DCT

Reaction score
Is the auto tranny on the new trikes going to be as reliable as the rest of the trike? Also, what are owners saying about the Goldwing nav system? I am looking at used trikes and I really like having nav in my car.

Gerald

I'm new to this forum and new to owning a DCT trike. I was not impressed with the DCT transmission after my purchase thinking I made a huge mistake getting the auto trans. After reading about the "DCT clutch initialization procedure" on the GL1800 forums I was really impressed with how it improved the shifting and feel of the auto trans. All my concerns about it are now gone and it shifts smooth and a lot quieter now.

As far as the Nav system goes,... it works but the features are really lacking if your use to a Garmin system. Everybody I talk to about says the same thing, "its horrible, Honda fix it!"

I'm new to this forum and new to owning a DCT trike. I was not impressed with the DCT transmission after my purchase thinking I made a huge mistake getting the auto trans. After reading about the "DCT clutch initialization procedure" on the GL1800 forums I was really impressed with how it improved the shifting and feel of the auto trans. All my concerns about it are now gone and it shifts smooth and a lot quieter now.

As far as the Nav system goes,... it works but the features are realling lacking if your use to a Garmin system. Everybody I talk to about says the same thing, "its horrible, Honda fix it!"

Eric.........

.Welcome to Trike-Talk.......:wave4:....

Something we have "seen" is customers who do not realize that "sport mode" does NOT mean manual shift & will still perform as an auto. Sport mode takes a lot of the "slack" out of the transmission (probably there for softer shifts as a 2 wheeler), the customers I've talked to seem to be much happier with the overall response when riding in sport mode in comparison to touring mode.

The clutch initialization process is a big deal that even a lot of Honda dealers don't necessarily "get". It should be something that every owner & technician is aware of for both 2 and 3 wheel versions of the dct.

I have no comment on the DCT systems as I don't have one. But as far as the Honda nav system, I have no problem with it. I am used to the Garmin Zumo 550 which is a very nice unit. But the Honda programming in their nav (BTW it's Garmin also) goes much farther with info than the Zumo did. I personally like it very much. It is more complicated than most nav systems but the manual included with it is very easy to comprehend. I think the biggest issue is that if the bike is in gear and moving, there is almost nothing you can do with the Honda GPS. That's a safety issue, where the ZUMO doesn't care if you're moving or not.

As far as the Nav system goes,... it works but the features are really lacking if your use to a Garmin system. Everybody I talk to about says the same thing, "its horrible, Honda fix it!"

Good to know on both counts!

Thank's,

Jim

Something we have "seen" is customers who do not realize that "sport mode" does NOT mean manual shift & will still perform as an auto. Sport mode takes a lot of the "slack" out of the transmission (probably there for softer shifts as a 2 wheeler), the customers I've talked to seem to be much happier with the overall response when riding in sport mode in comparison to touring mode.

The clutch initialization process is a big deal that even a lot of Honda dealers don't necessarily "get". It should be something that every owner & technician is aware of for both 2 and 3 wheel versions of the dct.

Also good info!

Jim

I have no comment on the DCT systems as I don't have one. But as far as the Honda nav system, I have no problem with it. I am used to the Garmin Zumo 550 which is a very nice unit. But the Honda programming in their nav (BTW it's Garmin also) goes much farther with info than the Zumo did. I personally like it very much. It is more complicated than most nav systems but the manual included with it is very easy to comprehend. I think the biggest issue is that if the bike is in gear and moving, there is almost nothing you can do with the Honda GPS. That's a safety issue, where the ZUMO doesn't care if you're moving or not.

The Nav system on my new 2019 trike wont even let me put in my own address?? My dealer could not even do it and according to Honda is a issue with the Nav's ability to recognize the address, something with the number and street name? I'll have a Garmin back on this bike as soon as I get the mount I want, I hear rumor that Traxxion Dynamics is designing one to mount where that stupid "pop-up" air deflector is.

The Nav system on my new 2019 trike wont even let me put in my own address?? My dealer could not even do it and according to Honda is a issue with the Nav's ability to recognize the address, something with the number and street name? I'll have a Garmin back on this bike as soon as I get the mount I want, I hear rumor that Traxxion Dynamics is designing one to mount where that stupid "pop-up" air deflector is.

Have you had any issues with your parking break holding? Mine doesn’t hold at all and I am currently carrying a wheel block on the rider seat. Hoping CSC will come up with a fix.

Have you had any issues with your parking break holding? Mine doesn’t hold at all and I am currently carrying a wheel block on the rider seat. Hoping CSC will come up with a fix.

Mine works fine; your's probably just needs to be adjusted, there's a thread on the GL form as how adjust the parking brake.

Jim

Parking brake works just fine on mine, possible that the installing dealer did not get the cable clamp tight and it has slipped. Mine will lock up tight at half pull. However on mine when new I had very little rear brake pedal because my dealer did a lousy job bleeding the rear calipers.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png