What Ceramic Coating Can't Protect Against

Jun 15, 2013
Red Banks, MS
You may have seen my thread on ceramic coating my bikes and Mary's truck. It is here- https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/52304-Ceramic-Coating-My-Paint

I am very pleased with how well the ceramic coating has been keeping them looking good, and very easy to clean.

However, sometime in the last week, a rock, or piece of metal, broke thru the ceramic, the clear coat, the paint, the primer and right into the ABS.

I don't think a protective film would have stopped this either...although it might have made it smaller.

Rock%20Chip%202.jpg

Rock%20Chip%201.jpg

I've personally never had good luck with using touch-up paint. But I think I'm the variable there. At some point I'll ask a friend of mine, who's a body & paint man, to take care of it.

No hurry, it's not metal underneath, so nothing is going to rust.

Kevin

Sorry to hear that Kevin. That debris had to be really flying. I have a couple fender chips to fix in the spring too.

Kevin, sorry to hear your beautiful trike got dinged up. Hopefully your body man can take care of it without too much of an issue.

Sorry to see that. When I had to repair one of my fenders the only problem was paint match, good luck

Yeah, it's a bummer...but better the bike than me. lol Whatever it was, it would have hurt! :xzqxz:

Kevin

Sorry to see this on a very nice trike, kinda surprised all those years and travels on the 2014 I don't remember you having anything like this happen to you, and if you did I missed it I guess

All for now Trampas

WoW! No matter what direction the object came from, it was moving with a lot of velocity, because that looks more like a gouge into the ABS than just a chip, unless the camera exaggerates the depth. A hit on any part the body with that much force, would certainly have turned a good ride into a bad day.

After you get it fixed and if the fix isn’t absolutely perfect you could put one of those bullet hole decals over the blemish and have a tale to tell about it being her Badge of Honor during the Mexico trip! :)

I know it is only a matter of time before I get a couple fender dings in my 19. I kept Harley bras on the 16 almost the whole time I owned it and even though I didn't have dings I had a couple rub marks.

This time around I have put the bras on a couple of times but ride without them about 90%. Seeing Kevin's pic though makes me rethink this strategy though.

Sorry to see this on a very nice trike, kinda surprised all those years and travels on the 2014 I don't remember you having anything like this happen to you, and if you did I missed it I guess

All for now Trampas

Yea he did .. kind of ... he was here in my town and we noticed some damage to a fender (scratch and deposited paint), like a car gets in a parking lot. I brought some rags, compound and wax. We were able to get it looking pretty good.

Keven, when I had my wreck in 2009, I got the bike back from repairs and notice a little ding and two little dents on the tank lower front left. They were from where the engine guard came up and just "Kissed" the tank. My local dealer (who did the repairs) made an appointment for me to bring it to their "paint" guy. He took the tank off and fixed it so well I couldn't find them again. Next day he put the tank back on and off I rode. They can do some amazing stuff these days. A lot of them are just painters and have the repaint an entire piece (Kind of like the parts changers), but, the a few artists left. If your guy is good, you'll never notice it. :D

Of course, you'll need to redo the ceramic, at least in that area after the repair cures.

I agree. It looks like it would have hurt!

I hate to even think about that.

WoW! No matter what direction the object came from, it was moving with a lot of velocity, because that looks more like a gouge into the ABS than just a chip, unless the camera exaggerates the depth. A hit on any part the body with that much force, would certainly have turned a good ride into a bad day.

Yes it is. It is a fairly deep gouge. Could have hurt!

Here's a couple of pics just taken outside the shop to give perspective. (vs. the other pics that were close up in the shop under fluorescent lights)

Ceramic%20Damage%201a.jpg

Ceramic%20Damage%202a.jpg

Here it is after the ceramic coating was done, before the damage.

TG%20Ceramic%202.jpg

I have a friend who arrived at our home one day...a couple of years ago...he had ridden his Ultra from Ohio and was visiting.

First thing he did when he got inside was roll up his pant leg.

There was blood all down his leg, onto his sock and into his boot.

Something had flown up and hit his pant leg (did not put a hole in them) and cut his leg pretty good. We cleaned it up, put a couple of butterflies on it, and he was good to go.

Never know what might fly up and hit ya...even with lower fairings.

Kevin

All for now Trampas

Yeah, as Fuzzy mentioned, the previous bikes have had their road battle scars. Mostly on the rear fenders, and the film did a pretty good job of protecting them.

On the '14 there was a tiny spot that got dinged with a rock (no film). It was half the size of this one in the fairing. We used some HD touch-up paint on it...did not turn out so good, but it was smaller.

Yea he did .. kind of ... he was here in my town and we noticed some damage to a fender (scratch and deposited paint), like a car gets in a parking lot. I brought some rags, compound and wax. We were able to get it looking pretty good.

