work great so I don't mess with the ear buds.

I just have to have my tunes and c/b so what I did was very effective and doesn't cost all that much. Total investment was maybe $75 and a couple hours time. I've since modified two replacement helmets for myself and also a couple friends.:xszpv::xszpv:

I have a couple of questions:
We wear shorties in the summer. I have put on ear speakers to one of our sets of helmets, but they are hot during the summer. Here my one of my questions, can you wear ear buds that you can buy at a music shop, Wal Mart, or other places and have them tie in to your Honda plugs?
other question, is there an adapter to go from a regular ear bud plug to a Honda 5 pin plug?
Thanks Gold Rush.
PS. I used your name in the What Did You Do.....
thread.

Thanks,

Rosy

I have a couple of questions:
We wear shorties in the summer. I have put on ear speakers to one of our sets of helmets, but they are hot during the summer. Here my one of my questions, can you wear ear buds that you can buy at a music shop, Wal Mart, or other places and have them tie in to your Honda plugs?
other question, is there an adapter to go from a regular ear bud plug to a Honda 5 pin plug?
Thanks Gold Rush.
PS. I used your name in the What Did You Do.....
thread.

Thanks,

Rosy

My experience on your 1st question is yes and no. Hang on, I'm not a politician - I have tried the regular ear buds on a 1/2 helmet, and for me found the wind and road noise washes out a lot of the music. I switched to the in-ear speakers, ear plug speakers, canal speakers or whatever the maker calls their product and found they are a great improvement. Usually come with different size foam or silicone parts that go into your ear to customize them to the size of your ear canal and make a good seal to block out external noise. They can even be had in active noise cancelling versions. (Google " in-ear headphones" for more info than you probably need.
They can be had for $14 to as many hundreds you are willing to pay. I have a set of Kicker Valid Talk ( http://www.kicker.com/VALID_TALK ) that I like the sound, it has a mic/control node on the cord so I can use it on my phone or an Mp3 player or the adapter from 5 pin to 3.5mm (1/8") jack.
Which brings me to the next question, a Wing to ear plug jack adapter. Again, Google it to get too much info. I got mine from Aerostich, it is simple and works well. ( http://www.aerostich.com/review/product/list/id/1862/category/98/?p=1 )

Re: Improving How We Hear When traveling on our Trikes

:Agree::Agree:

That is 100% correct to both answers. What I call ear buds are in fact the same thing Ozarkryder refers to. They are marketed usually as noise canceling ear buds. The three different size soft rubber tips are vital to the equation. Keeping the wind out is the key.

Rosy, do you use a c/b? if so you'll need a different type of adapter.. One that allows the c/b use and a place to plug in the ear buds. I've seen them advertised but for the life of me can't find the vendor now.... :xszpv::xszpv:

I did a little research.... Here's where to get them... http://www.edsets.com/products.php?category_id=62 They are a little expensive but if you want c/b and ear buds then you either modify your helmet like I did or buy the adapter....

Thanks guys, really great info to have available. As for the CB, we only use it when we are traveling with a large group and need traffic control. So, this maybe once a year, and then we can wear our 1/2 helmets with the boom mikes so we can use the CB. Or if the weather is really bad, we wear our open face helmets with shields in case we need a CB.
Any other time we use our 1/2 helmets and we use the speakers on the trike to hear the music.
My wife will tell you what a difference in sound quality and hearing after I wired the rear speakers on the trike. It sounds like you are in a concert hall when the stereo kicks in.
Again, thanks guys for the info.

Rosy

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png