Man Arrested For Wearing Motorcycle Helmet in a Walmart, $250,000 Settlement Rejected

I always go into stores gas station grab a bottle of water something to eat pay for my gas with my helmet on, Crazy Shit

Very interesting, Looks like the store manager gave some false statements that the camera does not agree with

That said everyone involved screwed up, the cops were bullies, the subject did not invoke his rights to self incriminate, the sore manager lied

Be good to find out how this lawsuit ends the courts have to say

As a former military policeman I can see why the cop's being difficult. The cop is there to protect the rest of the people in the store and surrounding community. The cop sure could have handled the situation better. The manager's exaggeration of how he approached the biker sure didn't help. When dealing with the police we all have a tendency to exaggerate what happened to at least some degree.

Back when I was still working 2nd shift, sometimes my relief wouldn't come in so I'd work over an extra 4 hours which meant I didn't get off until 2:30 AM. By the time I showered and got out of the plant it would be nearly 3 AM but on occasion I'd stop at Walmart to pick up something.
At that hour I was about the only person in the store besides the employees. I could sense that all eyes were on me. (I never wear my helmet in a store.) Wonder why this biker wasn't aware of that as he's doing everything he can to attract attention to himself?

PC

As a former military policeman I can see why the cop's being difficult. The cop is there to protect the rest of the people in the store and surrounding community. The cop sure could have handled the situation better. The manager's exaggeration of how he approached the biker sure didn't help. When dealing with the police we all have a tendency to exaggerate what happened to at least some degree.

At that hour I was about the only person in the store besides the employees. I could sense that all eyes were on me. (I never wear my helmet in a store.) Wonder why this biker wasn't aware of that as he's doing everything he can to attract attention to himself?

PC

Sometimes it’s not just the cops that are A”Holes….Quite a few bikers are A”Holes….Anyone walking around in a daze with earphones and a helmet on listening to music deserves a good slap in the head…

Even though the biker could have been a bit more "normal" by removing his helmet, I wonder why, after he shopped, paid for his items, & packed them, the employees, manager, & cop didn't just shrug their shoulders and let the guy go on his way without the unnecessary confrontation. After all, he wasn't shoplifting, brandishing a weapon, or acting unruly. He just looked "different". There was a day, not so long ago, when entering an establishment wearing a mask would have caused a call to 911!

The fact that this person looked unusual MAY be cause to keep an eye out for what he was doing. But after he shopped, paid, and was clearly leaving gave no reason for all these folks to get their panties in a wad..... Jim

Come on folks … Fullface helmet , reflected face shield down , back pack on …Red Flag ….Would of had me put my hands on my weapon !

I don’t think it was wise of this guy to leave his face shield down .. but with so many surveillance cameras on him they could have watched from there, maybe gotten their people in position just in case, and left him alone unless he made some menacing moves.

He was innocent until proven guilty.. but not sure that counts in this society anymore.

I often walk into a gas stop store with my modular helmet on but with it flipped up so that my full face is shown… because I will only be there just a few minutes and don’t want to risk leaving the helmet sitting out on the bike… Additionally.. I smile at the clerk as I walk in the door… makes them feel a little less apprehensive.

I can't count the number of times I have gone into a store in full riding gear, including helmet. If mis-treated, like this individual was, I too would not settle for 250K!!!! The officer(s) were heavy handed, pompous, unprofessional, and WAY out of line. In my working life I was a bank administrator. We required a very high awareness of individuals entering our branch banks. Dealing with people, especially during Halloween required a high degree of professionalism and discretion. Traits this Walmart manager does not possess. If I were the decision maker in this case, heads would roll, and it would not be that of the biker..... Jim

I can't count the number of times I have gone into a store in full riding gear, including helmet. If mis-treated, like this individual was, I too would not settle for 250K!!!! The officer(s) were heavy handed, pompous, unprofessional, and WAY out of line. In my working life I was a bank administrator. We required a very high awareness of individuals entering our branch banks. Dealing with people, especially during Halloween required a high degree of professionalism and discretion. Traits this Walmart manager does not possess. If I were the decision maker in this case, heads would roll, and it would not be that of the biker..... Jim

Look at the Shit Sully has on his People of Walmart, (which is the best read on this site) And there busting this Guy's Balls

Yes me to. He looks like a White Supremacist Racist Republican I think he has a Trump sticker on his helmet. He should of shot the Inbreed Cop :xzqxz:

Any Bozo walking and probably ''Riding'' around ''Oblivious'' to his surroundings should be knee capped....Those are the type of people that you might end-up T'Boning..

Not defending the guy’s actions of ignoring the manager but am commenting that I have poor hearing and can understand how a helmet blocks even more sound.

I do not wear my hearing aids when wearing the helmet as its a “process” to take the helmet off.. dig out the hearing aids from their safe place.. get them fitted in.. wear them for 3 minutes.. reverse the “process”.. while everyone else is mounted up and ready to ride or waiting for me to walk into a restaurant with the group.

If I wear them under the helmet sound is WAY too loud on their lowest setting while riding and pressure from the helmet can make them uncomfortable to wear. I have been chastised many times for not being able to hear someone while wearing my helmet.

If I HAVE to hear what someone is saying while wearing the helmet I ask them to speak a little louder as the helmet cuts way down on sound.

Funny though.. I have never had a problem with hearing the speakers inside my helmet.. usually have to turn them down..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png