is there a difference between the 15 and 16 freewheeler?

Are you sure about that?? I don't think there where any changes other than color.

Ride Safe All, :)

Bill G

From the HD Site:

"New for 2016 on the Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra is the reduced width primary housing and derby cover along with new paint color options including custom colors.

As the Narrow Primary and Derby where new to the FLH last year and a bit useless on a bike that most of us are putting on Floorboard Extensions. The New narrower motor is nice for a bike you have to put your feet down at stops, but in my opinion a moot change for the Trike. But that is just my opinion. jc

From the HD Site:

"New for 2016 on the Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra is the reduced width primary housing and derby cover along with new paint color options including custom colors.

As the Narrow Primary and Derby where new to the FLH last year and a bit useless on a bike that most of us are putting on Floorboard Extensions. The New narrower motor is nice for a bike you have to put your feet down at stops, but in my opinion a moot change for the Trike. But that is just my opinion. jc

Just easier to standardize engine production as much as possible,I guess.

And I agree it's a good idea - Why make too different engines....But I can't consider it an upgrade or even a change for the 2016. And I'd like to hear where they got the room from for the narrow engine.

jc

Definitely an upgrade on the two wheelers. Sit on a 2015 Ultra Limited,then a 2016 model. The narrower primary is much better,unless one has a 36" inseam. :) Not much of an advantage on a trike,though.

Before triking our Street Glide,I checked into adding the narrow primary and derby cover to it. Price was going to be around $400 in parts,before any labor costs.

If the primary is now more narrow then that means probably less fluid? I wonder how much less? Every modern Harley I have had has burned out the stator. Now this may be from the design of the charging system but the heat in the primary has to be a contributing factor and I have read a couple of articles that talked about the heat issue. So with less fluid I would assume the heat issue would be worse?

Just my thoughts.

Sunman

If the primary is now more narrow then that means probably less fluid? I wonder how much less? Every modern Harley I have had has burned out the stator. Now this may be from the design of the charging system but the heat in the primary has to be a contributing factor and I have read a couple of articles that talked about the heat issue. So with less fluid I would assume the heat issue would be worse?

Just my thoughts.

Sunman

My Dealer's "Master" Tech uses 40 ounces for 103 twin cam "wet" primary oil changes regardless of case.

Bob :D

My Dealer's "Master" Tech uses 40 ounces for 103 twin cam "wet" primary oil changes regardless of case.

Bob :D

That's pretty much in line with the manual; it calls for 38 oz. wet or 45 oz. dry. The manual also states "Do not overfill the primary chaincase with lubricant. Overfilling can cause rough clutch engagement, incomplete disengagement, clutch drag and/or difficulty in finding neutral at engine idle. (00199b)".

So if the Primary is more narrow and you put the same amount of oil in it are you "overfilling" it?

How much more narrow is the primary?

Most likely a moot point. Probably doesn't make any difference.

Sunman

So if the Primary is more narrow and you put the same amount of oil in it are you "overfilling" it?
How much more narrow is the primary?
Most likely a moot point. Probably doesn't make any difference.
Sunman

Good questions.

The thinner primary's are about a 1/2 inch thinner. I do not have my manuals in front of be but the fill is several oz. less. My neighbors 16 SG has the thinner primary and I remember putting less in it. I'm thinking about 4 to 6 oz less.

The thinner primary's are about a 1/2 inch thinner. I do not have my manuals in front of be but the fill is several oz. less. My neighbors 16 SG has the thinner primary and I remember putting less in it. I'm thinking about 4 to 6 oz less.

Interesting. I would want more oil, not less, to try to keep the stator cooler.

Sunman

My '16 FW owners manual says 34 oz for a wet fill and 38 oz for a dry fill. My '15 FW was 38 oz for wet fill.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png