Keven, when I had my wreck in 2009, I got the bike back from repairs and notice a little ding and two little dents on the tank lower front left. They were from where the engine guard came up and just "Kissed" the tank. My local dealer (who did the repairs) made an appointment for me to bring it to their "paint" guy. He took the tank off and fixed it so well I couldn't find them again. Next day he put the tank back on and off I rode. They can do some amazing stuff these days. A lot of them are just painters and have the repaint an entire piece (Kind of like the parts changers), but, the a few artists left. If your guy is good, you'll never notice it. :D

Of course, you'll need to redo the ceramic, at least in that area after the repair cures.

Yeah, was pleasantly surprised, and pleased, that scuff and paint came out!

Randy, my friend, will be able to make it like new...but will wait, I am sure there will be more before this TG has finished carrying us around the country! :)

I know it is only a matter of time before I get a couple fender dings in my 19. I kept Harley bras on the 16 almost the whole time I owned it and even though I didn't have dings I had a couple rub marks.

This time around I have put the bras on a couple of times but ride without them about 90%. Seeing Kevin's pic though makes me rethink this strategy though.

Yeah, the catch-22 of the bras. With them the scuff marks all but inevitable, without them worse may happen.

After you get it fixed and if the fix isn’t absolutely perfect you could put one of those bullet hole decals over the blemish and have a tale to tell about it being her Badge of Honor during the Mexico trip! :)

:D Road battle scars!

Kevin

Never know what might fly up and hit ya...even with lower fairings.

Kevin

In 2000 I had a Honda Aero had the look and almost sound of a Harley (cheeper knock off), anyway, I got the bright idea to ride it to Las Vegas for a pool and spa convention (big mistake, 500 miles on that thing almost crippled me).

Again, I digress, there is a canyon in Arizona on I 15, I think it's called the Virgin River Canyon. I was riding through it and all of a sudden, the bike swerved and wobbled. Almost put it down, I was so freaked I pulled over in the dirt along side the road. The bike just felt weird. A pickup truck pulled in behind me.

The driver ran out of his truck and said, "Are you okay? Did you see that?"

I told him I was fine and I didn't see nothing.

He said "What about your leg?".

I looked down and my right leg was covered in blood. My leg didn't hurt. I got off the bike and pulled up my jeans leg, nada, no cut, no redness, nada. I looked at the bike and the right side engine guard was broken away at the top from the frame. it was also covered in blood and feathers.

The guy said, "You were attacked by an owl!".

Who knew Owls don't like Honda's .. LOL .. I'm guessing louder pipes ticked it off (It was louder than my Tri, and it was stock). Having limited space on the areo, I only had just the tool bag that came with it. The p/u driver was a Harley rider, not relevant, but, I thought I'd point that out ... :D. He helped me check out the bike. The engine guard was sprung and was catching on the fork lock. We were able to bend it out of the way so I could get on the road.

So yep, there are many things that go bump in the night, day, sun, rain or snow if you are on the road and they are all out to get you ... nope not paranoid, just stating the facts :D.

In 2000 I had a Honda Aero had the look and almost sound of a Harley (cheeper knock off), anyway, I got the bright idea to ride it to Las Vegas for a pool and spa convention (big mistake, 500 miles on that thing almost crippled me).

Again, I digress, there is a canyon in Arizona on I 15, I think it's called the Virgin River Canyon. I was riding through it and all of a sudden, the bike swerved and wobbled. Almost put it down, I was so freaked I pulled over in the dirt along side the road. The bike just felt weird. A pickup truck pulled in behind me.

The driver ran out of his truck and said, "Are you okay? Did you see that?"

I told him I was fine and I didn't see nothing.

He said "What about your leg?".

I looked down and my right leg was covered in blood. My leg didn't hurt. I got off the bike and pulled up my jeans leg, nada, no cut, no redness, nada. I looked at the bike and the right side engine guard was broken away at the top from the frame. it was also covered in blood and feathers.

The guy said, "You were attacked by an owl!".

Who knew Owls don't like Honda's .. LOL .. I'm guessing louder pipes ticked it off (It was louder than my Tri, and it was stock). Having limited space on the areo, I only had just the tool bag that came with it. The p/u driver was a Harley rider, not relevant, but, I thought I'd point that out ... :D. He helped me check out the bike. The engine guard was sprung and was catching on the fork lock. We were able to bend it out of the way so I could get on the road.

So yep, there are many things that go bump in the night, day, sun, rain or snow if you are on the road and they are all out to get you ... nope not paranoid, just stating the facts :D.

Wow!

Been hit and almost hit by a lot of critters, but never an owl! Crazy. :xzqxz:

Kevin

Yeah, the catch-22 of the bras. With them the scuff marks all but inevitable, without them worse may happen.

I have fender bras on my Tri Glide for 3 years. Just took them off to do the ceramic coating, not one mark of scuff marker underneath them. Fenders still look pristine. So much for all the bad press about them. Forgot to say I have 40K miles on my bike!

I have fender bras on my Tri Glide for 3 years. Just took them off to do the ceramic coating, not one mark of scuff marker underneath them. Fenders still look pristine. So much for all the bad press about them. Forgot to say I have 40K miles on my bike!

I stand corrected. What fender bras are you running?

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png